What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Non-Fiction > SOLVED. Nonfiction- Babies in '50s/60s get adopted without permission. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dedwyhotmail.com | 2 comments Read in 2011. Adult nonfiction
Genre?... Mystery?

This is vaguely what I remember the book being about: an orphanage or group home for children(or possibly group to help mothers?). A woman was in charge and adopted out babies to wealthier families. Some were adopted out legally while others were basically stolen to adopt out. I believe those that were taken were from lower income families.

It was a hardback book
Wish I could remember more or specifics!

Thank you!!

message 2: by Krazykiwi (last edited Jan 22, 2017 01:26PM) (new)

Krazykiwi | 152 comments This is, unfortunately, a very common story and it's been widely written about.

Can you remember where this was set? And when?

There's a fair few books like this set in Ireland, but I've also seen a movie (based on a book) set in Australia, and several in various parts of the US. It'd help narrow it down quite a lot if you have any idea where.

Meanwhile off the top of my head:
The Ballroom Café Really good, but too new.
The Lost Child of Philomena Lee: A Mother, Her Son and a 50 Year Search
The Market in Babies: Stories of Australian Adoption
The Baby Thief: The Untold Story of Georgia Tann, the Baby Seller Who Corrupted Adoption (this one really fits your memories)
Searching ...

Dedwyhotmail.com | 2 comments The baby thief!!!! Thank you!!!

It was absolutely killing me.

I will remember to add those details if I need help again. :)

Thank you!

message 4: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 152 comments Oh wow, I knew it fit your memory pretty closely, but that was a bit lucky. We don't usually get them solved this quick!