Cruisin' thru the Cozies Reading Challenge discussion

2017 Level 4 (Sleuth Extra.) > Sabine's level 4 2017 reading challenge

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sabine (last edited Dec 03, 2017 06:35PM) (new)

Sabine (bine) | 69 comments Excited for the challenge...so here it goes:

Level four (Sleuth Extraordinaire) - Read two books from each sub-genre in level one plus an additional 20 cozy books of your choice (total of 40 books)

- culinary
Murder and Marinara (An Italian Kitchen Mystery, #1) by Rosie Genova Murder and Marinara ****
A Quiche to Die for (Darling Deli #17) by Patti Benning A Quiche to Die for ****
- animal related (cats, dogs, birds, etc.)
Murder Go Round (Witch City Mystery, #4) by Carol J. Perry Murder Go Round *****
Grave Errors (Witch City Mystery #5) by Carol J. Perry Grave Errors ****
- craft related (any kind of hobbies - knitting, crocheting, scrapbooking, etc.)
A Murderous Yarn (A Needlecraft Mystery, #5) by Monica Ferris A Murderous Yarn ****
- paranormal (witches, vampires, etc.)
Dining With The Dead (A Millerfield Village Cozy Murder Mysteries, #1) by Carrie Marsh Dining With The Dead *
The Wicked Waffle (The Diner of the Dead, #1) by Carolyn Q. Hunter The Wicked Waffle ****
- British cozy mysteries
Murder in the Mail A Diane Dimbleby Cozy Mystery by Penelope Sotheby Murder in the Mail: A Diane Dimbleby Cozy Mystery *****
Pancakes and Corpses (Peridale Cafe Mystery #1) by Agatha Frost Pancakes and Corpses ****
- career-based cozy mystery - innkeeper
Murder Most Maine (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #3) by Karen MacInerney Murder Most Maine ****
Murder at Redwood Cove by Janet Finsilver Murder at Redwood Cove *****
- holiday based (set during any holiday - Christmas, Thanksgiving, Valentines, etc.)
Death Overdue (A Haunted Library Mystery, #1) by Allison Brook Death Overdue *****
- travel mystery (character could be on a cruise, touring another area, etc.)
Shortbread and Sorrow (Peridale Cafe Mystery #5) by Agatha Frost Shortbread and Sorrow ****
The Corpse in the Cabana (Viola Robert Cozy Mystery #1) by Shéa MacLeod The Corpse in the Cabana ****
- historical mystery (any mystery not set in the present)
- my choice! (freebie!) setting in a 55+ community
Pineapple Lies (Pineapple Port Mystery #1) by Amy Vansant Pineapple Lies ****
Pineapple Mystery Box (Pineapple Port Mystery #2) by Amy Vansant Pineapple Mystery Box ****

