The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Readathons > All Hollows Read-a-thon Discussion

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Jenny Clark | 1543 comments Mod
Calling all ghost ghouls and goblins! Join us for a spooktaculer read-a-thon from October 28th to October 31st! Got some spooky stories you need to finish? Been putting off a scary book? Or do you just have a few to finish up? Whatever the case, join us!

message 2: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

I am going to try and finish whatever books I still have to read for this month once the read a thon starts myself.

message 3: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (last edited Oct 21, 2016 02:51PM) (new)

Rosemarie | 3939 comments Mod
I have some books I need to finish as well. Then I plan to make my way through the books on my to read shelf.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan Budd (susanbudd) | 42 comments I finished my reread of Something Wicked This Way Comes earlier than I expected, so I'll have to find another spooky book for Halloween.

message 5: by Margie (new)

Margie I'm going to read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - I've only seen the cartoon :). Then try to get through a few books on my challenge list.

message 6: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4727 comments Mod
I'm in. I'm planning to read Dead Souls by Gogol which sounds creepy but it's supposed to be humorous.

message 7: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Gogol is a master of absurdism, and he's pretty good at it. Enjoy your reads everyone!

message 8: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Dead Souls is a humorous book. The Dead Souls refers to certain serfs, not zombies.

message 9: by Camille (new)

Camille (camillesbookishadventures) | 812 comments I'm not a fan of creepy or horror but I might try and finish "The Raven". I do love a readathon!

message 10: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I am reading The Monk by Matthew Lewis right now. It is one of the books I plan to finish.

message 11: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Camille, The Raven is one of my favorite poems by Poe.
Rosematie, that sounds like an interesting book.
I hope everyone enjoys thier books!

message 12: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

So far the novel has robbers, starcrossed lovers, an evil monk and the ghost of the Bleeding Nun. Just right for Hallowe'en.

message 13: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 384 comments I am in. I have been saving two spooky short stories for Halloween. The Clock That Went Backwards by Edward Page Mitchell and The Whistling Room by William Hope Hodgson

message 14: by Camille (new)

Camille (camillesbookishadventures) | 812 comments Jenny wrote: "Camille, The Raven is one of my favorite poems by Poe.
Rosematie, that sounds like an interesting book.
I hope everyone enjoys thier books!"

I have "The Raven and Other Stories", which was voted as a Monthly Group Reada couple of months ago and I never finished it to discuss! I feel bad about it now!!

message 15: by Ana (new)

Ana | 6 comments I think for this, I might finally finish up The Bone Clocks. I've been putting it off for too long. I'm also considering adding The Book of Hallowe'en by Ruth Edna Kelley as a seasonal tribute.

message 16: by Veronique (new)

Veronique Not sure I'll be able to but if so, I'd like to read Titus Groan

message 17: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 436 comments How is the bone clocks Ana

message 18: by Ana (last edited Oct 23, 2016 08:32AM) (new)

Ana | 6 comments Sonya wrote: "How is the bone clocks Ana"

So far it's very strange and I would say the reader wouldn't necessarily understand what's going on, but that's not a bad thing in this case. It makes you just as confused as the characters are about the bizarre events, so you're able to relate to them better. Aside from the underlying abnormal events, you get a glimpse into the lives of the individuals the narrative follows. In my opinion their portrayals are brilliantly executed to make you really grasp who they are as people, whilst maintaining a sense of plausible realism - you can tell there are people in our everyday life that behave and think this way. On top of that, David Mitchell using typically British terms delights me. I'm currently following the second main character of the book, and from what I read up until this point I would recommend it.

message 19: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I am also going to read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

message 20: by A B (new)

A B (artemisbutterfly) | 1 comments I'm reading anything with a spooky or supernatural theme - or just anything that creeps me out. I currently reading a surprisingly good old book called Kachina by Kathryn Ptacek . It was on display with a "read it just for the cover alone!" theme.

message 21: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) | 1298 comments Mod
I'm in! This will give me that extra push to read Dracula, finally.

message 22: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

One of my other groups is reading Dracula and the comments so far have been favourable. If I finish my other books, I plan on giving it a try too.

message 23: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Dracula is a very good time! Much more that i expected it to be.

message 24: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 56 comments I'm in a mystery/suspense kind of mood, so I'm going to pick up Phantom Evil by Heather Graham. It's paranormal investigation. I also have The Cuckoo's Calling as a crime novel, and Winter as a fantasy read.

Phantom Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #1) by Heather Graham The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer

Hope everyone enjoys what they choose! :)

message 25: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (last edited Oct 28, 2016 07:31AM) (new)

Danielle, I liked Winter alot, you'll have to let me know what you think!

message 26: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 56 comments Jenny wrote: "Danielle, I liked Winter alot, you'll have to let me know what you think!"

I'm really excited to get around to it. I definitely won't finish it by the end of the month, but I got the audiobook from the library so I thought I'd at least start it.

I also started Me Before You. I apparently can't stick to 1 at a time.

message 27: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Nor can I!

message 28: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I'm about halfway through Dead Souls.

message 29: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 384 comments If anyone likes weird science fiction tales, I just finished The Clock That Went Backwards by Edward Page Mitchell. A very interesting story of the past, present and future meshing together. Also got a history lesson on William of Orange

message 30: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 436 comments Halfway through from potters field

message 31: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 198 comments I finally got through The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow. It won a National Book award, but I've had a hard time getting through it. I tried years ago, but I just didn't get through the beginning. It's get better later on, but I didn't enjoy much of it.

message 32: by Camille (new)

Camille (camillesbookishadventures) | 812 comments I've been trying to do some reading, but got sidetracked. My baby has finally managed to nap on his own today instead of on Mommy, so I've been using the time to sew his Christmas stocking and start a Christmas patchwork. Not a good idea for the readathon!!

message 33: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Camille, how old is your little one. My daughter has an almost seven month old little girl who likes to sleep on mommy, and she doesn't have much time to read either.
I am now at the very exciting part of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. I am enjoying it, but not as much as the novels.

message 34: by Camille (new)

Camille (camillesbookishadventures) | 812 comments He's 4 months old. He's attached to my hip 24/7, so I do get time to read when he naps on me, but it's difficult!

message 35: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Camille, adorable!

message 36: by Camille (new)

Camille (camillesbookishadventures) | 812 comments Speaking of adorable and totally off topic but that's a new mum for you haha - my son reached for the book I was reading him yesterday and turned a page on his own. It was so cute! Then he closed the book on my finger and wouldn't let go...

message 37: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Haha! Aww...