The Not-So-Hypothetical Victorian Literature Course #VicLit discussion

General discussions > Introductions!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie Lumsden (katie-booksandthings) | 28 comments Mod
Good day to you all and welcome to the Not-So-Hypothetical Victorian Novel Course!

As I am taking the course metaphor to as great extremes as possible, we may as well go around the room and introduce ourselves. So, let's have names, interesting facts, and favourite Victorian novels, perhaps?

I am Katie. If you are here, you probably know me from Books and Things. My favourite novel is Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens and I love Victorian literature.

On another note, there will be more details in a video announcement about this later on in the week.

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen (book-vixen) Hello everyone,

My name is Karen and I am in my last year in a diploma in Victorian literature. I have not found the one book I love as of yet

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura | 1 comments Hi, I am probably the most novice of the group. I did Eng Lit at A-Level, longer ago than I would care to elaborate on!! before my career took on a more scientific path. I look forward to getting more embroiled in victorian literature, as I now enjoy historical reading as a hobby, and want to learn more.

message 4: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Hi, I'm Natalie and I studied English Literature/Drama/Film-making at University so long ago now that it pains me to think about. I homeschool my two kids, well, one now, as my eldest has graduated and is off to college this fall. I have worked part-time at various jobs, including being a library assistant at our local library, and freelance editing. I loved Bleak House by Charles Dickens, North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell and so many others that I won't list here because this introduction would be ridiculously long. I watched Katie's You Tube video on the hypothetical Victorian Novel course and thought it was brilliant. I'm thrilled that she started this group so we can all chat about what we read.

message 5: by Vicky (new)

Vicky Churchill Hi I'm Vicky
I'm a massive novice in terms of Victorian literature but I really want to expand my reading tastes. I've read Oliver Twist and I love most of Arthur Conan Doyle's work. I haven't studied English since high school as I took a more scientific route with my studies

message 6: by Essannia (last edited Jan 30, 2017 03:39AM) (new)

Essannia Dahi | 1 comments Hi I'm Essannia, I like reading reading 19th century literature in general and my favorite victorian novel is "The Odd Women" by George Gissing. I like Katie's channel and her passion about Books and Dickens. I'v read my first Dickens last year "Bleak House" but unfortunately didn't like it that much.

message 7: by Beatrizmallow (new)

Beatrizmallow Hi! I'm Bea I'm from Spain I have a degree in English language and literature, I love Victorian literature, it's difficult to choose only one favourite but maybe Jane Eyre and much to Katie's dismay I still haven't found a book by Dickens that I love, maybe this will help me to finally find one.

message 8: by Olivia (new)

Olivia | 1 comments Hey! My name's Olivia. I'm largely a beginner when it comes to reading Victorian literature. Although I have read a few ( Dicken's a tale of two cities and some of the sherlock holmes short stories), none of them have particularly stuck with me. I normally gravitate to more modern/contemp lit, and honestly those huge 1000 paged books do intimidate me. I'm hoping, by joining this club, that it'll give me the push i need to finally read (and enjoy) more books from that era.

message 9: by Marissa (new)

Marissa (blatantlybookish) | 1 comments Hi! My name is Marissa. I studied some Victorian literature in college, but it's been quite a while. I'm thrilled that this idea is no longer quite so hypothetical! It's hard to pick favorites, but I've always been partial to Jane Eyre. I haven't read most of the books that Katie plans to discuss in this group, so I'm very excited! (and I hope I find the time to read them all).

message 10: by hayls 🐴 (new)

hayls 🐴 (hayleycate) | 1 comments Hey, I'm Hayley :) Didn't study English lit in any way after high school, where we read the requisite Dickens (Great Expectations). I consequently haven't read much Victorian literature, but I did manage to catch up on Jane Eyre, A Tale of Two Cities, Middlemarch, some Sherlock stories, and Far From the Madding Crowd during university (and I do love Sherlock, Jane Eyre, and Madding Crowd.. the others were difficult for me). It's not a genre I generally gravitate towards because the writing style can be heavy, and I sometimes struggle to remain interested.. so I'm hoping y'all can show me what I'm missing out on!