+ 20 extra books:
1. Peril in the Park (Jamie Quinn Mystery #3) by Barbara Venkataraman Peril in the Park ****
2. Killer Road Trip (Sweet Southern Sleuths Short Stories #5) by Hope Callaghan Killer Road Trip ***
3. Pups in Peril (Sweet Southern Sleuths Short Stories #6) by Hope Callaghan Pups in Peril ****
4. Pumpkin Spice & A Body On Ice (Dixie Cupp Diner Mystery #1) by Willow Monroe Pumpkin Spice & A Body On Ice ****
5. Peppermint Breath & An Untimely Death (Dixie Cupp Diner Mystery #2) by Willow Monroe Peppermint Breath & An Untimely Death ****
6. Lemonade and Lies (Peridale Cafe Mystery #2) by Agatha Frost Lemonade and Lies ****
7. Good Fortunes (A Claire Rollins Mystery Book 1) by J.A. Whiting Good Fortunes *****
8. First Degree Mudder (Pacific Northwest Mystery #4) by Kate E. Dyer-Seeley First Degree Mudder *****
9. Chicken-Fried Homicide (Cooper Sisters #1) by Willow Monroe Chicken-Fried Homicide ***
10. Skinny Dipping with Murder (An Otter Lake Mystery, #1) by Auralee Wallace Skinny Dipping with Murder ****
11. A Fatal Romance (A Twin Sisters Mystery #1) by June Shaw A Fatal Romance ****
12. Free-Range Danger (Cooper Sisters #2) by Willow Monroe Free-Range Danger ****
13. Egg Noggin' Cooper Sisters Cozy Mystery 3 by Willow Monroe Egg Noggin': Cooper Sisters Cozy Mystery 3 ****
14. A Slice of Murder (Sarah Cozy Mystery #1) by Rick Tales A Slice of Murder **
15. Doughnuts and Deception (Peridale Cafe Mystery #3) by Agatha Frost Doughnuts and Deception *****
16. Chocolate Cake and Chaos (Peridale Cafe Mystery #4) by Agatha Frost Chocolate Cake and Chaos ****
17. Pumpkin Picking with Murder (An Otter Lake Mystery, #2) by Auralee Wallace Pumpkin Picking with Murder ****
18. Picture Perfect Murder (Ryli Sinclair Mystery #1) by Jenna St. James Picture Perfect Murder *****
19. Girls' Night Out Murder (Ryli Sinclair Mystery #2) by Jenna St. James Girls' Night Out Murder ****
20. Battered and Buttered Waffle (The Diner of the Dead, #2) by Carolyn Q. Hunter Battered and Buttered Waffle ***
21. Sinister Strawberry Waffle (The Diner of the Dead, #3) by Carolyn Q. Hunter Sinister Strawberry Waffle ****
22. The Wayward Waffle (The Diner of the Dead, #4) by Carolyn Q. Hunter The Wayward Waffle ****
23. Espresso and Evil (Peridale Cafe Mystery #6) by Agatha Frost Espresso and Evil ****
24. Murder in the development by Penelope Sotheby Murder in the development ****
25. The Trailer Park Princess with Her Knickers in a Twist (Trailer Park Princess #4) by Kim Hunt Harris The Trailer Park Princess with Her Knickers in a Twist ****
26. Toasting Up Trouble (Dinner Club Mystery #1) by Linda Wiken Toasting Up Trouble ****
27. Roux the Day by Linda Wiken Roux the Day ****
28. Up in Smoke (Glock Grannies #1) by Shannon VanBergen Up in Smoke *****
29. The Stiff in the Study (Viola Roberts Cozy Mystery #2) by Shéa MacLeod The Stiff in the Study *****
30. The Poison in the Pudding (Viola Roberts Cozy Mystery #3) by Shéa MacLeod The Poison in the Pudding ****
31. Macarons and Mayhem (Peridale Cafe Mystery #7) by Agatha Frost Macarons and Mayhem *****
32. Trouble at Island Castle (Will Travel for Trouble Book 11) by Minnie Crockwell Trouble at Island Castle ****
33. Blown Away (Kite Shop Mystery #1) by Clover Tate Blown Away *****
34. A Measure of Murder A Sally Solari Mystery by Leslie Karst A Measure of Murder: A Sally Solari Mystery ***
35. Bumpers and Beignets (Thandie and Eloise #1) by Susan D. Baker Bumpers and Beignets ****
36. From Garden To Grave (The Leafy Hollow Mysteries, #1) by Rickie Blair From Garden To Grave *****
37. Digging Up Trouble (The Leafy Hollow Mysteries, #2) by Rickie Blair Digging Up Trouble ****
38. Murder in the Mansion A Daniel Swift Mystery by Penelope Sotheby Murder in the Mansion: A Daniel Swift Mystery ****
39. A Pie To Vie For (Olivia Faulkner Mysteries Book 0) by Kathryn Lin A Pie To Vie For ****
40. A Branch Too Far (The Leafy Hollow Mysteries, #3) by Rickie Blair A Branch Too Far *****
41. Zombie Daze (Zee Town #1) by K.E. O'Connor Zombie Daze ****
42. Sunbaked Snowbird by Molly Dox Sunbaked Snowbird ***
43. Doom with a View (Merry Ghost Inn #2) by Kate Kingsbury Doom with a View ****
44. Body on Baker Street (A Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery, #2) by Vicki Delany Body on Baker Street ****
45. Asking for Truffle (A Southern Chocolate Shop Mystery #1) by Dorothy St. James Asking for Truffle ****
46. Fruit Cake and Fear (Peridale Cafe Mystery #8) by Agatha Frost Fruit Cake and Fear *****
47. All-Butter ShortDead by H.Y. Hanna All-Butter ShortDead ****
48. ICED A Resort to Murder Mystery by Avery Daniels ICED: A Resort to Murder Mystery ****
49. Dead in the Water (Scarlet Cove #1) by Agatha Frost Dead in the Water ****

