What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA book about magic - started with a girl being awoken from a magical sleep in the walls of the ruins of her childhood house. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo WHEN: I read this last year and I think it was fairly new - so probably written in the last few years or so.

READING LEVEL: YA

WHAT THE STORY IS ABOUT: This is where I get stuck! I remember the book started with a teenage girl who had been put into a magical sleep and had been left inside the walls of her house to keep her safe. She was woken up some years later by some boys playing or exploring nearby.

She then went to live with her cousin and an aunt, I think. She had some magical powers. I think she had to hide her magic, because magic was looked on with suspicion by the people in the town because of whatever it was that happened when she was a child that led her parents to put her into a magical sleep and hide her.

I think there was also some sort of magically dangerous forest as well.

I think there was also a boy she wasn't supposed to be associating with who kissed her, too.

GENRE: YA fantasy I guess

FORMAT: I read it as a print book

I've been trying to think of the name of this book for ages so if anyone could help I'd be so grateful! :)

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments The Mysterious Woods of Whistle Root The Mysterious Woods of Whistle Root by Christopher Pennell ?

Do you remember the cover of the book?
Part of a series?
What time period/location does the story take place (England, fictional land, etc)?
Were there other magical elements like witches, trolls, talking animals, etc?

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo Definitely not that one - it's for upper YA.

I have no idea what the cover looked like.

I think it was the first in a series. I'm not sure the others had been published yet, though.

It took place in America. Not sure about the time period. It was almost like a sort of alternate America, where there was magic and stuff.

Nothing like trolls or talking animals.

message 4: by Jo (new)

Jo I found it! It's called Fiendish and it's by Brenna Yovonoff.

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34466 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Jo. Here's the link - Fiendish by Brenna Yovanoff.