Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Assassin's Apprentice
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Assassins Apprentice

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Anni | 5020 comments Starting today 01/23/17

message 2: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angela | 3555 comments Mod
Thanks Anni. Hope you enjoy.

I've added the book to the group bookshelf.

Anni | 5020 comments Thank you Angela :)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments starting today. My first buddy read! yeey!! And that too with a great book!

message 5: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Enjoy it! It's a good series :)

message 6: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7417 comments Mod
I'm so excited you all are reading this. You just wait!!!!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments At what page are you now Anni? Just so I know how far behind I am :)) I'd like to catch up with you so that we can finish the second volume at about the same time.

Anni | 5020 comments I am reading the german version so there is no point in giving you the page :D (By the way, my version contains 621 pages, so it's way thicker). I'm in the middle of chapter 18 it's about 75%.
You could add comments while reading here, then we could talk about what's going on, it's still fresh on my mind.

Solseit | 1460 comments Oh I did not even know we were starting the series! I genuinely want to read through this series, it is a top priority but I need to finish 2 (or even 3) books before. I hope to be able to catch up - else I will be reading and commenting only a little later!

message 10: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
I really liked book one of this series. Book two minus a few scenes with my two favorite characters was boring for about 75% and then the last quarter redeemed it. I still haven't been able to bring myself to read book three but if you make it that far I'll participate.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments I am at Chapter 3 and the way it is going I'll catch up with you very fast Anni. The book has already pulled me in and I don't feel like leaving it down.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments I wonder if I'll feel the same about book 2 Scott. However, I will still make it to book 3. That's one of my biggest problems you know...not being able to leave a series until I get to the end of it, regardless of how it turns out. I have to finish it in one straight shot! I would only start other books in between if I didn't like it much and even then I would still go back and finish it.

message 13: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Oh you are really fast :) I like the beginning part of each chapter as a look back from the future.

Till Chapter 3:
(view spoiler)

How do you like the characters so far?

message 14: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angela | 3555 comments Mod
Aristea I Quinn wants to read this so perhaps check with her and you might be able to set up a future date to buddy read?

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments Reached chapter 7 yesterday and had to call it a day. It was too late already and I figured I really needed the sleep. What do I say?! I love the book. The writing is fast and flows very nice, the characters are great - strong and flawed like any normal human; easy to identify with. I like Fitz the best obviously, but good old Burrich also grew very fast on me. A strong hard man with a soft heart trying to do the right thing in the only way he knew how to. How much strenght and goodheartedness does it take to care for the one who is the cause of your own doom!Then there is Chade, pulled between his duty ans his heart! I wonder which he would finally choose? Heart I suppose after what he did at the end of Chapter 5....
I also like the concept of names with meaning and with power. That tradition is really there today (in a way) in certain parts of the world. Not combined with any skill of course but still, in India for instance people believe that the name they give the child will affect him or her in life. So the name is carefully chosen according to how it sounds and what it means.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments well, I loved it! Moving on to Royal Assassin tomorrow.

message 17: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Laura wrote: "well, I loved it! Moving on to Royal Assassin tomorrow."

Wow! You really sped through it! Enjoy Royal Assassin :)

message 18: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7417 comments Mod
Holy cow! I should warn you for our reads that I'm nowhere near this fast lol. It usually takes me 7-10 days to finish a big fantasy novel.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments that's ok Niki. I don't read everyday like this either. Sometimes sleep catches up to me like yesterday night and then I just sleep off without reading a single page.

message 20: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Oh wow, I'm also done and liked it a lot. But if you continue with that speed, there is no possibility to catch up for me :D

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments I'll wait for you :)). so we read together. By the way. You didn't tell me what you thought about the book. And do you think you would be up for all of Fitz's adventures -that is Farseer and Tawny Man?

message 22: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I love it! :) I`m definitly in for the other books, but I intend to read the Realms of the Elderlings in the given order. Therefore there will be other series before the Tawny Man. ;)

message 23: by Christie (new)

Christie (ilssim78) | 1 comments I tried the audiobook and couldn't get through the first couple chapters. Not sure if it was the narrator or if the beginning is just slow. How far into the book does the action pick up? Is it an intentionally slower-paced book, as many 1st books in a series are?

message 24: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 159 comments I'm starting this one tonight. Looks like a good one!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments How fast do you read Rob? the pace Anni and I have set for Royal Assassin is very slow so you will be able to catch up :)) I for one am planning to go to Tawny Man next. Can't leave Fitz alone for such a long time :))

message 26: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Christie wrote: "I tried the audiobook and couldn't get through the first couple chapters. Not sure if it was the narrator or if the beginning is just slow. How far into the book does the action pick up? Is it an i..."