message 2: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Have fun and good luck, Sabine!

message 3: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 650 comments Mod
Never hear of that series. I'll have to check it out.

message 4: by Sabine (new)

Sabine (bine) | 69 comments Thanks Dagny :)

Britney, they are pretty short books but I like the characters a lot and the stories are pretty quirky with some humour in just the right amount - just my humble opinion...

message 5: by Sabine (last edited Feb 08, 2017 11:02AM) (new)

Sabine (bine) | 69 comments I finished Murder in the Mail A Diane Dimbleby Cozy Mystery by Penelope Sotheby . I highly recommend this relatively short British mystery. A read that kept me on the edge of my seat!

message 6: by Sabine (new)

Sabine (bine) | 69 comments Murder and Marinara (An Italian Kitchen Mystery, #1) by Rosie Genova Being a big fan of everything Italian I really enjoyed this book.

message 7: by Sabine (new)

Sabine (bine) | 69 comments I highly recommend reading this culinary short mystery Pumpkin Spice & A Body On Ice (Dixie Cupp Diner Mystery #1) by Willow Monroe . It was such a treat!!! I'm off to reading the next one in the series right away.

message 8: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 650 comments Mod
Never heard of the series.

message 9: by Sabine (new)

Sabine (bine) | 69 comments Britney wrote: "Never heard of the series."

I hadn't either...was just looking for a short read in between and got real lucky!

message 10: by Meg (new)

Meg (makeli2) | 67 comments Sabine wrote: "I highly recommend reading this culinary short mystery Pumpkin Spice & A Body On Ice (Dixie Cupp Diner Mystery #1) by Willow Monroe. It was such a treat!!! I'm off to reading the next one in the series right away."

And it is now on my tbr list! lol, it never ends, eh?

message 11: by Sabine (new)

Sabine (bine) | 69 comments The next one in the series is just as good: Peppermint Breath & An Untimely Death (Dixie Cupp Diner Mystery #2) by Willow Monroe ....I hope it is not the last one in the series...

message 12: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (smmolloy1105) | 329 comments I read the first one and really liked it. I have the second on my Kindle so I'll have to get to it!

message 13: by Sabine (new)

Sabine (bine) | 69 comments Shannon wrote: "I read the first one and really liked it. I have the second on my Kindle so I'll have to get to it!"

Yes, they are really good. I will read more from this author for sure :)

message 14: by Sabine (new)

Sabine (bine) | 69 comments Pancakes and Corpses (Peridale Cafe Mystery #1) by Agatha Frost This completes my British genre. I liked it very much even though I usually don't appreciate the main character investigating just to prove they are better than the police.

message 15: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Sabine wrote: "Pancakes and Corpses (Peridale Cafe Mystery #1) by Agatha Frost This completes my British genre. I liked it very much even though I usually don't appreciate the main character investigating just to prove they are better..."

