The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 293 (293 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Jan 26, 2017 05:14PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments
Team Buttercup

Team Members:
♦ Caroline Wright (Captain)
♦ Kate S (Co-captain)
♦ Ashlee
♦ Bob Pearsall
♦ Emma Kerle
♦ Genna-Marie
♦ Jess
♦ Stephanie
♦ Raahil Mody

♦ KayLynn Zollinger

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Feb 12, 2017 01:45PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments
“Kids. You gotta love them. I adore children. A little salt, a squeeze of lemon--perfect.”
― Jim Butcher, Storm Front

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments r

message 4: by Caroline (last edited Jan 26, 2017 07:44PM) (new)

Caroline (paper_moonshine) | 822 comments Group Shelves:

Caroline
Kate
Ashlee
Bob
Emma
Gen
Jess
Raahil Mody
Stephanie

message 5: by Caroline (last edited Jan 26, 2017 03:17PM) (new)

Caroline (paper_moonshine) | 822 comments Posted for ease of reference:

*Only books STARTED after the challenge begins can count. The challenge starts on Wednesday February 1, 2016 at 7pm AEDST (Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time). To see when this is in your time zone, use this countdown

*Books must be more than 100 pages in length. If it is a Childrens book or a graphic novel, we need to verify it is more than 25,000 words on arbookfind.com.

*Your finished books need to be on your Uno shelf AND marked as "read" for them to count. Please add them to your shelf only after finishing the book. Make sure the dates are correct and within the time limit.

*Books can be carried over into the next month, as long as they were started after your time on February first. So books started in February and finished in March WILL count for March.

*If you want to reread a book you can not have read it within the last 6 months.

* Please make notes IN THIS THREAD of how your book may count. The more options we have the better!
Letters used in UNO are Z,O,T,H,F,I,V,E,S,N,K,P and of course if another team member has read the book before. Please friend our team members!.
Kate and I will keep track of all the possible options and shuffle as needed so it's really important you've give us as much information as possible.

*All of the UNO card rules are in our spreadsheet on the second tab (at the bottom)

* This is a social challenge, not a competitive one. We'd love to get points, but the main aim of the game is to have fun, read lots and get to know each other :)

message 6: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (paper_moonshine) | 822 comments Reserved

message 7: by Caroline (last edited Jan 22, 2017 10:05PM) (new)

Caroline (paper_moonshine) | 822 comments Hello everyone! My name is Caroline and I'll be your team captain this year :D I'm an American teaching English in Japan and this is my second year playing.

I enjoyed the challenge immensely last year and have been eagerly waiting to play again. I went from reading three books a month to eight! The game was really tight last year too - my team beat out the second place winners by only five points! I hope we'll have just as much fun this year.

Please let me, or our lovely co-captain Kate, know if you have any questions or concerns at any time during the game

(here is my UNO shelf)

message 8: by Kate S (last edited Jan 23, 2017 06:07AM) (new)

Kate S Hello, I'm Kate. I live just outside of Washington, D.C.

I am an avid reader and love to participate in team challenges. I have been in several over in another group.

Looking forward to playing UNO and getting to chat about the books we are reading.

ETA: my UNO shelf

message 9: by Genna (last edited Jan 23, 2017 01:22AM) (new)

Genna Hello, I'm Genna-Marie, and I'm also an American teaching English in Japan. Originally from New England.
This is my first year playing. Looking forward to getting through some much-awaited books!

Nice to meet you all!

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 10: by Bob (last edited Jan 23, 2017 02:52AM) (new)

Bob Pearsall (bobbledybook) Hello, I'm Bob. I'm the third American working in English education in Japan and the second American from New England.

This'll be my first go-round with the challenge. Huzzah.

message 11: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments Caroline wrote: "Posted for ease of reference:

**Books cannot not be carried over into the next month. Meaning, a book started in February and finished in March will NOT count for March. ."

Just a little correction. You are able to carry over books into the next month, provided they were started after the challenge started.

message 12: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (paper_moonshine) | 822 comments UNO Pixie wrote: just a little correction.. ."
Thanks for letting me know! Last year my team was under the impression you couldn't do that. Or at least I was xD

message 13: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments I think there was a mini-challenge last year where you couldn't use already started books, otherwise books have been free to use when they were finished :)

message 14: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee | 315 comments Happy Monday! I'm Ashlee, an elementary teacher in Pennsylvania. I'm so excited to get started. This is my second year playing Uno. I had a lot of fun last year. I, too, raised my monthly reading significantly last year, and hope to do the same this year. I'm always looking for reading suggestions, so I'm excited to read some new books this year.

message 15: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Looking like a good team! Glad to meet you all.

