RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

Reading-Challenges > RMFAO 2017 Classics Catchup

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3580 comments Mod
Want to read more classics? Re-read an old favorite or one you missed by a favorite author? Or just browse and discover a forgotten author? The guideline is pre 1940, but later books are acceptable occasionally.

This Challenge has the advantage of being easy on the budget as so many are available free in numerous formats (including audio!) from such sites as Project Gutenberg, ManyBooks and LibriVox. No need to choose your books ahead of time, you've got all year and late-comers are welcome.

Level 1: Casual Reader: 2 books
Level 2: Frequent Reader: 3 - 5 books
Level 3: Bookworm: 6 - 8 books
Level 4: Scholar: 9 - 11 books
Level 5: Professor: 12 or more books

Who's joining? All you have to do is post here saying you plan to participate. You can choose the Level you hope to achieve now, or wait and see how it goes.

message 2: by Dagny (new)

I'm in again at Level 5 for the third year!

message 3: by Heena (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2222 comments Mod
Yay! I'm so excited for this challenge this year because I already have a long list ready (and not to forget my recent classic haul of 7 hardback classic books!)
I'll be reading all the audiobooks you recommended earlier, Dagny. So in 2017 I'll do better than this year. And I'm planning on reading a lot of audiobooks.
I'm also going to go for Level 5.

message 4: by Heena (new)

Oh, and I corrected the button/logo for the challenge (I made it as Classic instead of Classics.)
Here it is:
description

message 5: by Dagny (last edited Dec 18, 2016 11:19AM) (new)

Heena wrote: "Oh, and I corrected the button/logo for the challenge (I made it as Classic instead of Classics.)
"

Thanks, Heena!

message 6: by Athira (new)

Athira Nair | 9 comments I would like to take part in this.

message 7: by Dagny (new)

Athira wrote: "I would like to take part in this."

Wonderful, Athira! So glad to have you joining us for this one.

message 8: by Heena (last edited Jan 02, 2017 09:57PM) (new)

I'm reading From the Earth to the Moon - From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4) by Jules Verne by Jules Verne as a part of my Sci-Fi book.
All the stories in this book are classics so I'm thinking of counting them indivisually as most of them are more than 100 pages individual books.
Would that be okay, Dagny?

message 9: by Athira (new)

Athira Nair | 9 comments I am hoping to start this with The Scarlet Letterby Nathaneil Hawthorne after i finish the book i am currently reading. But i do have a doubt. The levels mentioned; they are for the entire year right?

message 10: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "I'm reading From the Earth to the Moon - From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4) by Jules Verne by Jules Verne as a part of my Sci-Fi book.
All the stories in this book are classics so I'm think..."

Sounds like you're reading a collection. Definitely ok to count them individually, Henna.

I've been meaning to read that Verne book for ages. I should go ahead and read it while waiting for one of the books I have on hold through the library.

message 11: by Dagny (new)

Athira wrote: "I am hoping to start this with The Scarlet Letterby Nathaneil Hawthorne after i finish the book i am currently reading. But i do have a doubt. The levels mentioned; they are for the entire year right?"

The Scarlet Letter is a good one! I read it ages ago. Heena was going to listen to the audio last year, but I don't remember that she ever had time for it.

Yes, Athira, these levels (unlike the Genre Challenge) are for the entire year. Have fun!

message 12: by Dagny (new)

I'm listening to From the Earth to the Moon now. I think I started reading this at some point in the past and abandoned it. My big question is - aren't they EVER going to take off? Arrrgh.

message 13: by Heena (new)

Dagny wrote: "I'm listening to From the Earth to the Moon now. I think I started reading this at some point in the past and abandoned it. My big question is - aren't they EVER going to take off? Arr..."

That's sweet, Dagny! I'm not a fan of Jules Verne's writing (as I DNF'ed the last I read after only a few pages), but I just want to get done with this one as it is the first in the collection I have.
I started reading it and then I guess I didn't wanted to go further so I opened a new random book (Sister Sister) and spent the entire frigging day reading it. Lol. And now your big question has really made me all the more doubtful about thtis story.
I'll see if I can read it despite not feeling like it, otherwise I'll use your LibriVox link for the audio book and listen to the rest of the story. At least that'll make sure I complete it.

message 14: by Athira (new)

Athira Nair | 9 comments Dagny wrote: "Athira wrote: "I am hoping to start this with The Scarlet Letterby Nathaneil Hawthorne after i finish the book i am currently reading. But i do have a doubt. The levels mentioned; they are for the ..."

Thank you. I will be reading the ebook and i think i will go for level 5. Have fun. :)

message 15: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: " From the Earth to the Moon ."

I am now over halfway (thank goodness it's shortish) and they are still running around on Earth. Too much science and preparation for me. I expect I'll finish listening to it while doing other things, but I'm certainly not recommending it to anyone. I'm not a special fan of Verne's writing either.

My favorite Jules Verne anecdote refers to his Around the World in Eighty Days. When Nellie Bly was making her trip around the world, they met - Verne and his wife had her out to their home. Nellie's book, Around the World in Seventy-Two Days is available at http://digital.library.upenn.edu/wome... There are a few parts which drag, but overall all, it's a fun read.

message 16: by Dagny (new)

Athira wrote: "i think i will go for level 5.."

