Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

Groovy Lee
This topic is about Groovy Lee
The Writing Process > Symbols to denote passage in time--what do you use?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee Hi, Everyone

I didn't know where to post this question. So, if I'm in the wrong place, just move me.

I'm working on my new release, and one of the things I want to ask is, when you denote a passage of time in your books, what symbols do you use? I always use the standard *******, but I want something different, if there is something. What do you use?

Thank-you for your help.

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Groovy wrote: "Hi, Everyone

I didn't know where to post this question. So, if I'm in the wrong place, just move me.

I'm working on my new release, and one of the things I want to ask is, when you denote a pass..."

You could always go with ~*~ I think it looks a little classier than **** though I think I show my lack of class by not using it myself, lol.

message 3: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4600 comments Mod
My son has paragraph breaks. He has used a row of ***- but a big paragraph break seems to work best.

message 4: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee Thanks, everyone. I guess there's not a lot, huh? I remember seeing a beautiful symbol in an advertisement for Kindle, but now I'm thinking it was just for effect.

Avery, what is Scrivener? And I've never heard of automagically before:)

message 5: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee Thanks! I need to look that up.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Peacock-Smith | 9 comments I bought Scrivener (at 50% off) a month or so ago and it was a game changer for me! Where has it been all my life LOL (and I am NOT tech savvy) It is just so simple with great instructions :)

message 7: by Angel (last edited Jan 24, 2017 11:33AM) (new)

Angel | 722 comments Hi, Groovy! When denoting a passage of time in my novels I usually add/or describe/state a season, month, date or year or I say something like "a few weeks later," or "several months later" if applicable to let the reader know the setting has changed and time has passed. I don't use the asterisks simply because as a reader it doesn't skillfully or clearly enough, let me know there is a passage of time and it's annoying to see it in books I read, probably because too many people are using this symbols. As an author I don't use them because I see it as lazy and I know I can do better, if I try. Better symbols to use in scene transitions that may be in this day and age considered old fashioned are the ones I just stated. I had trouble with scene transitions, which was pointed out by my beta reader, but with her guidance and although with great difficulty, I was able to improve in my scene transitions.

message 8: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4600 comments Mod
Oh, I forgot about that. My son does that if it is more than 24 hours.

message 9: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee Thanks, Jennifer. I'm going to check that out, hopefully at 50% off:)

Hello, Angel! I understand what you're saying. Asterisks do seem run-of-the-mill. In my newest release, they're in there, and so I'm going to keep them. But with the next release I will either have Scrivener or consider just mentioning it, or like Carole said, a big paragraph break. Decisions, decisions:)

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread