Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Barry's Jan 2017

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2929 comments The Last Minute: Jeff Abbott
AN ex-CIA wet operator who has his child taken from him. One wonders what he will do to get him back, as well as what he will do when everybody around him seems to have a different and conflicting agendas. The simple answer is he kills bad guys till he gets what he wants. Sometimes though, things are not simple… (B+)

The House Husband: Duane Swierczynski
Another good author now in the thrall of James Patterson. This is his latest concept, a book about 150-175 pages meant to be read in a single setting. For a short book, this is a delightfully twisted tale of a stay at home father who decides to kill off dysfunctional families. (B+)

The Commodore: PT Deuterman
A continuation of his tales of naval action in the WW2 Pacific, focusing on group destroyer action against the Japanese during the fight for Guadalcanal (B+)

Prayers the Devil Answers; Sharon McCrumb
Set during the depression, a woman loses her husband and takes his job as sheriff, a good idea until a murder forces her to be the executioner in a place where people are not even convinced a woman should have a job. As good as the story is though, it serves mostly as a vehicle for McCrumb’s description of life during the depression, painted on a canvas of words, and leaving you to feel as if you were there. (B+)

Fatal Thunder: Larry Bond
How can I not like this, a story of submarine vs submarine combat in the 21st century. (for those that do not know, that is what I once did for a living). This is a 4th book to an existing trilogy, and brings back most of the major characters. (B+)

Lie Still: Julia Heaberlin
Desperate housewives in a small town, but with rape and murder thrown in for good measure. (B)

The Jewel in the Crown: Paul Scott
The start of the quartet that PBS did so well. It took me a bit to relate to each chapter being told from a different standpoint, but being left to figure out for myself whose standpoint it was. Book 1 answered for me much of the mystery of Hari Kumar, an early character in PBS that then seemed to go away. This series is the end of British colonial rule in India and is set during the second world war. (B)

The Day of the Scorpion: Paul Scott
Book 2 of the Raj Quartet. Much late was information here, and a continuation of what happened with both Kumar and Merrik that went beyond the mini series. Some intriguing glimpses into the existence of Pandit Baba who should weigh much larger in the story of India s this progresses. (B)

The Enemy inside: Steve Martini
A Paul Madriani mystery/legal thriller. It’s the last thing you could imagine, the government is corrupt! Legally, this is pretty lightweight, but a decent thriller, and plenty of blood flows. (B)

We are Legion (We are Bob): Dennis Taylor
Science Fiction, a man hit by a car in our day and age has his head removed and frozen. Cryogenics is subsequently outlawed, but he is thawed to use his brain to be the intelligence in a space probe, launched just as the earth devolves into nuclear war. What is a smart space probe to do? (B)

True Faith and Allegiance: Clancy/Greaney
Jack Ryan Jr, and of course, the old man once again trying to stave off the forces of evil. An enemy hacker has figured out how to find anybody with a security clearance granted in the United States. Ryan must figure out how, and how to stop him as incalculable damage is done. (B)

Curtain of Death: WEB Griffin
Post WW2, tales of the birth of the CIA, with a much greater emphasis no personality than story. (B)

Let Me Go: Chelsea Cain
I’m thinking this series is reaching the end of the line. There are only do many ways that beautiful serial killer Gretchen can interact with the cop she tortured, Archie. I think I have seen enough of them. (B-)

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments WOW, a lot of books, good month.

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3586 comments Great month! Read Prayers the Devil Answers back in the spring. Thought the book was just okay, but do love her writing style.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14163 comments Nice month Barry. The House Husband might tempt me to read a Patterson book with Duane Swierzyniski as co-author.
Sharon McCrumb does write atmospheric times and settings. Another I might try. It's been a while.

message 5: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2929 comments This was a strange month for me. I did a 3000 mile train trip with my sister, we spent over a week together, the first time we have spent any significant time together in maybe 45 years. It was also the first time our mother has seen us together in over 4 decades.
Instead of my usual second suitcase of books, I had a full loaded Kindle Voyage for the trip, and it worked great, though when they say is if good for a week of reading, they certainly do not mean at my usual pace.
I'll be passing through Nashville again this May on the bike, and again will probably miss you since I'm traveling with a pack. Too bad, this one generated stories. Carol will get them soon enough I hope.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14163 comments Barry: How nice to spend time with your sister! Are you referring to the battery life on the Kindle Voyage? I have found exaggerated battery claims from most electronics..
Let me know when you are in town in May and maybe an opportunity to meet will present itself!

Barry wrote: "Instead of my usual second suitcase of books, I had a full loaded Kindle Voyage for the trip, and it worked great, though when they say is if good for a week of reading, they certainly do not mean at my usual pace.
I'll be passing through Nashville again this May on the bike, and again will probably miss you since I'm traveling with a pack. .."

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7753 comments Barry wrote: "Let Me Go: Chelsea Cain
I’m thinking this series is reaching the end of the line. There are only do many ways that beautiful serial killer Gretchen can interact with the cop she tortured, Archie. I think I have seen enough of them. (B-)..."

I stopped after the first one, Barry. I really liked Archie and his detecting methods but the Gretchen-Archie twisted sick scenes made my stomach turn.

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7753 comments Barry wrote: "I'll be passing through Nashville again this May on the bike, and again will probably miss you since I'm traveling with a pack. Too bad, this one generated stories. Carol will get them soon enough I hope. .."

Can't wait! We had to cancel our road trip (for me) to see Live by Night as it is gone from the theaters down there. There should be something else coming out soon, as everyone seems to be selling their books for movies. I'm lobbying for Peter Swanson's The Kind Worth Killing, but no word of that being made into a movie yet although I think it's been optioned.

message 9: by Sherry (last edited Feb 01, 2017 04:06AM) (new)

Sherry  | 3557 comments carol wrote : We had to cancel our road trip (for me) to see Live by Night as it is gone from the theaters down there.

bummer for you, but good for me since i wasn't able to go. looking forward to our next outing. :)

message 10: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2929 comments I found the battery life got me about through one big fat book. Lots of time to read on a train though.

message 11: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments Pretty violent month. Right up your alley.

message 12: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1178 comments Two down already for your determination list.

While I don't really like James Patterson's books, he does have an eye for talent. I have really enjoyed some of his various co-authors' work.

message 13: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1592 comments You get a "wow" from me too Barry!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The House Husband (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

James Patterson (other topics)