Start by marking “Necromancer Nine (Land of the True Game, #2)” as Want to Read:
Necromancer Nine (Land of the True Game, #2)

Necromancer Nine (Land of the True Game #2)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  610 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Some will be kings, some will be sorcerers, and some pawns in the real lives of those who live the magical chess game on True Life. But one child is wreaking havoc; he can be any player he likes and threatens to destroy the game forever.
Published September 1st 1983 by Ace (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Necromancer Nine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Necromancer Nine

Neil Hepworth
May 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Huh. Alrighty then.

So, our intrepid hero, Peter, doesn’t do nearly as much growing in this novel as the previous. He spends much of his time either alone, or with Mavin Manyshaped, who is not a very interesting character - not at all. And the world Peter traveled in this book felt more haphazard this time around, too. Between the “rape village”, and the caricatures that inhabit The Blot, I felt that Tepper was going for shock value without a whole lot of reason for doing so.

As far as that endin
Andy Bird
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favourites, 9
Very good. This book is the middle book of a trilogy, you cannot really read it as a standalone, and in many ways you have to judge it as part of the trilogy. Therefore the comments from the first book also apply to this one. In its own right, this book holds its own, it does not slow down as some middle book sometimes do, and it moves, and expands, the story along nicely. If you liked the first book then this is a must.
Steven
Feb 19, 2017 added it
Shelves: michael-havens
The ISBN 0-441-56852-1 on the book brings up Necromancer by Gordon R. Dickson on Goodreads!
John Loyd
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A year has passed since the Great Game at Bannerwell and the end of King's Blood Four. Peter tells Himmagery and Windlow that he needs to search for his mother. So he leaves the Bright Demesne to go to Schooltown and talk with Mertyn. After an adventurous journey he reaches Schooltown and Mertyn gives him a cryptic note on how to find Mavin. He first needs to go to where the people fear the unborn. It turns out this is straight forward, it's a particular town. Riddle the immutable knows of it an ...more
Barb
Mar 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
I found this book at a second hand store but hadn't had a chance to read it. I love Sheri S. Tepper! She has a fantastic mind and is a delightful storyteller. This book is a sequel to "King's Blood Four" and I enjoyed it more than the first. She isn't an author who typically does sequels and trilogies, at least in her later works. I am reading her early stuff now, since I've read all of her other books in her SF genre. Peter, the main character, continues to develop with the help of the Game pie ...more
Marie
Nov 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Our slightly-more-mature hero strikes out, disguised as a Necromancer (not entirely disguised - since the discovery of a unique set of miniature game pieces which hold the spirits of eleven historical ‘gamesmen’, Peter can shape-shift into these types of magic users and access their powers.)

Got ahead of myself a little there - he does actually have to pretend before he finds the pieces. This book made me daydream a lot about a miniatures combat tie-in. Also Tepper manages not to make it annoying
Victoria
Jan 25, 2013 rated it liked it
This was much more fun and readable than the first book in the trilogy, but it had some problematic bits about women's roles and disabled people--the latter gratuitous and offensive enough that had they not been extremely brief throwaway lines, I would have put the book down.

One thing's for sure: This is not the Sheri S. Tepper of her more recent books! It's hard to recognize anything of her style or her values here. Still a really neat little fantasy/sci fi journey with some interesting twists.
J L's Bibliomania
Feb 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya, 2015-reads
Necromancer Nine, the 2nd book in the trilogy about Peter, was weaker than the first book in the series.
Unfortunately the beginning contains a sexual awakening scene which is just explicit enough that I will not be handing these books to my newly-turned 11 year old. Without the implications of rape/forced sex, the rest of the fare in the books is appropriate to middle-grade readers and shows touches of the spectacular writer that Sheri S. Tepper becomes.

Carole O'Brien
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, fantasy
The further into the book I got the more I enjoyed it, forget magicians, these game masters are the real deal, they are able to shape shift into any thing they want too, human or animal.

As young people they are given wooden figures, they use these for different talents, later in the book you find out how these wooden figures come into being and it is not what you expect.

Drini Cami
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Somewhat slow, but still quite interesting. The most annoying thing is that the characters are shallow, and that it is somewhat difficult to understand the rules of the 'game', even if you've read the series. But overall, I enjoyed reading it and I liked how easy it was to read!
Joshua Castleman
Dec 29, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5
The ending really saved this from being a mediocre book. Some of the ideas that pulled together at the end were really fun and interesting. If the whole book had been about those things, or with other things like it, easily a 4-4.5 star story.
Rebecca DeLaTorre
I adored this creepy little book when I was a pre-teen in the late eighties. I never found any of the sequels to the series and have often wondered what became of the the characters. I've finally ordered them from Amazon and eagerly await returning to this universe.
Haley
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a strange world Tepper has created. I'm not sure if this has turned into a sci fi novel or not... I'm fascinated and eager to finish this trilogy and move on to the next.
Bracicot
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Second book in the True Game series. A little slower than the first and third, but still excellent.
Tim Weakley
Really enjoying the development of Peter's talent. And the blues!
Matthew Hancock
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-game
Amazing! Wonderful build up to what's going on.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
#2 glad I have third handy!
Rhiannon
Apr 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Sheri Tepper is a vrey good writer and I just loved this series.
Jay
Jun 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful
Mckinley
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi, series, novel
Not as into this series as some of her other work I've read.
Bogdan Pantea
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Nice unexpected sci-fi twist. Some characters are poorly developed (like the main villain), but you don't really notice it. The world where this series takes place is just amazing.
Teresa
Jimmy
Jan 24, 2012
Dave Mello
Aug 03, 2012
  • The Black Beast (The Book of Isle, #4)
  • The New Springtime (New Springtime, #2)
  • Sleipnir
  • Sorcerer's Son (The Book of Elementals, #1)
  • Grail (Jacob's Ladder, #3)
  • Fire in the Mist (Arhel, #1)
  • Ware Hawk (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #7)
  • Alabaster
  • Fantasy Life
  • The Grey Horse
  • Wizard's Row (Liavek, #3)
  • Flesh and Gold (Lyhhrt Trilogy, #1)
  • Golden Witchbreed
  • The Outcast (Time Master, #2)
  • The Black Flame (Rifkind, #2)
  • Return of the Jedi
  • The Demon Queen And The Locksmith
20560
Sheri Stewart Tepper was a prolific American author of science fiction, horror and mystery novels; she was particularly known as a feminist science fiction writer, often with an ecofeminist slant.

Born near Littleton, Colorado, for most of her career (1962-1986) she worked for Rocky Mountain Planned Parenthood, where she eventually became Executive Director. She has two children and is married to G
More about Sheri S. Tepper...

Land of the True Game (3 books)
  • King's Blood Four (Land of the True Game, #1)
  • Wizard's Eleven (Land of the True Game, #3)