The Old Curiosity Club discussion

General Discussion > Please Introduce Yourself

Comments Showing 1-50 of 951 (951 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 19 20

message 1: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 829 comments Mod
“A stranger is merely a friend I haven’t met yet.”

Please introduce yourself here.

If you are comfortable doing so, tell us a bit about yourself and your experience with Mr. Dickens. If you prefer just to say Hello and leave it that, that’s fine too.

But we would appreciate the chance to greet you and acknowledge your presence as a friend among friends.

message 2: by Everyman (new)

Okay, I'll break the ice. I'm a retired former several things including teacher, corporate executive, and small town lawyer. I live on an island in the north-west corner of Washington State with my wife, a cat, and 10,000 plus books. My two daughters, their husbands, and my four grandchildren live in their own house on the same property, so I get grandchild time almost every day, which is about as wonderful as it can possibly get.

I've been an avid reader since, I'm told, I was four years old, mostly reading the classics, from Gilgamesh through the Greeks and Romans and the rest of Western classic literature up through about WWII, with an especial fondness for Chaucer, Milton, Austen, Dickens, Trollope, Hardy, and the English poets.

message 3: by Tristram (new)

Tristram Shandy | 4344 comments Mod
Then let me follow suit: I teach English in Germany and live in a pretty much underestimated city in the North of Germany (roughly). I have a perfect wife - which proves my good taste - and a son and a daughter, who keep me quite busy usually.

I do like reading a lot and have always had a special liking for English-speaking literature, especially anything Victorian. My favourite writers include Dickens, Conrad, Dostoyevsky, Shakespeare, Melville, Trollope, and I have recently discovered that I actually like Hardy a lot. I also like reading books on films and the cinema, especially on westerns and film noir.

message 4: by Peter (new)

Peter | 2922 comments Mod
The rumour that my wife and I moved to Victoria, British Columbia because I love Victorian Literature is only partly true. The fact that Charles Dickens is my favourite author is absolutely true. When not reading Dickens you will find a novel by Collins, Trollope, Hardy, M E Braddon or the like beside my reading chair.

I am happily retired which gives me more time to read and enjoy the beauty of the area. When it rains I enjoy playing the guitar. Chicago Blues never makes me unhappy.

message 5: by Natalie (last edited Feb 02, 2017 11:20AM) (new)

Natalie Tyler (doulton) Greetings. I have also taught English at various levels. My specialty is poetry and I've taught "Introduction to Shakespeare" several times. In addition to teaching as an adjunct, I've worked in a screw factory; worked as a home health care aide; worked as a waitress in a faux-Mexican restaurant in Charlottesville, Virginia, and worked as a cashier, a secretary, and a librarian. The most Dickensian job was in the screw factory, which was called (literally) HarmCo. The other Dickensian job was being a home health care aide where I worked with people names Mrs. Mash, Mrs. Cupp, Mrs. Dick, and one Mr. Todd. I love those monosyllabic names! The most ominous job I had was as secretary and personal assistant to a psychiatrist. I knew nothing at all, yet managed to ace her continuing education credentials!

When I was 8 years old my mother commenced a nightly reading of "Oliver Twist" to her children. Whether her intention was to put us to sleep, to inculcate a love of great prose, or to honor her favorite novelist is unclear but I was riveted. I have read and reread all of his novels and have discovered that there is nothing I love more than rereading.

I have been married for 44 years to a Swinburnean. We have two sons and two grandsons and in-house we have three cats. When I try to imagine how the cats think, the thoughts always come out sounding as if David Copperfield had created them.

I am also very fond of classical music and my most recent "listen" was Joyce DiDonato as Alcina.

message 6: by Bionic Jean (last edited Feb 02, 2017 11:06AM) (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Hello and I'm Jean, the first English member so far! My favourite book of all time is A Christmas Carol, which was also my Dad's favourite book. I feel lucky to have discovered the joys of reading "the Inimitable" all by myself as an adult. I instantly loved how he made made laugh - and then promptly made me cry - and I've never looked back. I've read all his novels and quite a lot more of his writings, plus some books about him, but never cease to find new things to enjoy in his work.

I live very close to where Barnaby Rudge is set, and for many years taught Primary school children in inner London schools. Who, where and what I taught was very diverse, and my reading tastes equally eclectic. I've been married to Chris for 43 years, so clearly must have been a child bride. In the last week I have been called a hell-raiser, which since I'm a bookworm rather tickled my fancy, though I do have purple hair (an act of continuing defiance since chemotherapy had temporarily left me with none).

