Lovers of YA discussion

Heartless
This topic is about Heartless
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives: Group Reads > Heartless - February 2017 BOTM

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jade (new)

Jade Diamond (jadediamond) | 573 comments Mod
Our BOTM for February is Heartless by Marissa Meyer.
Heartless by Marissa Meyer
Discuss as you read, but please use spoiler Tags as needed, as everyone may start at different times and reads at different speeds. (Check out the 'some html is ok' box above the post box for spoiler tags.)

Poonam | 5 comments I will be joining in on this read :)

message 3: by Kikijanika (new)

Kikijanika This'd be interesting but I doubt I won't have time. Don't want to give up hope yet, though. It's a standalone so if I'm lucky I'll be able to squeeze it in my schedule.

Farren (mmmcookies) I listened to the audiobook in December and sadly I was quite underwhelmed. The narrator was... very enthusiastic. To the point where I found myself annoyed with her and had to take a break from the book. If I could do it all over again I would just read it myself.

Angélique | 62 comments Just Finished. I am in love. If anyone could recommend another great fairytale retelling that would be great as I´m completely submerged myself into the genre.

Heartless was quite beautifully written in the whimsical style of Alice in Wonderland. It´s one of those stories where you beginning reading knowing the main character´s fate but the tension is so built that you find yourself wondering how it will end.

M.B. (emmbee89) | 9 comments Angélique wrote: "If anyone could recommend another great fairytale retelling that would be great as I´m completely submerged myself into the genre.

If you haven't read The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer, then definitely check them out. :) Otherwise, you could look into Shannon Hale (The Books of Bayern, her graphic novels Rapunzel's Revenge and Calamity Jack, and Book of a Thousand Days particularly), the Once Upon a Time series (I especially like Snow by Tracy Lynn and most of the books by Cameron Dokey), and pretty much anything by Gail Carson Levine (her stuff tends to run more MG than YA, but there's still a lot of good fairy tale retellings in her catalogue). Plus, there's always Robin McKinley's fairy tales (Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast, Rose Daughter, The Door in the Hedge, and Pegasus are my favorites) and Ice by Sarah Beth Durst to start with.

Angélique | 62 comments M.B. wrote: "Angélique wrote: "If anyone could recommend another great fairytale retelling that would be great as I´m completely submerged myself into the genre.

If you haven't read The Lunar Chronicles by [au..."

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.