LOL, I know what you mean, Sabine.

message 16: by Sabine (new)

Sabine (bine) | 69 comments The second book in the series was even better and the involvement of the sleuth not forced t. A fun read! Lemonade and Lies (Peridale Cafe Mystery #2) by Agatha Frost

message 17: by Sabine (new)

Sabine (bine) | 69 comments Just finished a book of a new to me author Good Fortunes (A Claire Rollins Mystery Book 1) by J.A. Whiting and I am so glad that I gave it a try. Engrossing, fast paced and fun!

message 18: by Sabine (new)

Sabine (bine) | 69 comments First Degree Mudder combined 2 of my hobbies: mysteries and running. Needless to say that I absolutely loved it! First Degree Mudder (Pacific Northwest #4) by Kate E. Dyer-Seeley

message 19: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Sabine wrote: "First Degree Mudder combined 2 of my hobbies: mysteries and running. Needless to say that I absolutely loved it!First Degree Mudder (Pacific Northwest #4) by Kate E. Dyer-Seeley"

It doesn't get much better than mysteries and running!

I hadn't heard of this series, thank you Sabine for mentioning it. Just put the first one, Scene of the Climb, on my wish list at library.

message 20: by Sabine (new)

Sabine (bine) | 69 comments I haven't seen many mysteries yet that have an outdoor theme. And it is great to see so many different activities weaved into this mystery series. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
Are you just like me always reading mysteries in order?
For this series it is best to do since there is an underlying mystery going through the series about the death of the main characters father....

message 21: by Sabine (new)

Sabine (bine) | 69 comments I enjoyed this unexpected visit with Moira A Quiche to Die for (Darling Deli #17) by Patti Benning . I thought the series ended with the 16th installment....

message 22: by Joanne (new)

Joanne I like your list as it has a lot of authors I have never heard of, which is always good.

message 23: by Sabine (new)

Sabine (bine) | 69 comments Thanks Joanne, I am always looking for new authors. :)

message 24: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Sabine wrote: "Are you just like me always reading mysteries in order?"

Definitely! Most of the series have character development and several have major life changes.

message 25: by Sabine (last edited Mar 05, 2017 03:44PM) (new)

Sabine (bine) | 69 comments 4 1/2 stars for this super fun read Pineapple Lies (Pineapple Port Mystery #1) by Amy Vansant with a setting in a retirement community. Some laugh out loud fun

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 549 comments Dagny wrote: "Sabine wrote: "First Degree Mudder combined 2 of my hobbies: mysteries and running. Needless to say that I absolutely loved it!First Degree Mudder (Pacific Northwest #4) by Kate E. Dyer-Seeley"

It doesn't get much better ..."

I'm glad I saw your endorsement of this book for runners and mystery lovers. My husband is a runner, and we both love mysteries, so will definitely have to look for this one!

message 27: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Donna wrote: "I'm glad I saw your endorsement of this book for runners and mystery lovers. My husband is a runner, and we both love mysteries, so will definitely have to look for this one!
"

Me, too, Donna! I've already got First Degree Mudder on my wish list.

message 28: by Sabine (new)

Sabine (bine) | 69 comments I haven't found a whole lot of mysteries that also have a bit of a running theme in them...

message 29: by Gail (new)

Gail (koalabear3) | 54 comments Awesome Sabine! See some more books to add to my list. Keep up the good work!

message 30: by Sabine (new)

Sabine (bine) | 69 comments Gail wrote: "Awesome Sabine! See some more books to add to my list. Keep up the good work!"