Chris and I both love animals, and currently have a manic border collie, called "Blizzard". Chris writes, and is on Goodreads, but we perhaps wisely keep our groups separate.

I am genuinely thrilled to be here. "What larks!"

message 7: by Mary Lou (new)

Mary Lou | 2228 comments So pleased to be here -- thanks for the invitation!

For the last 10 years I've worked in our public library where I've learned to enjoy a wide variety of books, music, and movies, but Dickens is, by far, my favorite author.

My husband is retired and our nest is empty, with the exception of our last remaining pet - our 12 year old x-Lab. After she goes, we want to do some traveling before adopting others. Our two 20-something daughters (and one son-in-law) each live about an hour away, one in PA, and the other just outside of DC. We're in a tiny Maryland town nobody's heard of, but not far from Camp David and Gettysburg, both of which may ring a bell.

message 8: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (agapoyesoun) | 149 comments Hello! Testing testing!

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim | 5523 comments Mod
Hello all, it's me, the one who has managed to remain cheerful even though I have spent my entire time here with Tristram and Everyman. I live in what used to be a perfect little town when I was growing up - I still live in the same town - but now all the people I knew as a child are dead, it seems that way anyhow, and there is a lot more traffic. We used to ride our sleighs down the hill coming in to town when we were kids, if we did that now we'd be dead.

I am married to a wonderful man who has also lived his entire life right here, he is a lot older than I am (about E's age I think) and neither of us has left our little area. Now though, we have a Wal-Mart, Burger King, Dunkin Donuts, and Wal-Mart about three miles away, right in the middle of a beautiful farm we used to play at. Oh well.

Thanks to Mary Lou I am not the only person on here who isn't a teacher. I didn't think I'd make it through high school back then and I certainly wasn't going to hang around there any longer than I had to. And now I hang around with teachers, it's just amazing. Just to make you teachers feel a little better, it wasn't you I hated, it was other kids, who, at least in my day had no problem being awful to kids who just didn't fit in. For me it was because of my seizures.

Anyway, something no one knows about me is I love Christmas. I have always loved Christmas and I always will love Christmas, so anyone who feels like it may throw all the Grinchy stuff at me and it doesn't make a teeny bit of difference. :-) I'm not referring to you all - or even to one of you, (well maybe a little) but I get it a lot here at home. My husband, luckily, also loves Christmas and is always thinking of ways we can add to our Christmas decorations, gifts we are making, or people we are having to visit. It is wonderful. It is Jesus' birthday. Oh, I almost forgot, Jesus' Jesus's take your pick.

Hmm.....is that it? I don't know, I have two children, my daughter is married and she has the two best children in the world so different then she and her brother had been, at least that's what I tell her. My son is still here with us, he and his long time girlfriend just haven't seemed to get to the time when they want to leave us.

I love playing the piano and do it often, we spend quite a bit of our time going to nursing homes singing and playing for the people who now are in those places. :-( I read a lot. I've read a lot since I was a little girl, it is something easy to do when you spend weeks and weeks in a hospital. Which is a better place to be at Christmas by the way. My favorite book, other than the Bible is ..............A Christmas Carol! I love all Dickens, some of my other favorites are Trollope, Zola, Balzac, I can't remember off the top of my head who else, just think of authors from those places in those times and you'll know them. Except for Tristram, when he finally gets around to publishing that book of his, he will get on to my favorites list. And E, you should write a book too, you've done everything. I often have brilliant ideas that don't always work the first time, but I will get them all figured out eventually.

My very best friend in the whole wide world, is Willow, Wispy Willow is her full name. She is perfect, she is sweet, she is spoiled, and she is a dog. A cocker spaniel. She will be 5 years old in June and I was holding her and crying about that last night. I want dogs to live as long as people. They don't and it isn't fair.

And I love you all. There, now you know all the things about me that you already did in the first place. :-)

message 10: by Linda (last edited Feb 02, 2017 10:55AM) (new)

Linda | 362 comments Hello Friends!

I live in the Pacific Northwest just south of Seattle with my husband of 15 years, a son (10 yrs) and daughter (5 yrs), and a flock of furry and feathered friends which currently includes three kitties (Maggie 20 yrs, Bea 12 yrs, Baby Lucy 8 yrs), four hens, and one hamster (Ted 3 yrs). We are a family who loves to read, play board games, enjoy our garden, and spend vacations camping and visiting the beach.

