Horror Aficionados discussion

Buddy Reads > Buddy Read Request

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt Rosenthal (u2boy) | 9 comments Anyone have a good horror book they would want to read and discuss daily? I have read most of the classics and find most new books are let down. I love Joe Hill, but not NOS4A2. I like Stephen King, but am continuously let down by his recent stuff especially Mr. Mercedes. Recently I tried Bird Box and Head Full of Ghosts which also let me down. I like creepy and eerie without just reading about zombies or silly ghosts. I like really disturbing descriptions and good characters. Most of all, I want to be engulfed in the book. I have not read Stephen King's It, but own it. I was also thinking of House of Leaves. Just about to give up on an engaging creepy book. Please let me know if you have suggestions.

message 2: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 2895 comments Mod
I don't think I'm up for any more buddy reads right now as I'm busy but I would recommend Trapped. JA Konrath has some of the most disturbing horror I've read. If you like gore and interesting characters his books should work. I'm almost finished with Konrath's Origin and it has gory, creepy scenes.

message 3: by Matt (new)

Matt Rosenthal (u2boy) | 9 comments That's a little silly. I have read his books. Gross, but no substance. thank you though for the rec.

message 4: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments I agree. Afraid and Endurance are also excellent reads.

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Barnett | 184 comments Try Revival from Stephen King if you haven't already. It's got great characters and easily one of the darkest conclusions I've ever read. The Hanover Block by Gregor Xane is also a sharp, quick read. Very bizarre and well written. I can't really say more than that without giving something away, but it should land somewhere up your alley if you're a Twilight Zone fan.

Have you tried any Dan Simmons? The Song of Kali is brilliant, and so is Carrion Comfort, though that's a doorstopper for sure. A lot of people swear by Summer of Night, and I really enjoyed it as well, but not as much as the former two.

message 6: by Matt (new)

Matt Rosenthal (u2boy) | 9 comments It's funny that you say Revival because I was just looking at that. I always get excited about a new Stephen King book until I read the synopsis. Mr. Mercedes was what stopped me from liking his new books. Revival turned me off because I do not like religion mixed with my horror. I also read some awful reviews about it. I would try it though. I still think he write so well regardless of whether his books are good or not. Just read Joyland this Summer and was also let down by that. I think Duma Key was one of my favorite newer books. Definitely 11/22/63 which may be my favorite. I am planning to attempt to read “It” but I already know the story from the made for TV mini series. I will look at the Hanover Block. Have you read House of Leaves? Dan Simmons wrote one of my favorites called “The Terror”. I read Summer of Night and it was an absolute chore after the first quarter of the book. That however had the potential for what I am looking for in a book. I skipped Carron Comfort because I don’t think Vampires are interesting. I think I read the sample on kindle for Song of Kali and was bored. It is so hard to find a good book. It does not have to be gory, just eerie and well written. Ever read Cujo? The opening where the monster is in the kids closet and gets closer and closer to the bed is the creep factor I look for. Most books have silly ghosts or over the top slasher killers that don’t do anything for me. Thanks for your recs!

message 7: by Char (last edited Oct 25, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Char  | 13729 comments Mod
House of Leaves is more of an experience than *just* a book. It will require an investment of time and patience on your part. We did a buddy read of it earlier this year. If you decide to read it, you could look up the thread and comment there, if no one is ready to read it with you now.

I agree with Daniel's recommendation of Revival-the ending was killer. I also agree regarding Song of Kali and Carrion Comfort.

To be honest, I wasn't all that thrilled with A Head Full of Ghosts either, but I did enjoy Disappearance at Devil's Rock quite a bit.

IT was very good, (I just completed my third re-read), but it's very long. (We just did a buddy read of that one too, so you could always check out that thread.)

For more lesser known authors I would recommend:
Jeff Strand's Pressure or Dweller. If you like humor with your horror then I would highly recommend Wolf Hunt.

Greg Gifune is a master of atmosphere and if you like that, I recommend The Rain Dancers and The Bleeding Season.

Lastly, one of my favorites is Tim Curran. Specifically:
Deadlock
Dead Sea
Worm
Skin Medicine
Graveworm

message 8: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Barnett | 184 comments Matt wrote: "It's funny that you say Revival because I was just looking at that. I always get excited about a new Stephen King book until I read the synopsis. Mr. Mercedes was what stopped me from liking his ne..."

The religion aspect of Revival is more of a . . . starting point for the characters. It quickly (ish) fades into the backdrop of a story revolving around obsession, addiction, and (perhaps otherworldly) invention. Think Thomas Edison meets Frankenstein meets Lovecraft.

Sorry you were bummed out about Joyland, but I'm not surprised if you went into it looking for thrills.

I haven't read House of Leaves, but I'm sure I will one day. I'm definitely intrigued about it, but all the formatting and stylistic subversions make me a little wary.

Carrion Comfort's vampires are only vampires in the absolute loosest sense of the word. Skipping it for that reason would be an absolute shame. There are no fangs involved. It is a time commitment, though.

