Gore and More discussion

General Horror Chat > Where do you like to read your horror?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenneth (last edited Oct 22, 2016 12:05PM) (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 677 comments Mod
Many of us are creatures of habit. We get a new book by our favorite author and we can't wait to dive right into it. But first, we need to be sitting in our favorite reading spot. Some need a certain drink beside them to make their read better. Others read in the light, while others must have the lights off and read on their e-reader. Some read in bed. Some have to wait until their kids are all in bed before they can crack the book. Still many use their lunch hour to read. Others have to have their pet on their lap. We all have our reading habits. Tell us about yours - Do you have a certain routine that you must follow?

message 2: by Marie (new)

Marie It has to be quiet in the house. I get comfortable in my recliner and if it is night then I turn off the lights and read my e-reader. I need that spooky lights out atmosphere when reading my horror books.

message 3: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) I like to be alone when I read horror; so I prefer an isolated spot in a park, weather permitting. Sometimes the squirrels frolicking or the deer who sneak up from behind to read over your shoulder can be distracting. I also sometimes park in a tractor lane between two cornfields and read there. I'm middle aged and not scared of much so atmosphere definitely helps to amp up the fear factor

message 4: by D20 (new)

D20 | 173 comments Big chair in the living room, low light, Kindle so I can read easily, glass of wine.

message 5: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I read whenever I can, even going as far as reading a page or two in an ebook on my phone when in a long line, so although I don't have a ritual for every time I read, my favorite reading spot is on the deck, late afternoon, house empty and dogs at my feet.

message 6: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 150 comments I like to read whenever I can. I read while at the doctor's office waiting to be called in, on the couch in my house, in bed, whenever I can.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 52 comments Cup of tea, and maybe a sneaky packet of sweets. On the sofa, under a blanket and a hot water bottle when it's cold. With a pillow/cushion on my lap to rest the book on.

Although I've been a reader for 30 years or however long I still can't read in bed. I fall asleep every time. If I have to read in my room I have to sit the other way round on top of the duvet with a blanket instead. Odd!

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 52 comments I love the idea of having a pet in your lap. My guinea pigs just don't sit still and they like to eat paper.

They destroyed my copy of The Martian, which is fine as it's dreadful. But I wasn't happy when one got my Illustrated edition of 'Salems Lot!

message 9: by Sal (new)

Sal | 4 comments I will ensure following points to read my horror

1) It should be after midnight.
2) AC should be high or no heater in the fall.
3) Dim lights.
4) Should be on laptop.

message 10: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 5 comments Kicked back on the couch surrounded by my sleeping kitties while my dogs' snores provide background music. Usually in the afternoon when no kids or hubby run through the house spoiling the mood. Today's filled with storm clouds, high winds & steady rain drizzle. Couldn't wish for a better ambience!

message 11: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 677 comments Mod
These are all great! Keep them coming!

message 12: by Chara (new)

Chara | 13 comments Usually in bed, under a comfy blanket, with dim lights and sometimes with a cup of tea. I also like to read during the evening or at night. I enjoy reading horror in winter way more!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) 1. On my couch in the living room - I put on rainymood video on my TV so it sounds like a storm, my fake electric fireplace, turn off the light and put on the reading lamp, and get cozy with a blanket.

2. Bath - I love reading in the bath with the overhead reading light turned on (has two lights), especially with a bubble bath.

3. Bed - Of course reading in bed is nice, although my cat is especially irritating when I try to read there.

I used to like reading on my porch but I have to repair screening and wait for the right weather.

message 14: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 113 comments I'd read it anywhere really. I know I do most of my reading in my room on my bed at night..probably not the best place or time to read horror but eh..I think I'll be alright. I know I once read a horror book in the waiting room of the hospital..it really puts you on edge when you see odd looking people walk through the hallways and hear people coughing..

message 15: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Justin wrote: "I know I once read a horror book in the waiting room of the hospital..it really puts you on edge when you see odd looking people walk through the hallways and hear people coughing.. ..."

You sure wouldn't want to read The Stand there!

message 16: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 113 comments Kandice wrote: "Justin wrote: "I know I once read a horror book in the waiting room of the hospital..it really puts you on edge when you see odd looking people walk through the hallways and hear people coughing.. ..."

Definitely not! lol