I also enjoy all things crafty, but I tend to hop around from one thing to another - quilting, knitting, and embroidery are my main interests. As to reading, I have come to love reading Dickens since I started embarking on reading his books a mere three years ago. I also like to read a wide variety of books - classics, horror, sci-fi, contemporary, fantasy. I'll give any book a try!

Oh, and I am a scientist in a non-profit cancer research center biochemistry lab. I love the work, but when I come home from a long day I always look forward to cracking open my current book. :)

message 11: by Lynne (last edited Feb 02, 2017 10:56AM) (new)

Lynne Pennington (bluemoonladylynne) | 19 comments As usual, I am late for the carriage, running to catch up, scarf ends aloft behind me, collar askew, leaving pocket handkerchiefs like breadcrumbs behind so any other latecomers can find their way.

I live in Eastern Colorado, not close to anything but Nebraska, on the High Plains. It is easy to drive two hours and not see much but a feed lot (which I hate). The up-side is one doesn't see much traffic either. I am a retired (unwillingly) database manager/programmer/historian/librarian. And like several here, I taught college (for me as an adjunct, increasingly the way of things here in the US).

I have been married to The Cowboy (he literally was when I met him on-line) for about 15 years (I can't remember exactly--we exchanged vows privately in our living room with the pets as witnesses--you can do that in Colorado). Rescuing pets is mostly what I do now when not doing cryptograms, logic problems, or jigsaw puzzles. I get valuable cat assistance while doing the latter.

And then there is reading--and reading--and reading-------I discovered Mr Dickens as an adult when I picked up a used copy of Oliver Twist. I have never looked back. Compared to most here, I am a relative newbie to Victorian literature but making up for lost time.

This is an outstanding bunch of travelers to be "going on with" and I am grateful for your tolerance and good humor. Thanks for allowing me in the same horse-drawn conveyance with you, and if I get to be too much, I can always go up with the driver!

message 12: by Everyman (new)

Kim wrote: "I have two children, my daughter is married and she has the two best children in the world "

Well, if I were an arguing man I might argue about whose grandchildren were the best in the world, but since we're friends I'll just keep my knowledge of who the best grandchildren in the world REALLY are to myself.

As the Chinese say, there is one beautiful daughter in the world and every mother has her.

message 13: by Linda (new)

Linda | 362 comments Everyman wrote: "As the Chinese say, there is one beautiful daughter in the world and every mother has her."

I concur. :)

message 14: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (agapoyesoun) | 149 comments Wow! What interesting people I'm with!

This is my third attempt at a comment, so unlike the first one I shall be brief, I hope.

I am Irish and British, the latter as I live in Northern Ireland which is part of the UK. I have been married for over 31 years to Brendan my true love. We have 4 (3 who didn't make it) children and two dogs called Reilly (an Irish setter) and Meryl (a collie/retriever) who is technically my older daughter's. We all love to laugh. When everyone is home around the kitchen table games are played aplenty. Spontaneous concerts will break out and Charades or Articulate are the order of the day, in front of a roaring turf fire of course!

I used to do some part-time learning disability nursing with teens and young adults. They ranged from moderate learning difficulties to profound mental and physical disability.
I also tutored adults in NT Greek part-time. My first loves for years were biblical languages: NT Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Aramaic and Syriac. Now, sadly, much has faded into oblivion.

Brendan works in London as National Adviser for the Church of England on Medical Ethics and Health and Social Care Policy. He also vicars in Counties Donegal and Leitrim on the weekends. Work, work, work, but then there's Dickens. I also love Trollope, Hardy, Brontës, Dostoyevsky and more. Dickens is king though ..,

All in all, despite pain, God is good. I love life even though there are days I feel that I can't go on, but I'm not unique there! There is always a silver lining to be found. It can be well hidden but it's there.

message 15: by Everyman (new)

Hilary wrote: "Charades or Articulate are the order of the day, in front of a roaring turf fire of course!"

I love Charades, but don't now Articulate.

When I was 17, lo those many (too many) years ago I spent my summer bicycling around the British Isles traveling from relative to relative (of whom my family has many over there) or, when no relative in the area was on offer, staying in youth hostels.

