What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > WWII - either about WWII (historical, but not dry) or set in WWII (especially books with heavy sci-fi, fantasy, or magical realism elements)

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (ikklekins) | 20 comments I'm looking for books either about WWII (historical, but not dry) or set in WWII (especially books with heavy sci-fi, fantasy, or magical realitsm elements).

message 2: by Rosa (last edited Jan 31, 2017 09:53AM) (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5099 comments These are some of my favorite WWII historical novels (though I'm afraid none of them are fantasy or sci-fi):
Someone Named Eva
The Green Glass Sea (Actually, this one comes close to sci-fi)
Fair Stood the Wind for France
When My Name Was Keoko

And these are two great books about the art and posters of the war:
Propaganda: The Art of Persuasion, World War II
Cartoons for Victory

The Chronicles of Narnia are set DURING the war, but barely mention it.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1529 comments Snow Falling on Cedars is set in the 1950s but has a lot of discussion about WWII particularly US-Japanese relationships during and after.

Behind the Scenes at the Museum is also set postwar but has several flashbacks to the main character's families' experiences in wartime England. There are also some magic realism elements.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 9: by Fresno Bob (last edited Feb 02, 2017 02:43PM) (new)

Fresno Bob | 126 comments The Painted Bird is about a young boy travelling from Poland into Germany during the war, has some horrific elements that still stick with me 30+ years after reading it

Bitter Seeds is the first in a trilogy of nazi "Ubermench" battling British lovecraftian warlocks during WW2

message 10: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 190 comments Unknown Soldiers was written by a veteran based in part on his own experiences from the war.

message 11: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 474 comments Cryptonomicon tells two stories, one during WWII and the other in the modern world about people looking for gold looted during WWII. The WWII story is about a soldier who gets sent all over the damned place trying to keep the Nazis from learning that the Allies have cracked their codes. Basically he has to manufacture evidence of other ways information could have been learned.

Good book, and my description doesn't do it justice.

message 12: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
The Spy Wore Red is a suggestion.

message 15: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 1 comments Gone to Soldiers is a World War II historical fiction story. Covers the War from the point of view of characters in the United States. An excellent novel--I have read much historical fiction and this is near the top of my list.

message 16: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
While not having any fantastical elements (either sci-fi or fantasy type) I'm still going to suggest Alistair MacLean as a good author to check out.

He has several books set in that era, and that were then made into movies. Where Eagles Dare (starring Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton.)

The Guns of Navarone (starred Anthony Quinn, Gregory Peck and David Niven.)

I think that Hms " Ulysses " is a WWII book, but it's been a LOT of years since I read this one, so am not totally sure. (And no movie for this one.)

South by Java Head Again, no movie

Partisans

Force 10 From Navarone Again a movie starring Robert Shaw and Harrison Ford (this was made not too long after he starred in a little unknown film called Star Wars.

There might be one or two more in the multitude of books that Alistair MacLean wrote, but I can't remember their titles off the top of my head.

message 17: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty Fitch | 7 comments If you can find a copy of "Homing" by Elswyth Thane, it's the final book in a series of historical novels about an American/English family. It covers the first few years of WWII in England -- the London Blitz, blackouts and the Home Guard, etc. The connection between two of the main characters borders on reincarnation.

message 18: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 19: by David (new)

David (jazztea) | 63 comments Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian. It'll have you crying in one or two places in the book.

message 21: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 389 comments Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman
Suite Française by Irene Nemirovsky
Briar Rose by Jane Yolen (magical realism elements)

message 22: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (manduck) | 112 comments A couple more to add to the list...

The Love That I Have

The Book Thief

message 25: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34395 comments Mod
Laura wrote: "Life After Life"

Seconding Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

message 26: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 21 comments There are some great suggestions on this thread. One that I would add is Survivor by Lesley Pearse. It is part of a series but only so far as the protagonist is the daughter of the protagonist from the earlier books. It definitely works as a standalone

message 27: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys. Soon to be a movie called Ashes in the Snow. No fantasy, but it is incredibly accurate and interesting. Also Wolf by Wolf by Ryan Graudin. Alternate WWll history with shapshifters. ;)

message 28: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments I also second The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. It is heartbreaking, beautiful, and inspiring.

message 29: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38240 comments Mod
https://www.goodreads.com/series/4494...

Bernie Gunther series. He is a former German soldier, ex-cop, now a private eye. The series starts before the beginning of the war and continues into it, set in Berlin, and continues after it's over.

message 30: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 31: by Zara (new)

Zara (zara124) | 76 comments I'd strongly recommend 'The Bronze Horseman' it's a romance but not a fantasy book.

message 32: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

The Tin Drum is literary fiction (with magical realism) set before, during, and after WWII in Poland and Germany.

message 33: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

The Sparsholt Affair has one section set during the war, in England.

message 34: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Nov 25, 2019 09:15AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1874 comments To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis is partially set in WWII, although mostly in Victorian England. Time-travelers attempted to locate a Victorian MacGuffin that was apparently destroyed during a WWII bombing raid.

message 35: by Ann (last edited Nov 25, 2019 03:34PM) (new)

message 36: by Jill (new)

Jill Enriquez | 1 comments Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky | Suite Française

Posthumous novel by a Jew living in German-occupied France during WWII. The first part is about how people tried to flee from the chaos of war while the second part touches on the actual occupation of France.

Someone Named Eva by Joan M. Wolf | Someone Named Eva

The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen | The Devil's Arithmetic

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay | Sarah's Key

message 37: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1354 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

A Lady out of time. Time traveller to try and adjust the past. Think it was wwii.

message 38: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1088 comments Operation Chaos, by Poul Anderson Operation Chaos

message 39: by Rosa (new)

message 40: by Joy (new)

Joy | 23 comments "Written on the Wind" by Judith Pella

message 41: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

The Magus is set in the 1950s but has flashbacks to WWII in an occupied country.

message 42: by Glenna (new)

Glenna | 12 comments We Die Alone by David Howarth was a fascinating book. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 43: by Pearson (new)

Pearson Prael | 10 comments The Keep is about nazi troops setting up camp in an ancient stone fortress and start experiencing supernatural occurrences. This is horror si-fi.

message 44: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1088 comments Operation Sea Lion by Leo McKinstry (Note: This is non-fiction.) Operation Sea Lion

message 45: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

City of Thieves is set in the Siege of Leningrad.

message 46: by Joseph (new)

Joseph DeBolt | 8 comments The Proteus Operation by James P. Hogan involves time travel to change the outcome of World War II when the fascists won. (Hey, it must have worked!)
On a wider scale, Harry Turtledove has a series of World War II science fiction novels, starting with Worldwar: In the Balance, in which, at the height of World War II, earth is invaded by aliens! Publishers Weekly dubbed Turtledove "The Master of Alternate History".
Another possibility is The Iron Dream, by Norman Spinrad

message 48: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Jackdaws is a thriller about the French resistance.