What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Books about sharp democratic regime changes and the effect on ordinary people

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Keith (new)

Keith | 223 comments In honour of Donald Trump's inauguration, I'm looking for recommendations of fiction in any genre in which a democracy undergoes a regime change (via elections that are publicly considered legitimate, or another legal* process like a change of parliamentary coalitions) between two very different leaders/governments and the results for ordinary citizens, civil servants, the military etc. The two regimes can be of any sort, so you could have a change from a conservative/centrist one to a highly radical one, from an extremely corrupt one to a crusading reformist one, from a highly liberal one to an authoritarian one, etc.

*This doesn't preclude secretly rigged elections and the like, so long as the transition is initially accepted as legitimate.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Watson | 142 comments Well, one fairly obvious example, just to get the ball rolling, is Sinclair Lewis' It Can't Happen Here.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Watson | 142 comments Perhaps also Phillip Roth's 2004 novel The Plot Against America, which describes an alternate history in which Charles Lindberg ran for and won the presidency in the 1936 election instead of Roosevelt, instituting pro-German policies, and keeping the U.S. out of the 2nd world war.

message 4: by Keith (new)

Keith | 223 comments I've read that one, but yes, that's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of.

message 6: by Keith (new)

Keith | 223 comments Thanks for the suggestions! I've read When She Woke, but I'd actually forgotten the title and hadn't added it on Goodreads. Amped sounds potentially interesting, but doesn't seem to have very good reviews.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael Watson | 142 comments It occurs to me that Frederic Rich's Christian Nation would also qualify for this thread.

message 9: by Keith (new)

Keith | 223 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Revolt in 2100"

I've read that, but good suggestion.

message 10: by Ingo (last edited Mar 02, 2017 11:06AM) (new)

Ingo (ilembcke) | 618 comments Thanks, just checked it (Revolt in 2100) and bought it, based on this thread.
You are the greatest, will also check the other books, might be a few more for my TBR.

message 11: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 127 comments Infomocracy fits the bill

message 12: by Ingo (new)

Ingo (ilembcke) | 618 comments Fresno Bob wrote: "Infomocracy fits the bill"

That one is on my daily ebook-check list, waiting for the price to sink below Eur 10 or Us$ 10.53 exchange-rate today, listed at B&N and Amazon US above. Tend to buy too many ebooks to really pay 10 quit for it, for some books I wait till they are below 7 Eur/Us$ (near 1:1 exchange). But with your recommendation I might spring for it when the price sinks a little. Thanks.

BTW, outside of the US the automatic check from eReaderiQ http://ereaderiq.com is rather hit-or-miss (mostly miss), but may be a help for some.

For the ebooks (25 currently) I check daily myself I use a simple script on Mac OS which opens each book on Amazon.de in a Safari (Browser) Tab. There may be better ways, but it works for me. Ok, sorry for the mostly OT-post.

Thanks for the update, Frenso Bob!

message 13: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 127 comments I get 99% of my books from the public library, both physical and virtual

message 14: by Michele (last edited Mar 05, 2017 06:16AM) (new)

Michele | 2425 comments Keith wrote: "...in which a democracy undergoes a regime change...between two very different leaders/governments and the results for ordinary citizens, civil servants, the military etc..."

Try the New York Times lol

OK, sorry. How about The Iron Heel?

The Handmaid's Tale has America becoming a theocracy, but there are interesting flashbacks that show how the different components were put in place, initially legitimately.

Edited to add: You also get glimpses of how just about all groups are affected -- average people, the clergy, the military, academia, etc.

message 15: by Ingo (new)

Ingo (ilembcke) | 618 comments Not totally a regime change, but a near-Future SF, with an all too believable reality, really liked this one, just thought of it:
Jennifer Government by Max Barry
Jennifer Government
Checked my books, this was bought 2007 and that was the year before I listed my read books and I have no review yet on Goodreads, I may read it again and deliver a review sometime, but no promises as to when.
Just from memory I rated it 5 stars now, but that may change to 4.

message 16: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39315 comments Mod
A Fine Balance is set in India during the Indira Gandhi government, although her name I don't think is actually mentioned. But the government is incredibly corrupt and there's one plotline where rural citizens are prevented from voting for their candidate of choice because the rural overlord type is supporting the other candidate (I can't remember if it's Gandhi or someone more local). He's in the pocket of the other candidate. When the citizens show up to vote for the non-corrupt candidate, are not allowed to, and rebel, bad stuff happens.