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 33 comments Hello team, I'm Stephanie from Indonesia. Nice to meet you all ^^
This is my first time playing this game, lets have some fun.

Here is my shelf : Uno-challenge

message 17: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Anyone reading anything good before this challenge starts?

message 18: by Jess (new)

Jess Cattanach (jesscatt) | 116 comments Hi everyone! I'm Jess from Australia. I graduated with a degree in biomedical science last month and am currently spending my days reading, looking for work, and trying to resist the urge to nap lol. I played Uno last year and had heaps of fun, and am looking forward to Feb 1st!

My shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 19: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Welcome, Jess and congrats on your degree!

message 20: by Emma (new)

Emma Kerle  | 51 comments Hi team! I am Emma from Sydney Australia. I loved playing the Uno challenge last year and I cant wait for it to begin.

My shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 21: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Yeah, Emma. Glad you found us!

message 22: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Are we getting excited? Has anyone started pulling out books to fit into our cards?

message 23: by Emma (new)

Emma Kerle  | 51 comments I am getting excited! I have a few books in mind

message 24: by Bob (new)

Bob Pearsall (bobbledybook) The wheels are turning, as they say. Pumped.

message 25: by Jess (new)

Jess Cattanach (jesscatt) | 116 comments I've got a couple of books in series I want to finish off next month, but other than that I'll probably just pick things as I go!

Funnily enough, one of the books is the last in a series of four, and I read the others for UNO last year. (Alanna: The First Adventure is the series. The other I'm working through is Stephen King's The Dark Tower series - I'll be starting #5 for uno :))

I picked up one of my old Goosebumps books for the lols and nostalgia this week, love it haha! Choice line "you mean the dad we've been living with all week is a plant!?" Might squeeze in a few more before the challenge but I doubt they're 25,000 words lol, so they can wait after that.

message 26: by Jess (new)

Jess Cattanach (jesscatt) | 116 comments Also hi I ramble a lot :)

message 27: by Kate S (new)

Kate S I've been haunting everyone's shelves trying to find good books for the Reverse card. I have a couple so far that fit well into my February reading plan: The Notebook, Fingersmith and Alice I Have Been.

I read a lot of books, not too many in series, but plenty of books.

message 28: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Jess wrote: "Also hi I ramble a lot :)"

Not a bad thing in a social challenge. ;)

message 29: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (paper_moonshine) | 822 comments I plan to reread A Series of Unfortunate Events one of the UNO months so I know I'm gonna slam those reverse cards xD

message 30: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 3172 comments Kate S wrote: "I've been haunting everyone's shelves trying to find good books for the Reverse card. I have a couple so far that fit well into my February reading plan: The Notebook, [book:Fingersmit..."

*sneaking in*
The Notebook is perfect for this challenge as it is such a fast read. I preferred the movie though (Gosling, anyone?).
I read Fingersmith years ago and really enjoyed it too :)

message 31: by Jess (new)

Jess Cattanach (jesscatt) | 116 comments Kate S, true!

Caroline, I was considering re-reading them too! I read the first two again anticipating the show, but I might save the rest as reminders as the show goes on (I still haven't watched it yet though)

message 32: by Stephanie (last edited Jan 25, 2017 01:02AM) (new)

Stephanie | 33 comments I plan to read 1984 by George Orwell, I think I can take the #1 card :)

message 33: by Caroline (last edited Jan 25, 2017 01:34AM) (new)

Caroline (paper_moonshine) | 822 comments Jess wrote: "Kate S, true!

Caroline, I was considering re-reading them too! I read the first two again anticipating the show, but I might save the rest as reminders as the show goes on (I still haven't watched..."

The show is REALLY good!!! I was super impressed by it. It would be fun to read them again with someone else. Those books have so much to talk about. Especially since I read the prequel series this month too.

Its good you already reread the first one. That one falls below the word count for UNO. It's my last planned book for this month if I can just get done with Ready Player One

message 34: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (paper_moonshine) | 822 comments IMPORTANT: Our UNO strategy

So this is the way Kate and I were thinking about doing the books (and this is probably the way returning players have done it before). Basically everyone will post a comment with their "[insert month here] Reading Plan." You'll just say the books and all of the cards that work for each one (see my comment below).

The plan is not set in stone so don't worry if all you have is the first book you plan on reading. As the month progresses everyone can go back to their original comment to edit, add, and remove books. They can also post when they finished the book.

