Beyond Reality discussion

General SF&F discussion > R.I.P. Sheri S. Tepper (1929-2016)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Sheri S. Tepper has passed away. She was 87.

This sad news comes via Locus, which has a run-down of her work and awards: http://www.locusmag.com/News/2016/10/...

Do you have a favorite book by Sheri S. Tepper? Is there one you have meant to read for a long time but have never gotten around to?

message 2: by Richard (new)

Richard (thinkingbluecountingtwo) | 136 comments Sad news indeed. Her wonderfull book Grass made such an impression on me that it inspired me to make my first ever GR review.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan (shbeaty) Oh, I'm so sorry to hear Sheri Tepper has passed away. I've really enjoyed reading her books over the years and am sad there will be no more new ones.

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 218 comments A wonderful writer - one of my favourites, actually. I just picked up A Plague of Angels yesterday.

I think the first book of hers I read was Sideshow, which completely blew me away. Grass and The Gate to Women's Country are also favourites. I have many of her books on my TBR shelves, of course.

Thanks, Sheri, for all the worlds

message 5: by Teanka (new)

Teanka I only read Grass earlier this year, and it made a big impression on me. I'm planning to read a lot more of her books. What sad news!

message 6: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments I have never read anything she has written but I have heard I should read Grass

I will keep an eye out for it

message 7: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments I have read and enjoyed The Gate to Women's Country. I tried to get into Grass a few years back, but it didn't click for me at the time.

Today I went through the list of her books and wrote down a few that looked interesting to me. (I'm much more drawn to her eco- and socio-political sci-fi than to her fantasy, but that's par for the reading course for me.) I walked to my local indie bookstore and found a copy of Shadow's End and have added it to my queue. I hope to track down a copy of The Family Tree next.

message 8: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2174 comments Mod
I never read anything of hers, though she's been on my list of authors to try for a long time. :(

message 9: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3152 comments Mod
Sad news. I have only read one book by Tepper, Beauty, and I have to admit, I don't recall it very well. I would like to try Grass or The Gate to Women's Country or A Plague of Angels, which always seem to garner praise and recommendations.

message 10: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 4 comments I read the trilogy "The Books of the True Game": King's Blood Four, Necromancer Nine, and Wizard's Eleven a few years ago. It turns out that these were her first fantasy books from the early 1980s. I found them excellent and realized that Sherri Tepper was a force to reckon with. The trilogy was very enjoyable. Just a few weeks ago I picked up The Visitor just to check it out. However, it is still in my TBR pile. I do have quite a number of her books in my stacks.