Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) Dune discussion

Reading the complete franchise in one year

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rick (last edited Mar 02, 2017 11:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rick Last year (Jan 2016) I set myself to reading all of the series in one year and I came close as I finished the finale in Feb 17. They threw me a curve by publishing The Navigators of Dune late last year after I'd read past its place in the read order which I finished Mar 2. That's 1 year and 2 months and since I only read during my lunch hour at work, I read them all in about 300 hours (60 x 5); not bad.

I've enjoyed most of the Brian Herbert books although there were many ideas I thought ludicrous and his/their writing style pales in comparison. Don't let this stop you from enjoying them all.

Per the other discussion, here's the order in which I read them: (I left off the "Of Dune" in my list)
Hunting Harkonnens (Short Story)
Butlerian Jihad
Machine Crusades
Faces of the Martyr (SS)
Battle of Corrin
Sisterhood
Mentats
Navigators
House Atreides
House Harkonnen
House Corrino
Paul (Chapters 2, 4, 6)
Wedding Silk (SS)
Winds (Chapter 2)
Dune
A Whisper of Caladan Seas (SS)
Paul (Ch 1, 3, 5, 7)
Winds (Ch 4)
Road to (SS)
Messiah
Winds (Ch 1, 3, 5)
Children
God Emperor
Heretics
Chapterhouse
Sea Child (SS)
Hunters
Treasure in the Sand (SS)
Sandworms

Paweł Im almost done reading Sandworms of Dune. What would you suggest next, provided that you can recommend reading Brian's and co books. I don't think I want to invest time in all of them, so it would be fantastic if you could pick say 1-3 best books outside of the main story:)

James Morrison I would be curious to know which of Frank's and which of Brian's you enjoyed most.

message 4: by Rick (last edited Feb 26, 2017 01:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rick Rick wrote: "Last year (Jan 2016) I set myself to reading all of the series in one year and I came close as I'm half way through with the finale, The Sandworms of Dune. They also threw me a curve by publishing ..."

Paweł wrote: "Im almost done reading Sandworms of Dune. What would you suggest next, provided that you can recommend reading Brian's and co books. I don't think I want to invest time in all of them, so it would ..."

You haven't said which of the books you've already read so it's hard to say what to read next. You should read all those written by Frank Herbert first (if you have not) then I would say I enjoyed the prequels more than the sequels and of those I enjoyed the the first three the most (Butlerian Jihad, Machine Crusades & Battle of Corrin).

Rick Jim wrote: "I would be curious to know which of Frank's and which of Brian's you enjoyed most."

I would say I enjoyed the prequels more than the sequels and of those I enjoyed the the first three the most (Butlerian Jihad, Machine Crusades & Battle of Corrin).