This way everyone's books and cards are in one place (instead of scattered throughout our chatting) and this will make things super easy for Kate and I to fill in the spreadsheet. (I'm also a little bit of an organizational freak, sorry *^.^*)

We'd like to not have people claim cards because we have been advised in the Captain's group that this has the possibility to lead to negative feelings if people feel like "their" cards are being taken. First and foremost we are here to have a good time!

message 35: by Caroline (last edited Mar 01, 2017 10:13PM) (new)

Caroline (paper_moonshine) | 822 comments February Reading Plan:

finished
The Tombs of Atuan
Cards: 2 (2nd in series), 6 (MC nickname Sparrowhawk), Reverse (Jess), Skip (location: The Place)
February 7th

A Darker Shade of Magic
Cards: 1 (1st in series), 6 (author name Schwab), 7 (author name V.), Skip (MC: Kell), Reverse: (Bob)
February 12th

The Song of Achilles
Cards: 0 (stand alone), 1 (Character: Odysseus), 2 (Character Thetis), 3 (Character Hector), 6 (Title starts with S), Skip (MC: Patroclus)
February 16th

A Tale of Time City
Cards: 0 (stand alone), 2 (title starts with T), 6 (Character: Sam), 7 (Character: Vivian)
February 20th

The Vegetarian
Cards: 0 (stand alone), 2 (title starts with T), 4 (author Han Kang), 7 (titles starts with V), Skip (author Han Kang), Reverse (Bob, Kate)
February 21st

The Farthest Shore
Cards: 3 (3rd in a series), 4 (Titles starts with F), 6 (MC nickname Sparrowhawk), Reverse (Jess)
February 24th

A Gathering of Shadows
2 (2nd in series), 6 (author name Schwab), 7 (author name V.), Skip (Character: Kell)
February 25th

Gone Girl
0 (stand alone), 4 (author Flynn), 9 (Character: Nick), Reverse (Gen)
February 28th

message 36: by Stephanie (last edited Feb 28, 2017 06:40PM) (new)

Stephanie | 33 comments Okay noted captain !! Sorry I haven't check for all the possibility before.

My February Books :

Rectoverso by Dee Lestari
Cards :
0 (stand alone)
5 (set place Indonesian)
February 2

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Cards ;
1 (book1 in series)
2 (title starting with T)
6 (author first name S)
February 15

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children
cards :
1 (book 1 in series)
3 (character Horace)
4 (character Fiona)
8 (character Emma)
Reverse (Kate Read it)
February 28

message 37: by Caroline (last edited Jan 25, 2017 02:15AM) (new)

Caroline (paper_moonshine) | 822 comments Stephanie wrote: "Rectoverso by Dee Lestari
Cards : 0 (has o in the title) ; 5 (set place Indonesian) "

The first word of the title has to start with the card letter (ignoring a, an, the). So Rectoverso would work for an R card (if there was one). but not any letter in the title.

message 38: by Jess (last edited Feb 28, 2017 10:04PM) (new)

Jess Cattanach (jesscatt) | 116 comments Okay, much easier to do this on the computer instead of the iPad lol.

FEBRUARY PLAN:

Haunted House Cards:
3 - title Haunted House
4 - character Frank Belgium
6 - character Sarah
Skip - author Kilborn
Book completed Feb 4th

The Amber Spyglass Cards:
3 - 3rd in the series
6 - character Lady Salmakia
Skip - author name Philip Pullman
Book completed Feb 5th

The Backup Boyfriend Cards:
1 - 1st in the "Boyfriend Chronicles" apparently
9 - character Noah
Book completed Feb 5th

Unwind Cards:
1 - 1st in series
6 - author Shusterman
9 - author Neal
Book completed Feb 6th

Carter & Lovecraft Cards:
1 - first in series
3 - author Howard
8 - character Emily
Book completed Feb 9th

The Miserable Mill Cards:
(PS: I checked and it's 28,000 words on arbookfind.com)
1 - character Count Olaf
4 - 4th in series
6 - character Sunny
7 - character Violet
Skip - character Klaus
Book completed Feb 11

The Austere Academy Cards:
(Note: 30,000+ words on arbookfind)
1 - character Count Olaf
5 - 5th in series
6 - character Sunny
7 - character Violet
Skip - character Klaus
Book completed Feb 13

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore Cards:
0 - stand-alone book (NOTE: Goodreads says it's #1 in the series but as the only other book listed is #0.5 and only 65 pages long I would personally count it as a stand-alone - but if others don't it would then work for card 1 :))
6 - author Sloan
Skip - character Penumbra
Probably works for reverse since it seems like a bit of a hot thing on Goodreads - I can check if we need another reverse card :)
Book completed Feb 17

