World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Computer games script writing jobs & rights covered under film?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (last edited Oct 23, 2016 05:35PM) (new)

Alex (asato) I just thought of a question. Computer games are big business and don't a lot of those games have scripts? Wouldn't they be covered under film rights?

Here's a somewhat dated article about writing for games:

http://www.tor.com/2010/12/03/breakin...

But here are some pretty cool jobs:

Crystal Dynamics Game Writer position (they're owned by Square-Enix and they created Tomb Raider) -- check out their trailer from a year ago (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/new...) - oh man, Lara Croft rocks.

* If you have sound experience, you could even write dialogue as a Narrative Designer or Senior Narrative Writer

message 2: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13506 comments Alex G wrote: "Computer games are big business and don't a lot of those games have scripts? Wouldn't they be covered under film rights?..."

I assume most of the scripts are written as 'work for hire', like ghosts writing books for celebs without retaining any rights..

message 3: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 193 comments I have a friend who works for EA DICE in Stockholm, so I just asked her. Their writers are employees so Nik is right, it's work for hire and all rights belong to the company.

Would make for a fun resumé entry either way though.

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Krazykiwi wrote: "I have a friend who works for EA DICE in Stockholm, so I just asked her. Their writers are employees so Nik is right, it's work for hire and all rights belong to the company.

Would make for a fun..."

thanks!

but let's say you wrote a book and a computer game company wanted to adapt that into a game like The Last Wish was adapted into the game, The Witcher.

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) This is a good question! I think computer and video games these days have some serious plot and detail to them. They are very similar to books and film so I'd assume some have writers and directors.

Assassins Creed is being made into a movie and that's a big time game franchise.

message 6: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13506 comments I think whatever original stuff you write, unless it's preordered, it's copyrighted and whoever wants to use it whether for a game or a movie needs to come to terms with an author