The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Peter Capaldi to bow out from Doctor Who at the end of 2017

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim | 477 comments It says he "shocked fans" but this isn't new, it's just official now. He's been talking about this since the start of the last season, almost 2 years ago. I like Richard Ayoade but I don't think he'd make a good Doctor.

message 3: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1611 comments I wished he got better materials. the writing has been very weak at times.

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim | 477 comments Silvana wrote: "I wished he got better materials. the writing has been very weak at times."

It has been a bit odd. He's had some great episodes but I didn't like the whole rock star thing. After this season we also get a new showrunner so hopefully it'll be a full series refresh.

message 5: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3829 comments He did his best, but it never gelled. In Capaldi's defense, the showrunner has been spending his best efforts on Sherlock. I agree with Capaldi, time to move on with a wave and a smile.

message 6: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Jan 31, 2017 05:49PM) (new)

Tassie Dave | 3462 comments Mod
Hayley Atwell should be the new Doctor.
It might give the show the boost it has been lacking for the last few doctors.

description

message 7: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6691 comments Mod
Tassie Dave wrote: "Hayley Atwell should be the new Doctor.
It might give the show the boost it has been lacking for the last few doctors.

"

I'd love that. But they won't do it. Or anything daring.

Personally I thought Capaldi was great as the doctor. The stories weren't always as good as under Tennant or Smith, but he was a good addition imho.

message 8: by Andy (new)

Andy (andy_m) | 311 comments I couldn't handle the grumpy doctor after Matt Smith, it just never worked for me. I actually stopped watching Doctor Who and I almost never give up on TV shows. I stuck with Lost until the end!

I will give the next doctor a chance! Go big or go home, lets hope they go big.

message 9: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Rob wrote: "I'd love that. But they won't do it. Or anything daring."

I think they will try something different. It can't hurt and may give the show a needed boost.

I'm no judge of what is good in this series though. I haven't watched much Doctor Who since Tom Baker left a few Doctors ago. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th Doctors were my era of watching it.

message 10: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Whereas I've only watched the stuff from Eccelton-> minus a few older episodes here and there.

message 11: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 878 comments I've seen all of New Who (some Classic), and I have to say, the last two series have not been my favorite. So this news does not effect me as much as Tennant or Smith leaving did. I am ready to see what Chris Chibnall has to offer to the Whoniverse, and there is still Series 10 to be seen, plus the Christmas Special.

message 12: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

I have watched 1 or 2 episodes of each new Doctor, just not every episode of every season.

A Hayley Atwell version, if it brought the same energy and fun of S1 of Agent Carter would get me watching more often.

I haven't watched any Capaldi. Are there any especially good episodes of his anyone would recommend?

message 13: by Rob, Roberator (new)

I loved the Christmas Special he did with Alex Kingston in 2015. There are others too, but I'd have to refresh my memory as it's been awhile now.

message 14: by Louie (last edited Feb 02, 2017 07:31PM) (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 878 comments ^Yeah, that is a good one. It's called, The Husbands of River Song, probably my favorite of Capaldi's. We'll see what Series 10 has in store.

I would also recommend Time Heist, Kill the Moon, and Sleep No More.

message 15: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Thanks, I will check out those episodes. :-)

message 16: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8062 comments Topical:

message 17: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3829 comments ExDirt-inate!

message 18: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

John (Taloni) wrote: "ExDirt-inate!"

description

message 19: by Darren (new)

Darren The Dalek's just in there using that plunger.