Childhood's End Cards:
0 - stand-alone
6 - character Stormgren
Skip - character Karellan
Book completed Feb 18

The Dark Forest Cards:
0 - character Zhang Beihai
2 - 2nd in series
Book completed Feb 28

The Last Juror Cards:
2 - 2nd in series (I assume? Number isn't actually listed - but it's the second listed of 3 when you click on Lucien Wilbanks next to the title on Goodreads)
Book completed Feb 28

The Ersatz Elevator Cards:
1 - character Count Olaf
6 - 6th in series
7 - character Violet
Skip - character Klaus
Book completed Feb 28

Ready Player One Cards:
0 - stand-alone
8 - author Ernest
Skip - character Parzival
Book completed Feb 28

message 39: by Jess (new)

Jess Cattanach (jesscatt) | 116 comments Caroline, I didn't even know there was a prequel series, lol! Worth checking out?

Also, I've read The Tombs of Atuan and The Farthest Shore so those would work for reverse too :)

message 40: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (paper_moonshine) | 822 comments Jess wrote: "Caroline, I didn't even know there was a prequel series, lol! Worth checking out?

Also, I've read The Tombs of Atuan and The Farthest Shore so those would work for reverse too :)"

I really enjoyed the prequel series and it does give an answer to one major mystery that was left up in the air in the main series.

I'm really looking forward to finally reading all of the Earthsea books mixed with a bunch of Diana Wynne Jones stuff :D

message 41: by Emma (last edited Feb 24, 2017 08:31PM) (new)

Emma Kerle  | 51 comments Feb uno books:
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Completed 14/2
Skip: Potter, Percy
Reverse: read by another team member
1: Book 1 in an series
3: Hagrid and Hermione, Harry
6: Snape
9: Neville

Truly Madly Guilty - Completed 12/2
0: Stand alone
2: Title
8: Character Erika
2: Character Tiffany
3: Character Harry
6: Sam
1: Oliver

The Yellow Envelope: One Gift, Three Rules, and a Life-Changing Journey Around the World - Completed 5/2
Skip: Character Kim

The Japanese Lover Completed 25/2
0: Stand-alone
6: Character Seth
5: Author Isabel

The Good Girl (New add)
5: Place: Illinois
8: Character Eve
Skip: Author surname Kubica

The Girl Before (New add) Completed 17/2
8: Character Emma
6: Character Simon
Skip: Authour J P Delaney

message 42: by Bob (last edited Feb 28, 2017 06:14PM) (new)

Bob Pearsall (bobbledybook) Okay. I tend to be a pretty licentious reader, but I've managed to create a list of JUST ABOUT every book my impulsive mind MIGHT pick up next month.

Tristessa by Jack Kerouac **READ**
0 - Standalone
2 - Character Tristessa
Skip - Author Jack KEROUAC

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller **READ**
0 – Standalone
3 – Character Thetis
9 - Character Neoptolemus
Skip – Character Patroclus
Reverse – Caroline read it

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde **READ**
0 - Standalone
1 - Author OSCAR Wilde
3 - Character Lord HENRY Wotton
8 - Setting England
Reverse - Caroline has read it
<3 - Main character is a young man
<3 - Written in the 1800's

All My Friends Are Superheroes by Andrew Kaufman **READ**
0 - standalone
1 - setting ONTARIO
2 - character Tom
3 - character Hypno
Skip - character The Perfectionist, author Andrew KAUFMAN
<3 - characters go on a date in flashback

The Grass-Cutting Sword by Catherynne M. Valente **READ**
1 - character Oosusano-no-Mikoto
5 - Characters Izanami and Izanagi
7 - Author Catherynne M. VALENTE
Reverse - Caroline has read it

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson
0 – Standalone
6 – Author Brandon Sanderson
7 – Character named Vivian
8 – Setting is Elantris

A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab **READ**
2 – Book #2 in Shades of Magic series
6 – Author V.E. SCHWAB
7 – Author V.E Schwab
8 – Setting is England
Skip – Character Kell

Mort by Terry Pratchett
1 – 1st book in Death’s Discworld arc
2 – Author TERRY Pratchet
4 – Book #4 in Discworld series
Skip – Author Terry PRATCHETT

The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin
1 – Book #1 in The Broken Eearth series
4 – Title starts with “F”
5 – “Fifth” in title

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
1 – First in The Lord of the Rings series
2 - Author J.R.R. TOLKIEN
4 – Character Frodo Baggins
6 – Character Samwise Gamgee
Skip – Character Pippin
Reverse – I’m assuming at least one of you has read this before.

