What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Seeker (Noble Warriors Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Seeker
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Book about a boy who grew up on an island nation famous for a temple that is the home of a god [s]

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Graydon | 7 comments I do not remember the author, any part of the title other than that it was short and very vague. The book is fantasy and I read it when I was in middle school, so about 8-10 years ago.

The book is about a young man, teenager I think, who grew up on an island nation in a temple that housed the God. I don't remember if all of the temple dwellers could but I know the main character could channel the power of the god to do certain things.

The rest of this post contains spoilers.

He ended up leaving the island on an adventure after looking into the courtyard that houses the God to find it empty and eventually makes it to another nations capital where they worship the sun and every day before the sun sets they sacrifice someone to ensure that the sun rises again. The main character I think stops this practice one day and everyone is in an uproar cause they think the world will end.

Eventually the main character inherits all the power of the God and actually finds out that there really is no God? And that an older version of himself already found this out and a bunch of stuff happens that I'm not sure of but he and a girl go to this house that can't really be found unless you have this power.. I'm not too sure after that but if anyone knows what I'm talking about please help haha.

message 3: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
This is a shot in the dark - but The Blue Hawk has some elements that match:

"In an ancient kingdom controlled by the sinister power of the Priests, Tron is a temple-boy in training, devoted to performing vital rituals to O and Aa, the gods of the Sun and Moon. But when he overturns a solemn sacrifice of the Blue Hawk, Tron is in deadly danger and must run for his life."

message 4: by Andria (new)

lol, Rainbowheart, we posted at about the same time. Great minds!

Graydon | 7 comments Unfortunately that's not the one I'm looking for. Some additional information is that I know the main character wears only simple robes and no shoes.

I will look into that book though because it seems interesting!

Graydon | 7 comments Also I think the title is very simple, something along the lines of "the wanderer" or "the nomad" it's very very basic.

message 7: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16265 comments Do you remember if it was a total fantasy world, or inspired by a historical setting? Was there fantasy and magic going on? No modern people time traveling or anything like that, right?

Heart of a Jaguar doesn't sound exactly right. Middleworld has some mythology stuff, but seems too modern.

Graydon | 7 comments It was a completely fantasy world. I know some of the characters where magical, but only the main character and another older character had godlike powers. Powers included using the forces of nature such as using wind to push or lift objects, I remember one scene he stomped on the ground and a huge earthen wall raised from the ground(I think ).

There was no time travel or anything like that.

I want to say that the name of the God was Noma or something like that. I might have a lot of false information though because it has been a long time. It was not a hugely popular book even at the time.

Graydon | 7 comments I'm not sure if it helps but I also remember one scene at the end (and this may be a series of books too I can't remember) where the main character is in the house that's hidden and he's looking in a mirror and there is the old man, and he realizes that he's the old man or something like that.

message 10: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4132 comments Seeker by William Nicholson? According to the wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_W... it has the sacrifice detail: "In Radiance they worship the Sun, and in order to make the Sun rise the next day, every evening a sacrifice must be made by throwing a person from the cliff. In Seeker, Morning Star is almost sacrificed, as is her mother, but fortunately they are saved by the Nomana, Seeker, and the Wildman. No sacrifice is made on that day, and although the Sun does come up on the next day..."

Graydon | 7 comments Yes that's it! Thank you!!

Graydon | 7 comments Also I'm not entirely sure how to change the thread to solved, I'm on the mobile app and am relatively new haha.

message 13: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4132 comments Great!
Also I'm not entirely sure how to change the thread to solved, I'm on the mobile app ...
There should be "edit" next to the title (probably not on the app though), it's not a problem for mod to change it, too, I think.

message 14: by Andria (new)

Glad you found it! I'll take care of changing the thread and adding the book to our group shelves.

message 15: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16265 comments Cool, glad this one is solved!