What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Little Whizz and the Weather Spell
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Illustrated 80s (?) children's chapter book about a boy wizard and his friends (including a female jack-in-the-box) - pre-Harry Potter and possibly a British book. [s]

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mel (last edited May 24, 2020 01:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel | 8 comments UPDATE: I finally found this book - it's called Little Whizz and the Weather Spell by Ruth Thomson. Not sure how I can change the status of this to 'solved'?

I read a book as a child in the late 80s/early 90s about a young male wizard (pre-Harry Potter and for younger kids). It was a middle grade chapter book with illustrations. The wizard had dark hair and wore a dark blue/purple cloak with stars on it and a matching tall pointed wizard-like hat. He had some friends and one was a female jack-in-the-box - she looked like a doll but she was a jack-in-the-box.

I think it was a British book and it might have been a series, I remember the first chapter of the book I had featured an illustration of the boy-wizard asleep in his bed and bedroom window was open so you could see it was raining outside. Any ideas?! Thanks in advance,

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37385 comments Mod
Check out these other threads which are/were looking for books with wizards, pre-Harry Potter. One was solved.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 3: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel | 8 comments Thanks for the other threads - I've had a look and it isn't any of the books suggested in these.

message 4: by Ayshe (last edited Mar 12, 2017 02:12PM) (new)

message 5: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4105 comments I found this description:
William, the Wizard who Wasn't is about a reluctant wizard who lives at Waiting Dog Creek. While most of his spells are bungled, he is able to bring about a meeting of the world powers when a war threatens.
in The Oxford Companion to Australian Children's Literature

message 6: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel | 8 comments Unfortunately that's not it but thanks so much Ayshe!

message 7: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments A book by Enid Blyton?

message 8: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel | 8 comments No it wasn't by Enid but thanks!

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37385 comments Mod
Mel, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 10: by Taelle (new)

Taelle The Wizard Of Rondo perhaps? No Jack-in-the-box the box, but there is a music box that is a key part of the story.

message 11: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel | 8 comments Still haven’t found it Lobstergirl! 😔

message 12: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel | 8 comments Taelle, don’t think it’s Wizard if Rondo but thanks! 🙏

message 14: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel | 8 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Wizard's Hall?"

Thanks Rainbowheart but that's not it. Your reply actually got me thinking about this book again so I started googling it in different ways and I FINALLY found it. It's called Little Whizz and the Birthday Surprise by Ruth Thomson. I found it on ebay and Amazon but it's not listed on Goodreads.

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Whizz-W...

message 15: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 1886 comments Well done for finding it! I've just added it to Goodreads. Here's the link - Little Whizz and the Weather Spell

message 16: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 1886 comments Sorry, you actually said it was Little Whizz and the Birthday Surprise - I've added that one too.

message 17: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel | 8 comments Becca wrote: "Well done for finding it! I've just added it to Goodreads. Here's the link - Little Whizz and the Weather Spell"

Thanks Becca - I made a mistake and mentioned two different books by the same author but thanks for adding both! The one I remember reading as a child was Little Whizz and the Weather Spell.

message 18: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15257 comments Yay, glad you found it!