It's not an easy question, I would say it is all in all a slower-paced book. The autor takes her time to show us how her maincharacter is growing up. But nethertheless in my opinion it is not boring, there aren't infinite descriptions of the sorounding or weeks of travel with exact descriptions of everything. The time it takes is well spend in the description of the characters and the worldbuilding. I realy liked it, so I might be biased, but I think it is worth it. Because you get the characters to know, they become more vivid and understandable. There might be no epic battles but exciting turns you wouldn't expected.
I hope this will help you a bit?

message 27: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 159 comments Hello Laura, I would say I will be done in about 4-5 days. Hopefully I can catch up

message 28: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments For sure! As Laura said, we doimg it slow, cause I haven't got much time right now. We are reading one chapter a day ;)

message 29: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 159 comments Thanks anni, slow pace is good. There are so many books I want to read with this group!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments I hope you like the book Rob. I for one loved it and right now it is litteraly itching me to read the second book faster because I love that one too. But it is too much fun to chat with Anni about it and i don't wanna miss it, so I'll hold my horses and go ahead slow so we can exchange posts here. There are other bòoks I can read in between. Hope you'll join the chat too!

message 31: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 159 comments I'm starting Chapter 8 tonight and so far I'm enjoying it! I already have ideas about what is going to happen... can't wait to see how the story unfolds.

I also consider myself a bit of a novice with the English language and this book is challenging me. Is it just me? Or perhaps the vocabulary in the narration is just throwing me off a bit.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments I think it may be because the language and dialogues are more appropriate for middle ages. At least that's how I find it. Even the structure of the sentences is made accordingly. And the vocabulary is extensive - it drags you from life in court to horse and hound breeding, weapons mastery and later even ship building (and I didn't even get to plant description:) ) I don't think we use frequently a lot of those words in our days. You will get used to it though. By the end of the first book it should seem natural. English is also not my mother tongue but I use it now on daily basis. I still remember though the first book I read which was a challenge to my vocabulary: The Children of the New Forest by Captain Marryat. I still remember struggling to read it and taking out the dictionary almost at every other page (not because I wasn't speaking English properly - that I was ) but because there were detailed descriptions of animal breeding and make it yourself huts in the woods or hunting techniques and I didn't know those words. After that book everything was a lot easier to read :)).

message 33: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 159 comments You are right! I feel it getting easier already. I can get a good reading flow now.

message 34: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 159 comments (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments Rob wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

Glad you like it and also reading it fast just like i did:))

You'll be starting the second book really soon the way you are going! I bet you'll also be just as curious to see what he does next, just as I was.

message 36: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 159 comments Yes, very curious! I am now at Chapter 15 and I very much enjoy how the story is unfolding

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments wow. You're catching up real fast! After chapter 15 I was not able to set the book down till the end.

message 38: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I'm glad you like it :) Can't wait for you to catch up! I also like the always present question of who will stay and who not.

As I read the translation I can't argue about the language, but I think Laura answerd this sufficient.

message 39: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 159 comments I agree with you both! If it wasn't for sleep and work I would finish this book today.

(view spoiler)

message 40: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I know what you mean, everything of his backround is important to understand the whole person he became.
I wouldn't say this book is fast-paced, but the thing is it doesn't need to be. I prefere it the way it is!

(view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments I agree with you both.

(view spoiler)

message 42: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 159 comments So here are my initial thought after finishing the book.

This is my first time reviewing a book in about 10 years so hopefully it's not way off the mark

(view spoiler)

message 43: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments (view spoiler)

message 44: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 159 comments (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments (view spoiler)

Solseit | 1460 comments As soon as I finish City of Miracles, I am diving into this series as well - I cannot wait to read through it, I am almost ashamed (almost because I am trying to fix it) by the fact I have not read Robin Hobb before!

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments I hope you like it Aristea it's a bit slow but the world of the six duchies is interesting as well as fitz

I still need to read the second and third book so if like it and want to continue we can join up if you want😂😂😂

message 48: by Gelisvb (new) - added it

Gelisvb | 76 comments Aristea wrote: "As soon as I finish City of Miracles, I am diving into this series as well - I cannot wait to read through it, I am almost ashamed (almost because I am trying to fix it) by the fact I have not read..."
Can we do it in July?

Solseit | 1460 comments Gelisvb wrote: "Aristea wrote: "As soon as I finish City of Miracles, I am diving into this series as well - I cannot wait to read through it, I am almost ashamed (almost because I am trying to fix it) by the fact..."
We can - my July is quite packed though but I would be happy to read at the beginning of July. Would you be okay with that?

Solseit | 1460 comments Ahdam wrote: "I hope you like it Aristea it's a bit slow but the world of the six duchies is interesting as well as fitz

I still need to read the second and third book so if like it and want to continue we can ..."

Nice Ahdam! If we start in July, maybe we can read the second in August and the third in September.
FYI, amazing choice for the September read, I wanted to read The Shadow of What was Lost for quite some time!

« previous 1