None of which is relevant except that during my time in Ireland I cycled through a relentless, driving downpour from Belfast up to near Ballyvoy, across empty mile after mile of moorland where even the hardy moorland sheep looked absolutely drenched and miserable until I reached the home of a cousin and his wife who lived in a small nearly underground hut (but very comfortable for all that) and, and here I finally get to the point, they plunked me down in front of a turf fire to get warm and dry. I had read about turf fires in Beowulf up to Trollope and other authors of that era, of course, but had no notion until that moment that people in the second half of the twentieth century were still actually relying on turf fires as their only source of heat.

And now I find out that turf fires are still alive and well in the 21st century! Surfing the net in front of technology that was state of the art thousands of years old and is still in use today. Who would'a thunk it?

Xan Shadowflutter (shadowflutter) | 867 comments I never introduced myself the first time around, but now I have a second chance, so I'll do so now. I'm retired and live alone -- that's the way I like it -- except for a 13-year-old cat who owns the house. If I'm really nice to him, he won't sit on the keyboard while I type. I just sold my parents' house and moved a lot of stuff from there to here, which has spooked him. (Cats do not like change, and they let you know it.) I really need to go through all the stuff, but I'd rather do this, so I do.

I wasn't into classics earlier in my life, so I have a lot of catching up to do. When I first read Dickens, I didn't like him much, but as I've grown older, he's has gotten better.

I live in Maryland, U.S. but spend much of my time in Virginia and D.C. The museums are wonderful as is afternoon tea.

I think that's enough for now.

message 17: by Everyman (new)

Xan Shadowflutter wrote: "I never introduced myself the first time around, but now I have a second chance, so I'll do so now. I'm retired and live alone -- that's the way I like it -- except for a 13-year-old cat who owns t..."

Delighted to have you join us, and glad that you're one of those who recognizes the correct relationship between cats and cat caretakers.

BTW, I hope you will bring up the interesting question you raised elsewhere about whether the name Satis House had any connection with the Hindu concept of Sati. I don't want to steal your idea, but I found it a very interesting question.

message 18: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Pennington (bluemoonladylynne) | 19 comments Xan Shadowflutter wrote: "I never introduced myself the first time around, but now I have a second chance, so I'll do so now. I'm retired and live alone -- that's the way I like it -- except for a 13-year-old cat who owns t..."

We are all over at the Three Jolly Bargeman getting, well, jolly. I knew when I dropped the pocket handkerchiefs in my wake, people would find us. E-Man has been most beneficent with the libation of choice. Grab a spot on the settle and welcome!

Xan Shadowflutter (shadowflutter) | 867 comments I'm on my way over. I'll be bringing wine.

message 20: by Bionic Jean (last edited Feb 02, 2017 03:57PM) (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Hi Xan - "as I've grown older, he has gotten better". LOL! Funny, that. Lovely to see you here :)

For goodness' sake don't give any wine to Peter, though. Apparently he's sitting in the snug of "The Jolly Bargeman" with a silly grin on his face so has had more than enough already ;)

message 21: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Pennington (bluemoonladylynne) | 19 comments Jean wrote: "Hi Xan - "as I've grown older, he has gotten better". LOL! Funny, that. Lovely to see you here :)

For goodness' sake don't give any wine to Peter, though. Apparently he's sitting in the snug of "T..."

Don't forget the empty bottle in front of him.

message 22: by Candace (new)

Candace (cprimackqcom) Hi, I'm Candace from Arizona. Although I majored in English Literature, I don't remember reading any Dickens in any of my novels classes. I've always loved reading , but never gotten into Dickens. I promised myself this year I would read at least one novel by him. When I saw my GR friend Linda reading GE, I followed her trail and the club was just starting the book. I didn't think I was going to be a big fan in the beginning- Pip is funny- but I couldn't stop reading when I got to Miss Havisham! I see the appeal now!! I'm looking forward to some of the other books!
I enjoy history, classics, and fantasy.

message 23: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Pennington (bluemoonladylynne) | 19 comments Xan Shadowflutter wrote: "I never introduced myself the first time around, but now I have a second chance, so I'll do so now. I'm retired and live alone -- that's the way I like it -- except for a 13-year-old cat who owns t..."

Ah, cats! I think the Jolly Bargeman should have a resident feline or two. I would volunteer Lilith, but she is quite hostile to most people, though she is a capital mouser. She prefers hanging with the dogs, so if you would like to try her, I will include Jake the German wire-haired pointer.

message 24: by Mary Lou (new)

Mary Lou | 2228 comments Candace wrote: "Hi, I'm Candace from Arizona. Although I majored in English Literature, I don't remember reading any Dickens in any of my novels classes. I've always loved reading , but never gotten into Dickens. ..."