message 11: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Hi! I'm Jamie and I was a librarian at my local library for 7 years. I've been reading Victorian lit since I was 13. ( I had watched a film adaptation of Great Expectations on PBS, got obsessed with it, and decided to read the book.) My favorite Victorian novels so far are North and South and Far From the Madding Crowd.

message 12: by Bailey (new)

Bailey | 1 comments Hi everyone! My name is Bailey. I'm not super experienced with Victorian literature (I haven't read anything by Charles Dickens), but I'm fascinated by the period and eager to read more. I really liked North and South, and Tess of the D'Urbervilles is one of the best books I've ever read. I'm only 16, so I definitely don't have any advanced degrees in English literature!

message 13: by Khashayar (new)

Khashayar Mohammadi Hi! I'm Khashayar! I left University in my first year and never finished my studies. I'm a Chef by day but I've been writing my first novel since last november (I'm 21'000 words in) and my favorite book of the Victorian era is "Picture of Dorian Gray".

Also I have a joke that this group will get very well. I once attended a lecture on Russian fiction in the University of Toronto and asked the lecturer who her favorite Russian writer was. She said "Charles Dickens".

message 14: by Mike (new)

Mike (literallyliterary) | 6 comments Hi folks. My name's Mike. I haven't even seen the video on this hypothetical course, but I do love me some Dickens and find books from that era interesting. I'm definitely into the idea of reading more of it and look forward to conversing with you all. Oh and I never studied English or anything. I just love to read and write from time to time.

message 15: by Kiana (new)

Kiana | 1 comments Hi! I'm Kiana. My favorite Victorian novel is probably Wuthering Heights so far...though it's really hard to pick a favorite. Most victorian novels I've read are the ones I've read in my childhood and early teen years so I'm really excited to re-read and read more from the era and discuss them.

message 16: by Carla (new)

Carla (Carla's Book Bits) (carlasbookbits) This course sounds like a lovely idea!

Hi guys, my name is Carla, and I am a complete novice to Victorian literature. Although the few that I've read, I absolutely loved. My absolute favorite would probably be David Copperfield by Dickens, as I've re-read that book more than a handful of times in my life. What I love about Victorian novels so far is the language. The writing style always feels so decadent and smooth. I'm really excited about this group, I think I could gain a lot from being able to read more Victorian lit with an analytic lens.

message 17: by Maria (last edited Jan 30, 2017 05:05AM) (new)

Maria Hi,

I'm Maria, I'm from Norway, and like many of you, I've also studied literature at uni. I ended up working with something completely different, but do still proofread, although it's mostly related to law/regulations in my field of work.

Victorian literature (and gothic literature as well) is something I would like to read a lot more of, so it will be really interesting to see what this group will develop into. Thanks for the invite, Katie :)

message 18: by Pam (new)

Pam Robertson | 1 comments Hi! I'm Marianne and I love Victorian literature. I live in the U.K. Near Manchester and I am slightly book mad. I studied English at University.

Trying to pin down a favourite Victorian novel is too hard, but I do have a weak spot for George Eliot's Daniel Deronda and also anything by Thomas Hardy. Thanks for forming this group, Katie.

message 19: by Kevin (last edited Feb 06, 2017 12:38PM) (new)

Kevin Varney Hi, I am Kevin. I have been reading C19th books, mostly British, for about five years. My favourite was Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. Looking back over my GoodReads ratings, the only other Victorian book I gave five stars to was The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling, which hardly seems like a Victorian book. I prefer to read them slowly, and I usually read about two other books concurrently, typically something non-fiction and something more modern.

Edit: I suppose I should say I'm from Reading, the biggest town in England, according to a pub quiz I once took part in.

message 20: by Daniela (new)

Daniela (ahabs_daughter) | 1 comments Hi everyone,

I'm Daniela, I'm from Germany and reading has always been my favourite hobby although I went into science at uni and I work in education now. I like reading classics, but when work and family take their toll I find myself grabbing some easier read most of the time. I hope this group is just the incentive I need to change that.
I'm rather a novice to Victorian literature, my favourite so far is Jane Eyre.
I'm looking forward to discovering new Victorian literature gems with all of you.

message 21: by Alch (new)

Alch | 1 comments Hi I love many books but the Victorian era is a fascination for me. I'm gradually reading all of Dickens - planning to read Dombey and Son this year and start the Barsetshire Books by Trollope. My all time favourites are Jane Eyre and Our Mutual Friend. I enjoy watching Books and Things and look forward to this group. I also like adding Victorian London pins on Pinterest!