Heartless by Marissa Meyer
0 - standalone

message 43: by Ashlee (last edited Feb 27, 2017 07:33PM) (new)

Ashlee | 315 comments February Reading Plan

Here is my anticipated list. There will definitely be more characters to add along the way. I like to have options, so they probably won't be read in this order.

Orange Is the New Black FINISHED 2/9/17
1 - title
9 - character "Nora"
Skip - author (Piper Kerman)
Reverse - read by Kate

Enforce FINISHED 2/12/17
2 - character "Trace"
4 - character "Frank"
7 - author's surname
9 - character "Nixon"
8 - title

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic FINISHED 2/21/17
1 - first in series
3 - character "Hudson"
6 - character "Sienna"
7 - set in Vancouver
Skip - character "Kandy"
VALENTINE CHALLENGE - part 1 read this month by Angie 2/9/17

Saving Grace FINISHED 2/23/17
1 - first in series
3 - author's surname
6 - title
8 - character "Emily"
9 - character "Nick"
Skip - author's first name
VALENTINE CHALLENGE - added by Angie 2/1/16

Love, Chocolate, and Beer FINISHED 2/27/17
1 - 1st in series
7 - author's first name "Violet"
9 - character "Noah"
VALENTINE CHALLENGE - read by Ora 2/19/15

The Help
0 - standalone
3 - title
6 - author's surname
Skip - author's first name

Salt to the Sea
0 - Standalone
4 - character surname "Frick"
6 - title
8 - character "Emilia"
Reverse - read by Stephanie

Me Before You
1 - 1st in series

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children
1 - 1st in series
Reverse - read by Kate

Bang Bang
7 - author's surname

Rock Chick
1 - 1st in series
3 - character "Henry"
5 - character "India"
8 - character "Eddie"
9 - surname "Nightingale"

message 44: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee | 315 comments Sorry, just to be clear...we are going to update the ORIGINAL post? Should we post along the thread to refer back to our original post as we complete each?

message 45: by Caroline (last edited Jan 25, 2017 10:53PM) (new)

Caroline (paper_moonshine) | 822 comments Ashlee wrote: "Sorry, just to be clear...we are going to update the ORIGINAL post? Should we post along the thread to refer back to our original post as we complete each?"

no problem :) Please update your ORIGINAL post. This includes when you finish the book. We will check your ORIGINAL comments multiple times a week.

Please DO NOT make multiple comments for your February books. Often the teams get really chatty (which is great!) and this can lead to important information like card changes or read dates getting lost in the mix

message 46: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (paper_moonshine) | 822 comments Bob (Bobbledybook) wrote: "Okay. I tend to be a pretty licentious reader, but...

I've read Fellowship

Do you have The 5th Season as a physical book or ebook? Its been on my to-read list for a while

message 47: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments Please welcome new team member Raahil Mody!

message 48: by Raahil (new)

Raahil Modi (ichbinraahil) Hello everyone, I am Raahil from Bombay, India. Feels great joining you guys on Team Buttercup. It would be my first UNO challenge on Goodreads (not sure how I missed it last year).

It has been almost a year and a half now since I have been reading (quite a lot). Last year I met my goal by reading 52 books (a book a week) and yes, I enjoyed reading all of them.

Looking forward to making new friends here, this exciting game challenge and reading different recommendations and genres of books.

Sounds fun!
See ya later.

You can call me Raah :) :)

message 49: by Genna (last edited Mar 16, 2017 08:29AM) (new)

Genna Here are my likely books for February:

The Seed and the Sower
6 (title) 0 (stand alone) skip (author[Laurens van der Post])
Fear and Trembling
0 (stand alone) 4 (title, character [Fubuki]) 2 (location [Tokyo], character [Tenshi]) 9 (author [Amélie Nothomb])
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
0 (stand alone)
The Song of Achilles
6 (title) 0 (stand alone) Skip (character [Patroclus]) 1 (character [Odysseus]) 3 (character [Hector?]) 2 (character [Thetis])
Gone Girl
0 (stand alone) 9 (character [Nick], location [North Carthage]) 8 (surname [Elliot])

message 50: by Jess (new)

Jess Cattanach (jesscatt) | 116 comments Welcome Raah!

Genna wrote: "Here are my likely books for February:

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

I just finished World War Z last week - I really liked it! I was kind of expecting it to be average but I really enjoyed the format of it.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6