Welcome, Candace! Great Expectations is an excellent novel to get your first taste of Dickens. Hard to believe that he fell through the cracks with an English lit. degree! I hope you'll enjoy him as much as I do.

Xan Shadowflutter (shadowflutter) | 867 comments Yes, definitely a cat or two. I went to the pound once when they had just brought in and caged a cat gone feral. That's the scariest animal I have ever come across. Lord knows what would have happened if he had ever gotten hold of his handler. He was making such a ruckus even the pit bulls were cowering in their cages. Don't mess with an angry cat. If the Jolly Bargeman acquires a cat or two, it won't be long before they're mousing and bouncing.

message 26: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Welcome Candace! I'm so pleased you've found us on our first day and hope you like it here. We've got great mods and are a friendly crowd :)

Xan Shadowflutter (shadowflutter) | 867 comments Hi, Jean. Peter likes wine? I have a drinking partner.

message 28: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Hop on over to the "Jolly Bargeman" and see for yourself!

message 29: by Linda (new)

Linda | 362 comments Jean wrote: "Hop on over to the "Jolly Bargeman" and see for yourself!"

Ha ha! I love all the Jolly Bargeman talk. I can tell, it's going to be a fun place to hang out.

message 30: by Linda (last edited Feb 02, 2017 04:37PM) (new)

Linda | 362 comments Candace wrote: "Hi, I'm Candace from Arizona."

I'm glad you joined us, Candace! :)

message 31: by Peter (new)

Xan Shadowflutter wrote: "Hi, Jean. Peter likes wine? I have a drinking partner."

Yes. My singing has apparently driven all away from the table save the empty bottle in from of me.

Please join me. And if that's a red wine, please hurry.

Xan Shadowflutter (shadowflutter) | 867 comments Peter,

My favorite, Cabernet Sauvignon.

message 33: by Everyman (new)

Candace wrote: "Hi, I'm Candace from Arizona. Although I majored in English Literature, I don't remember reading any Dickens in any of my novels classes. I've always loved reading , but never gotten into Dickens. ..."

Welcome! If you didn't read Dickens in English Lit, what DID you read? Gracious, that's like not reading Shakespeare in a British Drama class!

Anyhow, glad you found us, and that you're enjoying GE. The threads for the early chapters are open for business, and the next chapter threads will be posted shortly.

Meanwhile, come on over to the Three Jolly Bargemen and meet the gang.

message 34: by Peter (new)

Xan Shadowflutter wrote: "Peter,

My favorite, Cabernet Sauvignon."

Yes, please. More.

message 35: by Kim (new)

Kim | 5523 comments Mod
Welcome to each and every one of you. Our first day is coming to an end for me so after a quick post in the TJB I will see you all tomorrow.

message 36: by Bionic Jean (last edited Feb 03, 2017 05:23AM) (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Sorry all if I got a bit tiddly last night and said slightly inappropriate things - I assure you my euphoria was all induced by the thrill of this new group - no artificial stimulants were needed :D

message 37: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 15 comments Hello Curiousers (borrowing from a completely different author).

I've followed you over from the other place. I hope that's ok, as I tend more towards the lurker side.

I came in at the Hard Times stage and kept up with that schedule ok. I haven't been following Tale of Two Cities and GE, partly because I've read them before, and partly because I am still ploughing through enjoying Little Dorrit. Hopefully I'll be back on track before OMF and Drood. A while ago, I set myself the task of reading all Mr Dickens's major novels, so I need to get with the programme soon.

Oh, and a bit about me....I live in the south of England with my first husband and one son. I was spending quite a bit of time reading, but that has been curtailed in 2017 by the Fitbit that I received for Christmas. Walking into a lamppost while reading a book, even Dickens, is not a cool look!

message 38: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 15 comments Lagullande wrote: "A while ago, I set myself the task of reading all Mr Dickens's major novels, so I need to get with the programme soon...."

I just popped into the Bargemen (lucky it's open 24 hours), and realised that what I really meant to write above was "I set myself the task of reading all the major novels by Mr Dickens...". Phew - that's me now firmly on the fence.

message 39: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) LOL! Hello Lagullande and a special welcome from me! I am so pleased you found us all, and to have a fellow Brit here :)

message 40: by Everyman (new)

Lagullande wrote: "Hello Curiousers (borrowing from a completely different author)..."