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_hermes) Hello,

My name is Sarah and I'd love to join in. I just recently started reading and developing an interest in Victorian literature. A few years ago I studied Asian Literature & Culture as an undergraduate. During the years since then I've become more interested in British literature in general. I think a group like this would be great for focusing in on some must reads.

message 23: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Jackson | 1 comments Hi I'm Daniel. I've read a fair few Victorian novels - my favourites are Wuthering Heights, Middlemarch and Tess of the d'Urbervilles - and discovering Katie's brilliant channel recently has inspired me to read even more. I'm really looking forward to her sharing more of her amazing knowledge of Victorian literature with us in this course!

My (possibly) interesting fact is that I'm related to one of the more obscure Victorian novelists Katie has mentioned on her channel, Richard Jefferies. He was something like my great-great-great-uncle!

message 24: by Kira Zoe (last edited Feb 02, 2017 03:53PM) (new)

Kira Zoe | 8 comments Hey everyone, lovely to meet you... I'm Kira, on the internet mostly going by Zoe.
Most of my time is spent in school trying to get the German equivalent of A-Levels, but by avoiding to build up an excessively successful social life, I still pass a lot of time with a book in my hand.
Although it's only been a handful, I've massively enjoyed all my forays into Victorian Literature, but just going by ratings and emotional attachment, my favourites are probably Jane Eyre and North and South.

message 25: by Anna (new)

Anna | 1 comments Hello everybody, this not-so-hypothetical literature course sounds like a great idea and I am really looking forward to the discussions.
I'm Caprice, I study law in Innsbruck, Austria. I've read a few Dickens novels and a lot of Arthur Conan Doyle and I am looking forward to reading more Victorian stuff. I just ordered Jane Eyre on Amazon :)

message 26: by Beth (last edited Jan 31, 2017 09:01AM) (new)

Beth (rosewoodpip) Greetings! Beth here. I grew up in Missouri and now live in southern California.

I saw a GoodReads friend (Maria) join a few days ago and it sounded fun, so here I am!

Background? I have a Literature degree, and in the '90s I was on a mailing list that discussed Trollope and other Victorian works. I'm more of a dabbler than a devotee, but am always willing to learn more.

I'm especially interested in women writers of the period, and am happy to see some on the schedule already.

message 27: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Graciolli | 2 comments Hi! I'm Carol. I am brazilian, but I've been living in Buenos Aires, Argentina for almost two years now, I've just went back to college to study Literature.
My favourite victorian novel is probably The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

message 28: by Heather (new)

Heather Snyder | 3 comments Hi! My name is Heather, and my favorite Victorian novel is Jane Eyre. I started college pursuing an English degree, and I completed my studies with a Masters in English at Liberty University. The Victorian era has always been my favorite era of literature! So I am excited to discuss and learn more about my favorite books with all of you!

message 29: by Lara (new)

Lara (lara_s) Hi :) I'm Larissa. My favorites (so far) are The picture of Dorian Gray and Jane Eyre. I also love Sherlock. I plan to read North and South, and Great expectations in 2017. I am also following along the Our Mutual Friend read-along and I'm liking it a lot!

message 30: by Niamh (new)

Niamh | 1 comments Hi everyone! My name is Niamh. I haven't studied English formally since I finished secondary school in 2011. I try to vary my reading between classics, modern classics and contemporary literary fiction. I'm excited to read more Victorian literature and my favourite book is probably North and South

message 31: by Alley (new)

Alley | 1 comments Hello! My name is Alley and I live in South Coast, Massachusetts. I'm currently studying Mechanical Engineering, I have a previous degree in Fine Arts, and I absolutely love reading during every spare second of my day! I am a novice when it comes to Victorian Literature but I'm hoping to gain some reading experience through this group! I absolutely love watching Books and Things and I'm very excited to read some new books with you all :)

message 32: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 1 comments Hi everyone! My name is Rebecca, I am Canadian, and a mom of two. I have always loved reading passionately, but became a very invested reader since the birth of my first child. A funny quirk about me and reading is that I do not buy new books, I only buy second hand and am a certified power user of our local library (yay libraries!).

