World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Your book and reading challenge

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14964 comments GR runs annual reading challenges, where people strive to read from a few to a lot of books actually.
For the authors among us: what makes your book so special, so that the readers should include it among those they intend to read this year?
For the readers: what's the 'must read' book, you'd recommend all the members?

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Fattorosi | 477 comments Its only 254 pages and it reads fast so its an easy one to get through in less than a day...

Resurrection of the Scrolls

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14964 comments Do you participate in GR's reading challenges and, if so, do you surpass or fall short?

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 230 comments I don't do reading challenges. Most weeks, I'm reading 3 books a week, but I have also gotten more comfortable with giving up on a book without finishing it. Unfortunately, I'm finding that a lot of contemporary books - general fiction and genre fiction - are just so generic and without personality. It's like you could slap just about any writer's name on the cover because you could never tell who wrote it from the style.
And I won't read books written in the present tense. I know it's popular but, for me, it's unreadable.

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14964 comments Three books a week, is impressive! 👍

message 6: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1756 comments Nik wrote: "Do you participate in GR's reading challenges and, if so, do you surpass or fall short?"

Last year was the first year I fell short. Usually I read more than I estimated. Generally, over 100 books a year.

I pay no attention to what is on lists or others are reading. Primarily, I read science fiction, with a few mysteries on the side and an occasional legal story. At this point, KU probably dictates a lot of what I read as there are popular authors that I would read if it were part of that program. I used to get free books in the mail from some site that I lost track of when my computer crashed. Those were non-fiction. One of my favorites is Evicted Poverty and Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond .

message 7: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14964 comments Sounds like an interesting book, indeed. Gotta have a look