Flights of Fantasy discussion

The Android's Dream (The Android's Dream #1)
This topic is about The Android's Dream
Archived Group Reads > February 2017: Sci-fi - The Android's Dream by John Scalzi

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (last edited Feb 01, 2017 08:26AM) (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Our sci-fi pick for February 2017.

May or may not include electric sheep...

Mark all spoilers OR release the wrath of the mods!

message 2: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments I'll be starting this (via audio) in a day or two. I'm excited!

message 3: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments I'm about halfway through and like it so far. Audio has been a little hard to follow sometimes because of the way Scalzi writes dialogue, but it's a light enough read that I don't feel like that's making me miss much.

message 4: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 3 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I'm only about 17% in. It was hard going getting past the fart joke. The really extended fart joke.

message 5: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments LOL yeah, that was bad.

I'm almost done with this, I have about 1.5 hours left on the audio. I like it, but it's not my favorite Scalzi. Probably going to end up around 3 stars.

message 6: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 3 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Dawn wrote: "LOL yeah, that was bad.

I'm almost done with this, I have about 1.5 hours left on the audio. I like it, but it's not my favorite Scalzi. Probably going to end up around 3 stars."

This is my first. Strangely, I've never read him - so you guys got me back to back.

message 7: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments I really like what I've read of him. Old Man's War is GREAT!

message 8: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 3 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Maybe I should grab the audio for hubby. I still have a credit left.

message 9: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 3 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Dawn, do you have the audio of Old Man's War? If so, do you participate in that 1 free book thing? If yes, could you hook me up?

message 10: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments No, I don't have the audio for Old Man's War. I read it on my kindle.

What's the 1 free book thing?

message 11: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 3 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Dawn wrote: "No, I don't have the audio for Old Man's War. I read it on my kindle.

What's the 1 free book thing?"

So its a [relatively] new program:
http://audible.custhelp.com/app/answe...

What is Audible Send this Book?

The best book recommendations often come from the people who know us best. With that in mind, Send this Book is a feature that allows you to give the experience of a great listen to the people in your life.

Send this Book allows you to send the audiobooks in your library to friends and family. It is free for you to send. And if it is your recipient's first time accepting an audiobook through this feature, it will be free for her/him. Members and non-members can redeem titles and once redeemed, can send that book to others using Send this Book.

Simply tap Send this Book from your library or app, choose the method to send the title and enter the recipients' information.

message 12: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 3 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments BOOM! Finished it!

I have to say that... I wasn't that impressed - it was ok. I had a hard time keeping up with who's who.

I was also rather astonished that Scalzi was able to continue that much silliness that long.

But it's very readable.

message 13: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments I think you will like Old Man's War a lot better. I agree about not being able to keep track of who's who, and with the silliness factor as well. It was enjoyable, but not his best!

message 14: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 3 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Dawn wrote: "I think you will like Old Man's War a lot better. I agree about not being able to keep track of who's who, and with the silliness factor as well. It was enjoyable, but not his best!"

I hope so! Already picked my copy at the library so I'm ready to go!