Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

Duplicity
This topic is about Duplicity
Book Club Selection > Spoiler Discussion (February 2017) - Duplicity, by Sibel Hodge

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

David Gooch | 3959 comments Mod
******* THIS THREAD MAY GIVE INFORMATION AWAY IF YOU HAVEN'T READ OR FINISHED THE BOOK ******

This is a spoiler thread for theFebruary Value Book Read, Duplicity, by Sibel Hodge
Post in here if you wish to comment on the book and discuss details that may spoil or give away important or pertinent details for those who haven't read or finished the book yet.

I will be writing a proper review in due course. I have put this in here (spoiler thread) though as not to spoil the read for others.

I am not normally a big fan of books that reveal the culprit half way through and then show the detective trying to prove it. However this is well written and still has the suspense for the reader and as I expected there is a twist at the end. On top of that the idea for the murder and the murderer is indeed quite clever and I maybe would have preferred the reveal on that on at the end of the book but still enjoyed the book.

It is very well written and the authors does paint a picture of the characters. The Acting DI is an incompetent idiot with the bedside manner of an oaf. The murderer is a scheming bitch. The main detective is a clever bloke but is struggling with personal issues affecting his decision making but ultimately his intelligence will work it out. These characters jump out as this because they are so well written that you can picture them. The book even though you may know one of the culprits makes you want to read on to see if they get away with it or are caught because it is written so well.
A four star from me but a five had the reveal on the main culprit not been so early in the book.

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) This is just a comment to put me in the amazon voucher give away. Neither of these were large print books so it takes me much longer than a month to read them. :-(

Bill Kupersmith | 541 comments Mod
I probably would fail to notice those hesitations about which hand to use & surely not conjectured that the real Alissa might have a double. Also if I were asked about details in the novel she is writing I would either @ least skimmed it or simply said, 'Oh, I never discuss work in progress.'

Yes I probably would too.

Also I still find it hard to believe that anyone in the bath wouldn't here an intruder in the house.
Finally just what are the odds that twins separated at birth in the UK and one ends up in Australia? Now what are the odds that those are identical twins and they will meet by chance in Australia when the other is on a holiday?

Bill Kupersmith | 541 comments Mod
David wrote: "Yes I probably would too.

Also I still find it hard to believe that anyone in the bath wouldn't here an intruder in the house.
Finally just what are the odds that twins separated at birth in the U..."
I'd say zero about meeting. But having once totally unexpectedly encountered a former student in the Sydney Opera House, I think that where foreign holiday makers follow a fairly beaten path, the odds would be long but not astronomical.

Desirae_nicole I actually stopped reading once the twin was revealed. I did catch the left/right hand signing thing, and about how the wife no longer offered lunch to the maid. I wasn't pushed to keep reading. Some books I like, some I don't bother finishing. I can't tell what the difference is myself, so I just try a lot of books. :)