What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > byzantine what if? Bill fawcett type alt-history collection; Byzantine ruler of the Amorian dynasty has just beaten the Bulgars in a battle and is chasing them and stop before a mountainous ravine

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments A Byzantine ruler of the Amorian dynasty has just beaten the Bulgars in a battle and is chasing them and stop before a mountainous ravine. In reaL LIFE HE CONTINUES AND THE bULGARS ROLL BOULDERS DOWN AND ANNIHILATE THE BYZANTINES AND oMURTAGE MAKES A GOBLET OUT OF THE bYZANTINE eMPERORS SKULL. mAY BE A bILL FAWCETTE COLECTION OF BAD DECISIONS IN HISTORY.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
Robert, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments still looking for this.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33330 comments Mod
Robert, around what year did you read this book? A range of years is fine. This will help us narrow down the search.

Author mentioned - Bill Fawcett

message 5: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 116 comments The battle is likely to be the "Battle of the Gates of Trajan" between Byzantines under Emperor Basil II and the Bulgarians under Samuil. The Byzantines were obliterated.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments No, sorry wrong Byzantine Emperor and wrong Bulgarian Emperor.Byzantine Emperor was I think from the preceeding Amorion Dynasty and the Bulgarian ruler was either Krum (1) or Omurtag. However, it was definitely prior to Basil II

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments I believe the Emperor was Nicephorus I and it was definitely the Amorian Dynsty

Justanotherbiblophile | 1729 comments Uchronia's list does not have any candidates from 796-1000 CE that match this divergence point.

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Probably never made there

message 10: by Pixiegirl105 (last edited Sep 23, 2020 11:59AM) (new)

Pixiegirl105 | 152 comments Harry Turtledove

Have you checked any of Harry Turtledove's Agent of Byzantium
stories? Might be in there.

message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments No, I am sur it is not Turtledove. It is more of a historical account of what really happened with a little what if? thrown in.