Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > [February] All the Light We Cannot See, by Anthony Doerr - Part 2 (spoilers for Part 1)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3824 comments Mod
Part 2 Questions

Section of book: 1-50%

Notes:
- Each member is asked to end with a question for the next member.
- If the person above you forgets to pose a question then just pick a different one from above (make sure you indicate which one you're answering!)
- If some other question from above moves you then feel free to answer as many as you want. It is a discussion after all!

1. What do you think of the structure of the book? Would it be different if it were told in chronological order?
2. Are you enjoying one character's point-of-view over the other?
3. Does Marie-Laure being blind affect the story?
4. Do you have any predictions for the rest of the story?
5. Answer the question from the person above you!

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2599 comments 1. What do you think of the structure of the book? Would it be different if it were told in chronological order?
I actually liked that the book was told in short chapters that switched fairly frequently between the two characters. It made it seem very quick to read. In terms of chronological order -- I read the book last year, so I don't remember it well enough to know how much of a difference it would have made.

I liked both of perspectives, but I was a little more interested by Werner's because that was an angle I'd never read before. I knew a bit about the Hitler Youth but never in much detail.

I don't remember it having too much of an effect.

If I recall correctly, I predicted that Werner and Marie-Laure would meet and possibly fall in love.

I'm first, so I guess I'll post the first question. What did you think of the whole storyline involving the Sea of Flames?

message 3: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments 1. What do you think of the structure of the book? Would it be different if it were told in chronological order? I think it's wonderful, because it helps to keep my attention. I really enjoy the short chapters and the frequent change of perspectives and time periods.

2. Are you enjoying one character's point-of-view over the other? I like both. Sometimes one of them is more interesting than the other one, but that depends of the part of the story and not of the character's point of view.

3. Does Marie-Laure being blind affect the story?I think so. The fact that she spends so much time with his dad in the museum in the conexion between them is especially because of this.

4. Do you have any predictions for the rest of the story? I am expecting for the moment that Marie-Laure and Werner finally meet each other. Something big should happen :)

5. What did you think of the whole storyline involving the Sea of Flames? I am not sure about its influence in the story, but it gives a touch of magic to the book. I am, anyway, a little bit afraid that the curse could be real.

My question:
What do you think of the friendship between Frederik and Werner? Do you think it will affect the story in some way?

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 9 comments 1. What do you think of the structure of the book? Would it be different if it were told in chronological order? I think it's great. It keeps you on your toes as well as building suspense because you have a foresight of where things are heading.

2. Are you enjoying one character's point-of-view over the other? I do like both, but I always find myself wanting to get back to reading Marie-Laure.

3. Does Marie-Laure being blind affect the story? Yes. I think it strengthens her relationship with her father. Practically, it also created more fear because she is reliant on others even though she is very well adapted.

4. Do you have any predictions for the rest of the story? I also imagine that at some point the two sides of the story will collide and Marie-Laure and Werner will meet.

5. What did you think of the whole storyline involving the Sea of Flames? I think it adds to the intrigue and also sprinkles a bit of magic which seems to transect both children and adults.

My question:
What do you think of the friendship between Frederik and Werner? Do you think it will affect the story in some way?

I really like the friendship. I think it will have an affect. The ethos of the Hitler's youth institutions doesn't align with friendships, so I'm worried that at some point Werner is going to have to make a choice :-(

My question is:

What do you hope/want to happen if Marie-Laure and Werner meet?

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Brown | 382 comments 1. What do you think of the structure of the book? Would it be different if it were told in chronological order?
I find the structure confusing at times, at least where the time element comes into it. I need to remind myself where I left off, but I agree it does add to the suspense. I do like the short breaks and the switches between characters.

I think I am liking Werner's just a bit more. Marie-Laure's has a tendancy of becoming wordy in my opinion. I know her pov is more descriptive because of her blindness, but I tend to skim a bit.

I think it is a way for the author to tell that part of the story. You get a different feeling of the war through Marie-Laure. You get smells, and sounds, and much more feelings.

I am guessing Werner and Marie-Laure meet? I am scared for Marie-Laure's dad since he probably has the real diamond. I am scared for Werner since he is going to be forced to do things he isn't going to want to do, and he is a good kid. I need to get back to reading.....

What do I hope to happen if Marie-Laure and Werner meet? That Werner learns the radio programs he and Jutta were listening to were actually Etienne and his brother!

My question- What do you think will happen to Jutta (and maybe the entire orphanage) as the war ramps up?

message 6: by Ali (new)

Ali (alide_08) | 213 comments 1. What do you think of the structure of the book? Would it be different if it were told in chronological order?
I like the structure. It's a way to foreshadow and give us a peek to where we're going. I think the book would be much less dramatic and suspenseful. For instance, (view spoiler) That action has been paused for a long time now but every once in a while I think about it and get worried all over again.

Overall, I find both equally engaging but I go back and forth in level of interest. Currently I'm really concerned about Madame Manec's small acts of resistance.

First, I feel like it affects the story much more subtly than I expected it to. I agree with Kelly above that other senses are woven in expertly as well as differences in how she navigates the world. Second, I love the background fear everyone has surrounding Marie's blindness and how it clashes with the idea of Aryan perfection. There's a very real threat that her mere difference could get her in a concentration camp or the subject of some terrible experiment. It's a brilliant extra level of tension.

I think Marie-Laurie and Werner will meet through Etienne's radio. That's the only current connection between them and I think it will come full circle. I worry about where Madame Manec ended up. Where is she in the 16 year old Marie narrative? I also really worry about Mr. LeBlanc. I think I disagree with Kelly and am pretty sure Marie-Laure's got the real diamond in her pocket which is equally terrifying.

5. Answer the question from the person above you- What do you think will happen to Jutta (and the maybe the entire orphanage) as the war ramps up?
Nothing good unfortunately. I hope Jutta turns into some sick amazing freedom fighter but I feel like once things start looking negative for the Reich the lives of the really poor are going to get much worse.

My question- What do you think the point of Werner's triangulation experiments are? We know he's going to have to locate something, but what do you think it is.