I have read a smattering of Victorian novels, and the ones I have enjoyed the most were Middlemarch and A Tale of Two Cities. I would love to read more from this time period, as I did study it in my undergraduate and graduate levels but not from a literary perspective.

I'm really looking forward to it!

message 33: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 1 comments Hi there, My name is Cynthia and I live in California. I absolutely love reading Classics and watching Katie's channel. I'm a Mom of 4 and I work 2 jobs, and seem to have a very stressful life, so reading is a wonderful escape for me! I'm really looking forward to this Victorian experience!!

message 34: by Amira K. (new)

Amira K. (basilhallward) | 2 comments Hi! my name is Amira I'm still in highschool .I love classics, my first Victorian novel was Jane Eyre , Jane Eyre is absolutely one of my favourite books of all time, I like Oscar Wilde a lot, I only read Great expectations by Dickens but I think I'll read the Pickwick papers this year, Katie's love for Dickens encouraged me to give him a try! I'm looking forward reading more Victorian novels.

message 35: by Katie (last edited Feb 02, 2017 11:43AM) (new)

Katie Lumsden (katie-booksandthings) | 28 comments Mod
Hi everyone! Delighted to hear a little more about you all - I think we have a great group of people here.

message 36: by Kira Zoe (new)

Kira Zoe | 8 comments Amira K. wrote: "Hi! my name is Amira I'm still in highschool .I love classics, my first Victorian novel was Jane Eyre , Jane Eyre is absolutely one of my favourite books of all time, I like Oscar Wilde a lot, I on..."

Ohh, definitely pick up Pickwick Papers, it was my first (and so far only) Dickens and I completely adored it. It's so random, but completely endearing and actually funny...

message 37: by Amira K. (last edited Feb 02, 2017 04:19PM) (new)

Amira K. (basilhallward) | 2 comments Zoe wrote: "Amira K. wrote: "Hi! my name is Amira I'm still in highschool .I love classics, my first Victorian novel was Jane Eyre , Jane Eyre is absolutely one of my favourite books of all time, I like Oscar ..."

Thanks, Zoe! I also have heard that it's light-hearted compared to Dickens other writings, and its being his first work makes it seem like a different experince, it's fascinating to see the author's growth and development through his writings!

message 38: by Lara (new)

Lara Croft | 2 comments Hi I'm Lara,

I'm new in goodreads. After watching Katie's video I decided I had to join in the fun. I'm looking forward to reading more Victorian Lit and I think this is a great way of getting more committed to my goal of reading a few Victorian authors this year.

message 39: by Larissa (new)

Larissa Andrioli (larissandrioli) Hey! My name is Larissa and I'm Brazilian. I've never read any Victorian novel, except for a very silly and superficial adaptation of Jane Eyre when I was studying English. I have a major in Portuguese and Brazilian Literatures and a Master's in Literature and Culture. I am currently taking another Master's, this time in Arts and Culture, and I love reading, but I feel like I'm in debt with some types and periods of Literature, so I think this might be a great opportunity to fulfill this :)

message 40: by Ileana (new)

Ileana Mar (ileanamar) | 1 comments Hi, I'm Ileana!

Ex ballet dancer/teacher, who 4 years ago decided to have a change in life and became a pastry chef.

Favourite Victorian novel? Hard to pick one! I really love the Brontë sisters, Oscar Wilde, Hardy... Sorry, I can't choose.

Looking forward to this and btw... I'm born and raised in Mexico, but currently living in Toronto, so sorry in advance for my (not so perfect, at all) english :)

message 41: by Norma (new)

Norma Gregory (bookworm1020) | 1 comments My name is Norma :)

i love the Bronte sisters,Thomas Hardy and everything classic.

