Start by marking “Straight Jacket” as Want to Read:
Straight Jacket

Straight Jacket

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  44 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
If God is too indifferent, or too non-existent to take care of His creation, then clearly it's up to Me.
Morgen Tanjenz is a lawyer with an overactive sense of justice. His mission in life is to reward the virtuous, punish the ignorant and avenge those who won't avenge themselves. His favourite pastime is 'life sculpture' anonymously intervening in the lives of strangers t
Published August 7th 2013 (first published August 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Straight Jacket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Straight Jacket

Marianne
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Straight Jacket is the third novel by Australian lawyer, journalist and novelist, Adrian Deans. Lawyer Morgen Tanjenz is confident his psychometric evaluation (tedious in the extreme, but apparently necessary) is going well and his appointment as head of the Compliance Division for Gulliman Cross will soon be confirmed. He feels he has certainly earned this promotion, after the lengths he has had to go to, to secure it.

Despite being undermined by both his superior and his staff, Detective Serge
Kristy
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up on a whim without too much thought and how glad I am that I did. I usually steer away from books based in my home town as I love the escapism that comes from reading about a setting so far from my own.

But this book is written with such a deft sense of observation and sensory feel for the landscape and its inhabitants, that I felt the satisfaction of transportation even though the setting is less than 20 kms from my home. Super impressed!

The characters are as multidimension
Karen
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A really fascinating book. Kept me guessing to the end and still gives me a lot to think about. Can’t get Morgen out of my head. Loved the imagery of the Australian bush as described by Deans throughout the book, as it led me further into the mystery and intrigue of the book. Very highly recommended as a good holiday book and one to have on the bedside table as the next book to read.

Karen
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Something about STRAIGHT JACKET could make some readers a little uncomfortable. Not the serial killing aspect in this case - although the idea that there is a killer lurking in the bush that inserts itself into the Sydney suburbs isn't a welcome one. Certainly not a killer that sends victims fingers in the mail. It's more disconcerting that Morgen Tanjenz's idea of 'life sculpture' makes sense, dare we suggest, appeals. The idea that you could, with enough money and resources, dispense your conc ...more
Adam May
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A rollicking read! Compelling and bleakly amusing!

Morgan is a clinically intelligent avenger (or deceiver)of justice - a sort of Waugh like Saint/Bond meets Humbert Humbert (without those obvious connotations). Probably not a typical North Shore kind of guy really but the place clearly pumps through his veins as do an abundance of sex and drugs.

I loved the first/third person transitions and the crafting of time from the beginning to end. The multilayered narratives all come together delightfully
Roseanne
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had previously read Deans book Them which prompted me to pick up a copy of his new book Straight Jacket.

Straight Jacket is a different style of book to Them. It is certainly a page turner!

I was intrigued by the main character, Morgen's penchant for "life sculpture" and I have to confess at times I admired the creative ways that he affected other people's lives(without them knowing).

The various sub plots are woven together so that the tension rises as the book reaches it's unexpected conclusio
Matthew White
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Adrian Deans is clearly a twisted person, and he lets it all go here. But there's something gleeful in his venom too, and, at heart, it's the story of a very creative character looking for a suitable outlet. The themes are big and powerful, the characters work for the story, and the intrigue drips from every page. My only quibble would be the ending - I guess I was expecting something bigger and more horrific. But that's just me - it was still a good ending!
Sheryl Nadan
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What an impressive and fascinating book! It takes the genre of thrillers to another level. And Morgen Tanjenz, a character that you love to hate. "He's evil...pure evil". Dean's style is portrayed through dark comical and sexual undertones, which keeps the reader intrigued right to the very end with a very unexpected and surprise ending. A must read!
Brigitte Marie
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
The author writes well ... At first the book was a bit of a chore to read, but as I pushed on, was quite a twisted read ... Ending is a bit messy, I mean, I think I know who is responsible for the murders, but so much remains unexplained ! Overall, I love a good, twisted thriller and this is one of them
F
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I know the author - a past colleague - so was naturally curious. It was a great read - unpredictable, gripping and well written. It would make a great movie. I found it easy to imagine all the scenes, as it's set in a familiar environment and the characters were so well portrayed.
Looking forward to reading some more of Adrian's work.
Kelly Butler
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
fascinating - a random library pick, I was lured by a blurb that compared it to both 'American Pyscho' and 'Trainspotting'. Chilling portrait of Sydney's north shore through the eyes of a 'psycho' with a 'creative' bent
Tam
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a read! Kept me guessing to the end, and now that I'm done I'm sad it's over. Very glad I picked it up.
Maxjonpagegmail.com
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really great read, exploring the Sydney underbelly in a funny edgy way, with a great twist.
Florence
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is an edgy crime novel set in Sydney – dark and interspersed with moments of humour. The protagonist and other characters are quirky and believable, a twist from the usual crime novel characterisations. And what’s with the cicada on the book cover…and the reference throughout to these insects prominent in the Sydney-scape in summer?

Deans once again has enthralled his readers with his dark sense of humour and unusual perspectives. A book for those willing to explore difference and open to th
Hannah Morton
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I know the author personally so was thrilled when I was given this book (signed by the author) for Christmas. I found Adrian's writing intriguing and intense. I enjoyed the character development however I struggled to connect with Morgan and Clair as I found them difficult to understand there motive (like how completely twisted Morgan is with screwing around people's life?!?) however I found this interesting and gave the read more of a twist. I loved the connections between the characters and I ...more
David Lumley
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I ended up not wanting it to finish! It's a difficult book to pigeonhole - crime? Drama? Psychological thriller? It has dark sexual undertones and some startlingly flawed, yet strangely familiar characters. Once the characters and plot lines connect, it's a real race to the finish. Without giving anything away, when it finishes, you still want more.
Brent
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have followed this writer’s career with interest and that interest has now paid off in spades.

His earlier work showed great promise but Straight Jacket is the full flowering of an amazing talent. I absolutely hated getting to the end of this book, and am almost ready to read it again straight away.

Wow!

Just wow!
Zinger
rated it did not like it
May 21, 2014
Nov 26, 2013
Sierra Morgan
Jun 15, 2017
Aussie Readers: Straight Jacket is in the airports! 24 45 Jul 09, 2014 03:13AM
Adrian Deans is a lawyer, journalist and novelist. He has been writing seriously for 20 years and in that time has seen his darkly comic speculative fiction stories gradually morph into darkly comic crime. His first novel (Mr Cleansheets, Vulgar Press) was published in 2010 to some critical acclaim, but it is his new novel (Straight Jacket, High Horse Books) which has taken him to the next level. ...more
More about Adrian Deans...