Thanks Gail :)

message 31: by Sabine (new)

Sabine (bine) | 69 comments I just added to my choice, setting in a 55+ community Pineapple Mystery Box (Pineapple Port Mystery #2) by Amy Vansant Pineapple Mystery Box which I enjoyed a lot even though the mystery itself wasn't "my cup of tea". And I also read Cozy Mystery Dining With The Dead (A Millerfield Village Cozy Murder Mysteries Series) by Carrie Marsh Cozy Mystery: Dining With The Dead which I absolutely DID NOT like!!! I won't be reading anything else from this author in the next future....

message 32: by Sabine (new)

Sabine (bine) | 69 comments As extra book I read Chicken-Fried Homicide (Cooper Sisters #1) by Willow Monroe Chicken-Fried Homicide A very short cute mystery. Close to half of the mystery is about one of the sisters trying to find out the secret devil's egg recipe of the pastor's wife and the other half about the suspicious death of Angelina, the health store owner. The banter between the sisters made me chuckling.
Quite frankly I am not sure if I like the murderer to get off the hook so easily. Of course I felt bad for him but this seems too mild.

message 33: by Sabine (new)

Sabine (bine) | 69 comments And another extra book that doesn't fit any of the categories: Skinny Dipping with Murder (An Otter Lake Mystery, #1) by Auralee Wallace Skinny Dipping with Murder An island retreat and the small town Cooper, NH on the shore of Otter Lake are a wonderful setting for this mystery. Some crazy town folks guarantee for this story to become a wild ride. When Erica comes back home from to help her mother with a retreat she finds her former classmates still being the harebrained, foolish people she left behind. And the happenings at the Raspberry social which caused her to leave her hometown 8 years ago are still well remembered by the town residents.
So when one of the men that were involved in the incident back then is found dead everyone wonders if Erica might have killed him.
A crazy and laugh out loud mystery with a nice dose of romance.

message 34: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Sabine wrote: "I just added to my choice, setting in a 55+ community Pineapple Mystery Box (Pineapple Port Mystery #2) by Amy Vansant Pineapple Mystery Box which I enjoyed a lot even though the mystery itself wasn't "m..."

So Sabine what was wrong with dining with the Dead, if I may ask? just curious, I haven't read it my self.

message 35: by Sabine (new)

Sabine (bine) | 69 comments Joanne wrote: So Sabine what was wrong with dining with the Dead, if I may ask? just curious, I haven't read it my self.
"

Hi Joanne,
I copied my review for this book in here if that is OK with you?:
1+ stars
This mystery was not for me. I couldn’t connect with the characters at all and the dialogues seemed stiff and awkward. I never got really into the story. Upon meeting (of the characters) conversations often started with the characters greeting each other by name like: “Janet.” And then the reply “Laura”. To me this was very annoying. Even if it sounds funny but the way the cat was talking didn’t sound to me like a cat would be talking.
I read the kindle edition and it should have been edited a bit better also towards the end half a chapter was repeated.

If you have further questions please let me know :)

message 36: by Joanne (last edited Mar 12, 2017 09:53PM) (new)

Joanne Sabine wrote: "Joanne wrote: So Sabine what was wrong with dining with the Dead, if I may ask? just curious, I haven't read it my self.
"
Hi Joanne,
I copied my review for this book in here if that is OK with yo..."

ok thanks that was helpful. sounds as if it poorly constructed over all. If you cant connected with the characters seems very pointless. certainly a great skill and art to creating enjoyable and readable characters. some have got it some don't.

message 37: by Sabine (new)

Sabine (bine) | 69 comments Joanne wrote: ok thanks that was helpful. sounds as if it poorly constructed over all. If you cant connected with the characters seems very pointless. certainly a great skill and art to creating enjoyable and readable characters. some have got it some don't. "

I always feel I should give the author another try but then why wasting the time. There are so many more fantastic books out there than I can ever read,.....

message 38: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Sabine wrote: "Joanne wrote: ok thanks that was helpful. sounds as if it poorly constructed over all. If you cant connected with the characters seems very pointless. certainly a great skill and art to creating en..."

yes totally agree I have retried authors, sometimes I'm glad i went back but most often i still have the same opinion. Im usually reading four books at a time. can be different genres. it just depends what takes my fancy at the time.

message 39: by Sabine (new)

Sabine (bine) | 69 comments I am way behind adding all the books I read....but I am sure I won't be able to complete the challenge. I am sure that I didn't read any historical mysteries...... :(