I am from Texas, USA

I am really looking forward to this group

message 42: by Tammi (new)

Tammi | 4 comments Hi. I'm Tammi. I live in Barbados and I just like to read. So happy to participate here.

message 43: by Zogan (last edited Feb 06, 2017 08:14AM) (new)

Zogan  Sada (zogan) | 1 comments Hi everybody I am oliver. I am an Asian and belong to sub-continent. We remained under British rule for centuries, thats why English is our official language. I started reading victorian novels just few years back and I found them so intresting because it solves a lot of mysteries about subcontinent. I have come to know a lot about the nation who ruled us. I have learnt through local books about English people that they committed lot of cruel acts against us. But reality is very different. They are very nice people totally different from their forefathers.

message 44: by Paula (new)

Paula (may_paula) | 1 comments Hi, I am Paula!
I'm Brazilian and I am studying English Literature at University.
My favorite Victorian novel is Wuthering Heights.
Nice to meet you all!

message 45: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 1 comments Hi, my name is Georgia and I am a high school student in California. My favorite Victorian novel (so far) is A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens I haven't read a lot of of Victorian literature but I look forward to doing so with this course.

Side Note: After reading A Tale of Two Cities I have decided that I absolutely have to read everything that Dickens has ever written.

message 46: by Marianne (new)

Marianne | 1 comments Hello! This is pretty late but I'm Marianne :) I live in the Philippines and I love Victorian literature despite the fact that I haven't read that much of it. I'm very determined to fix that. My favorite Victorian novel would have to be Jane Eyre, which has been my favorite since high school. I'm really looking forward to participating in this group and chatting with you all!!

message 47: by Chelsea (last edited Feb 10, 2017 06:22AM) (new)

Chelsea (voyageofatimewanderer) | 1 comments Hi everyone! My name is Innes. I'm 24, a Canadian, and an INTJ. Currently, I'm very nearly finished with my MA in International Affairs, and I work in the federal government. Besides reading, my main hobbies are knitting, cross-stitch, genealogy research, and ice skating.

I'm really only starting to dip my toe into the vast ocean of Victorian literature. I love all of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories and have read a few Dickens (A Christmas Carol and Oliver Twist and am currently participating in the Our Mutual Friend read-a-long). When I was younger I used to enjoy Lewis Carroll and Robert Louis Stevenson, but haven't read their work in ages now. I have loved watching a number of adaptations of Elizabeth Gaskell's stories, but haven't yet had a chance to read the original novels.

I'm really looking forward to this "course", although I imagine I won't have time to read every single book, because I am finding the Our Mutual Friend read-a-long so helpful in breaking down a rather intimidating Dickens novel. Already looking forward to the first topic because I have been meaning to start reading the Bronte sisters for a long long time!

message 48: by Laura (last edited Feb 10, 2017 06:46AM) (new)

Laura (laura_lueken) | 1 comments Hi, my name is Laura. I'm 23, living in the US. I didn't study a great deal of literature in high school or college. I try to remedy this through my personal reading. I grew up reading Sherlock short mysteries. I love what Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, and North and South. Never picked up a Dickens book before but I am looking forward to starting my copy of Our Mutual Friend soon.

message 49: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (bibliobitb) | 1 comments Hi, my name is Brittany, and I'm from the US. I'm currently completing post-baccalaureate studies in software engineering. I have a large soft spot for literature. Of the Victorian authors, I love the Brontes and Gaskell. I discovered Katie's booktube channel about a month ago, enjoy it greatly, and am looking forward to obtaining greater exposure to Victorian Literature through this "course".

message 50: by Jodie (new)

Jodie (jodiebaker) | 1 comments Hi I'm Jodie, I live in the UK & I'm a bookseller. I've dipped into a little bit of Victorian fiction through study & just general reading but not a whole lot. I don't have a great knowledge of the Victorian period - I'm more of an ancient & 16th/17th century history girl - so hoping to expand my knowledge through this group and the videos.

My favourite Victorian novel has to be Jane Eyre so I'm excited we'll be starting with that.

« previous 1