Welcome! I was sure Jean would be happy to see a fellow real Englishwoman here, and sure enough, I see she did welcome you as such.

You're certainly very welcome over here, though I would (gently, gently, certainly) encourage you gradually wean yourself from mere lurking into sharing your insights on Mr. D with us.

But whatever, as they say, floats your boat. Glad you found the Bargemen, and hope there were still a few souls there to give you welcome and keep the fire up!

message 41: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (agapoyesoun) | 149 comments Hello Jean! Ahem, you have another fellow Brit here - well technically! And Irish. I know, 'Brit' seems an odd nomenclature for an Irish woman, but I'm a 'run with the hare hunt with the hounds sort of woman. That's the rebel Irish part of me. We were 'soupers'. Though actually I think I was the one who was doling out soup rather than taking it. Mmmm, I have nothing to be proud of!!

Xan (what a cool

message 42: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 15 comments Jean wrote: "I am so pleased you found us all, and to have a fellow Brit here :) :

Thanks, Jean. It's good to have someone to share a timezone with.

Everyman wrote: "I would ... encourage you gradually wean yourself from mere lurking into sharing your insights..."

Thanks, Everyman. As soon as I get one, I promise to share it.

message 43: by Bionic Jean (last edited Feb 03, 2017 09:11AM) (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) I know I know I know! I realised as soon as I'd posted it, Hilary! Then I thought to myself that I wasn't sure which bit you came from, and tangled myself up with Great Britain, and the British Isles, and the UK. I could not think of a colloquial word for an English person and tend not to use "Englishman" or "Englishwoman" unless I want to draw attention to gender, then realised I was all too used to the US penchant for calling us all "Brits", then wondered if what I had said was necessarily excluding another already existing member anyway.

In the end I thought I was probably overthinking it! So apologies if not, and I promise you that you were in my mind, Hilary!

I also managed to miss out crediting Kim's actual posting of the banner we all decided on. I'm not doing very well at the moment :(

message 44: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (agapoyesoun) | 149 comments No, no, no, it was definitely tongue-in-cheek! I overthink EVERYTHING. The written word is particularly difficult. I usually try to flag up these things but I notice that a large chunk of my message didn't post! Perhaps it was too long!

message 45: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (agapoyesoun) | 149 comments Oh a banner? Do you mean The Old Curiosity Club? Great name. Even better than Pickwick even though it is one of my favourites!

message 46: by Tristram (new)

Tristram Shandy | 4344 comments Mod
Welcome from me, too, Lagullande! While we may not be exactly in the same timezone - there's usually one hour separating us -, we at least share the same way of writing our dates, and you will notice, in the course of our proceedings here, that the question of whether the month should go before the day or the other way around is something that most people have a lot to say about ;-) Your being around here is then yet another reason for me next time to post our lucid reading schedule again the European way. It's good your are here, in other words!

message 47: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 15 comments Tristram wrote: "...the question of whether the month should go before the day or the other way around is something that most people have a lot to say about ..."

Oh, I'm definitely not on the fence on that one ;-)

message 48: by Everyman (new)

Hilary wrote: "Oh a banner? Do you mean The Old Curiosity Club? Great name. Even better than Pickwick even though it is one of my favourites!"

She means the wonderful collage of the Dickens's Dream painting and the Dickens portrait.

message 49: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Pennington (bluemoonladylynne) | 19 comments Candace wrote: "Hi, I'm Candace from Arizona. Although I majored in English Literature, I don't remember reading any Dickens in any of my novels classes. I've always loved reading , but never gotten into Dickens. ..."

Hi Candace, you are not terribly far from me so it will be nice to have a fellow Westerner around. This is an A+ fun group, though having said that, you will be amazed at how smart everyone is also. Welcome!

message 50: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Pennington (bluemoonladylynne) | 19 comments Lagullande wrote: "Hello Curiousers (borrowing from a completely different author).

I've followed you over from the other place. I hope that's ok, as I tend more towards the lurker side.

I came in at the Hard Time..."

Glad to have you! We do not stand on ceremony here, so you may not be able to avoid speaking up, if only to comment on Everyman's grumpiness or Kim's proclivities for green jingle shoes and red hats!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 19 20