Yea, another Professor!

message 17: by Dagny (new)

1. From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne

message 18: by Heena (new)

Book #1 From the Earth to the Moon - 2/5
My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Finally, I'm done with this one!!! I'm not reading another Verne story this year :|

message 19: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "Finally, I'm done with this one!!! I'm not reading another Verne story this year :|"

Me neither! At least I hope not - if one gets nominated at the French Lit group, I might be forced into it.

message 20: by Heena (new)

Dagny wrote: "Me neither! At least I hope not - if one gets nominated at the French Lit group, I might be force..."

I hope his books don't get nominated then for your sake. My sympathies with you if at all they do.
I'm amazed how strongly I've come to feel about his writing. I've never dreaded any other author's writing this way, ever.

message 21: by Dagny (new)

Finished 2nd classic for the year:
2. Strait is the Gate by André Gide

Turned out to be more or less a coming-of-age book. I'm too old to be very enthralled by them. A really weird romantic situation.

message 22: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 2260 comments Mod
I finished The Mysteries of Paris. Does it count for 2017 (when I finished it) or for 2016 (when I started it)?

message 23: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "I finished The Mysteries of Paris. Does it count for 2017 (when I finished it) or for 2016 (when I started it)?"

Yea, you finished! The time is getting near.

I think Goodreads will count it in 2017, the year finished, so you could go that route if you wanted to. I've got it plus another 'classic' in progress which I started last year. As far as this Challenge goes, I'm not counting either one. I don't need them to make the top level here which is twelve books, so it really has no effect for me. If you need it for this Challenge and read over half of it this year, then I'd say go ahead and count it.

message 24: by Cheryl (new)

OK, I will count it for this year's challenge.

1.) The Mysteries of Paris

message 25: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "OK, I will count it for this year's challenge.

1.) The Mysteries of Paris"

I would count it too if I needed to. Even half of it is longer than two other longish books!

message 26: by Cheryl (new)

For my second classic, I am reading The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells.

message 27: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl wrote: "For my second classic, I am reading The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells."

Finished it. 2 stars.

message 28: by Dagny (last edited Jan 21, 2017 06:03AM) (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "For my second classic, I am reading The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells."

Finished it. 2 stars."

I don't care much for Wells' SF either. I enjoy his non-SF though. Odd that.

Wasn't The Invisible Man hateful? Understandable I guess, but so unlikeable. There's an old tv series which I loved and the character was much nicer. I went into this book expecting the character to be like the tv character.

message 29: by Heena (last edited Jan 21, 2017 05:38AM) (new)

Book #2 - Into The Sun by Robert Duncan Milne - 4/5

message 30: by Cheryl (last edited Feb 02, 2017 07:22PM) (new)

Book 3.) The Lady of the Ice. This is a hilarious romantic comedy that reminds me a bit of P. G. Wodehouse. I just started it.

message 31: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Book 2.) The Lady of the Ice. This is a hilarious romantic comedy that reminds me a bit of P. G. Wodehouse. I just started it."

Sounds like it might be cute.

message 32: by Cheryl (last edited Feb 02, 2017 07:22PM) (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Book 3.) The Lady of the Ice. This is a hilarious romantic comedy that reminds me a bit of P. G. Wodehouse. I just started it."

Finished it. 3 stars. Lots of fun. This would be a good one to read for the Humor Genre Challenge in September.

message 33: by Dagny (new)

My third for this year:
The Wrong Box

Available free at Project Gutenberg and LibriVox. I started listening to it, but this story didn't lend itself well to listening. I kept getting confused on who was who, so ended up reading the etext.

message 34: by Cheryl (new)

I just started Book 4.) The Sign of Four

message 35: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl wrote: "I just started Book 4.) The Sign of Four"

Finished it. 3 stars

message 36: by Cheryl (new)

Book 5.) The Mysterious Affair at Styles . I since it's a mystery, I will also use it for the February genre challenge.

message 37: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Book 5.) The Mysterious Affair at Styles . I since it's a mystery, I will also use it for the February genre challenge."

Finished it. 3 stars.

message 38: by Dagny (new)

Love it when they count for two, Cheryl.

message 39: by Cheryl (new)

I finished Book 6.) Narrative of William W. Brown: A Fugitive Slave. 4 stars.

message 40: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "I finished Book 6.) Narrative of William W. Brown: A Fugitive Slave. 4 stars."

Wasn't that an eye-opener!

message 41: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "I finished Book 6.) Narrative of William W. Brown: A Fugitive Slave. 4 stars."

Wasn't that an eye-opener!"

Yes. It was emotionally difficult to read, but it gave such a personal perspective to slavery. I don't know how he found the will to survive it.

message 42: by Cheryl (new)

I finished book 7.) The Middle Temple Murder by J. S. Fletcher. 4 stars. My review can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 43: by Dagny (new)

4. The Red Thumb Mark by R. Austin Freeman

message 44: by Dagny (new)

#5 L'Atlantide (Queen of Atlantis) by Pierre Benoit

message 45: by Dagny (new)

6. The Bat by Mary Roberts Rinehart

message 46: by Dagny (new)

7. Clotel; or, The President's Daughter by William Wells Brown

message 47: by Dagny (new)

8. Ramona by Helen Hunt Jackson

message 48: by Cheryl (new)

8.) Hope Hathaway by Frances Parker. 2 stars, and abandoned at half-way mark.

message 49: by Dagny (new)

9. The Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers

message 50: by Dagny (new)

10. The Girl at Central by Geraldine Bonner

« previous 1 3