Song of Kali is a slow burn, but if you're looking for eerie and well written, it doesn't really get much better than that. The atmosphere of that book just ramps up and up and up, and it's a pretty short read all in all.

Yeah, I've read Cujo. Just finished a re read of it about a month ago, and I also loved the touch that the closet adds to the book.

message 9: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Puyo | 64 comments I wish I could do the buddy read thing. But I read too slow, I'm sure. :/ I hate the fact that when I finish a book, I have no one to talk to about it.

message 10: by Matt (new)

Matt Rosenthal (u2boy) | 9 comments Char wrote: "House of Leaves is more of an experience than *just* a book. It will require an investment of time and patience on your part. We did a buddy read of it earlier this year. If you decide to read it, ..."
Thanks Char, I will consider reading "It" even though I saw the movie and know what happens. Maybe Revival is worth it. Maybe Carrion Comfort. I have read Pressure! Thanks for reminding me of that author. I loved Dweller too. I do not like humor added. Although I guess I did not mind it with Joe Hill. Tim Curran sounds a little like a gore fest without great writing. Greg Gifune has also been described as gross but not a good writer. Maybe just shock value like JA Konrath or Jack Ketchum. Although I loved The Girl Next Door.

message 11: by Matt (new)

Matt Rosenthal (u2boy) | 9 comments Daniel wrote: "Matt wrote: "It's funny that you say Revival because I was just looking at that. I always get excited about a new Stephen King book until I read the synopsis. Mr. Mercedes was what stopped me from ..."
Okay I will try more Dan Simmons. It's either "It" or "Carrion Comfort". My problem with Joyland was the reveal. It was just dull. I am not looking always for terror, but was hoping the theme park would have been more creepy and eerie. I did not know it was just gonna be a run of the mill scooby doo who dunnit. I love great characters like "Stand By Me" and "Shawshank Redemption" It does not have to be gory or terrorizing, but I don't like basic Dean Koontz killer books. They are dull. This is why Mr. Mercedes was such a shame.

message 12: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Matt wrote: "Greg Gifune has also been described as gross but not a good writer. Maybe just shock value like JA Konrath or Jack Ketchum. Although I loved The Girl Next Door."

I don't mean to be confrontational at all here, but "has been described" is a little vague, and I'm really curious where you've heard that, considering I've never heard that opinion about Greg Gifune. His work is much more atmospheric than "gross", and his characterization is very good. Just my opinion, of course. If you're interested in trying him for yourself, a title I would recommend that I found incredibly creepy is "Long After Dark". But both of Char's recommendations are excellent as well (not surprising, as she had impeccable taste :-)

I'm not even going to address how vehemently I disagree with the statement that Jack Ketchum is "just shock value". Oops, I guess I just did. :-)

Seriously, though, I'm confident you'll get some good recommendations here, because there are a lot of well-read people here. I'm at a bit of a loss what to recommend myself other than the above, since many of the creepiest books I've read are ghost stories, which don't seem to be your thing. Good luck!

message 13: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Barnett | 184 comments Robert wrote: "Matt wrote: "Greg Gifune has also been described as gross but not a good writer. Maybe just shock value like JA Konrath or Jack Ketchum. Although I loved The Girl Next Door."

I don't mean to be co..."

Yeah, I can see Greg Gifune not being for everyone, but I've read a few of his books and his stuff his pretty far away from the "gross" end of the horror spectrum. He might not be your thing, Matt, but I wouldn't write him off based on that.

message 14: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 595 comments I haven't read it yet, but Dan Simmons also wrote The Abominable, which looks like it could be good. I have read Drood by him, and gave it 4 stars.

Have you read any Edgar Allan Poe? Very atmospheric and little gore involved.

Have you tried The Haunting of Hill House? Or The Little Stranger? Maybe they're about ghosts, or maybe not;-).

Harvest Home and The Other by Thomas Tyron are both excellent.

The Metamorphosis and Other Stories. Frank Kafka has some seriously creepy short stories.

The Bad Seed. Well written and chilling.

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane. I remember this freaking me out when I was a kid. I probably read it when I was way too young;-).

message 15: by Matt (new)

Matt Rosenthal (u2boy) | 9 comments Kelly wrote: "I haven't read it yet, but Dan Simmons also wrote The Abominable, which looks like it could be good. I have read Drood by him, and gave it 4 stars.

Have you read any..."

I wanted so badly to read The Abominable. They made the cover look like a sequel to The Terror. I just heard too many poor reviews to waste my time. I do read things that have poor reviews, but I just saw so many on this book. I am not against ghost stories. Just rarely read a good one.

message 16: by Char (last edited Oct 25, 2016 06:11PM) (new)

Char  | 13729 comments Mod
I agree with Robert and Daniel regarding Gifune. I've read quite a few of his books now and gore has rarely played a part. Atmosphere, ambiguity and characters are usually where his stories live.

Kelly has great recs above. :)