Start by marking “Phantom Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Phantom Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #1)

Phantom Evil

(Krewe of Hunters #1)

A secret government unit, a group of renegade paranormal investigators... and a murder no one else can crack.

Though haunted by the recent deaths of two teammates, Jackson Crow knows that the living commit the most heinous crimes.

A police officer utilizing her paranormal intuition, Angela Hawkins already has her hands full of mystery and bloodshed.

But one assignment calls t
Published March 29th 2011 by Mira (first published March 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Phantom Evil, please sign up.
Zana I've read a few different ones before I knew it was a series. There are usually a grouping of the books and you can tell by the names which ones go…moreI've read a few different ones before I knew it was a series. There are usually a grouping of the books and you can tell by the names which ones go together. Each has their own storyline though. (less)

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
What I was after was a lighthearted fun paranormal book, an easy book to read when you are in need of something frivolous after some heavy dark books. What I got was a book that lacked any depth whatsoever. Characters that are not memorable, two main characters that at first doesn't seem to really go along, but end up in bed after a day or two. And, then they have some more sex during the book just because why the hell not. I mean they are working, trying to figure out if a woman was murdered or ...more
Lisa Kay
Bourbon Street sign - note the Mardi Gras beads!

★★★☆ (This is a review of the audiobook.) I like Jeff Cummings’s narration of this one. I’ve heard him before and have had no major complaints; however, I don't think he is quite as creative with the voices this time and his Southern accent is just adequate. *shrugs* He has nice pacing and inflection, but I found myself wondering if he doesn’t switch the voices/accents of the characters a time or two. Being a man with a deep voice, he doesn’t do
Ariel
Nov 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
This is primarily a romance novel. When the two main characters fall into bed within 48 hours of meeting and there are two explicit sex scenes it is easy to see what the focus is on. I wish I had realized Mira is an imprint of Harlequin before I bought it.

I picked this book up for the paranormal mystery that the blurb promises, in post Katrina New Orleans no less. There is upfront an emphasis on the Senator's wife being in a locked and security alarmed house when she supposedly jumps from her ba
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
2.5

Adam Harrison, an investigator who worked for "the government where the government could not act officially", gathered a group of special individuals and formed a team whose task would be to investigate strange cases.
Angela Hawkins, Whitney Tremont, Jake Mallory, Jenna Duffy and Will Chan are part of that team and he called Jackson Crow to lead them. Crow doesn't refuse to believe in supernatural, but he would rather carefully check everything else first. Adam knows that Jackson Crow won't
Keri
I knew if I kept giving HG enough changes that eventually I would find one of her books that I liked. She writes paranormal with romance and that is a winning combination for me. Unfortunately in the past it didn't always work out. Really liked Krewe of Hunters and thought Jackson was a good fit. He came off as arrogant sometimes, but for an alpha male that isn't all bad. I think him and Angela jumped into bed a little quick, but I thought this Krewe was going to span several books, but it looks ...more
The Book Maven
I wanted to like this book, I truly did. It has some great potential: a crew of ghost hunters! Set in New Orleans! But somehow, the author's matter-of-fact rendering of NOLA makes you feel as though you may as well be reading about Peoria, Illinois. Descriptions of scenery and local color are sterile, rather than evocative. The story goes too fast to build up an effective feeling of suspense. And two of the main characters hop into bed pretty quick, when frankly there was very little believable ...more
Theresa
4 Stars... I enjoyed this introduction into the “Krewe Hunter Series”; it read somewhat as if I should be familiar with some of the background to the storyline which makes me wonder if it is a spinoff of another Heather Graham Series??... However, I found myself intrigued by the storyline and the characters as they navigate this cross between the paranormal and real world evils... The author provides an arresting backdrop for the story in New Orleans with such historical significance and turmoil ...more
Kirsten
Dec 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
A good story, but certainly not one of Heather's best. I'll keep with the series, though, since I really like Heather Graham.

Part of my antipathy with this book is that it was set in New Orleans. No offense to New Orleans, but I really don't think the town is a tenth of what people say it is. And, I get really tired of books set in New Orleans that read like part of it is written by the NO Tourist Board.

That being said, I really like the characters in this book. She is very good at mixing supern
Michelle♥
So I saw this in the library under the "Hot Picks/New for May!" banner. And I picked it up. Man am I sorry I did!

Ok, so the prologue really creeped me out. Like that was just plain SCARY! And I am not one for the horror genre at all!

This kind of reminded me a little of The Shining and The Haunting, you know that moviewith Catherine Zeta-Jones? Yeah, totally cheesy, right?

So what actually drew me in was the fact that the federal government sets up this investigation team, like an advanced tech-sa
Carol Storm
Jan 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I really tried to like this book. But I just couldn't get into it! Basically it's like a very long, slow and boring episode of SCOOBY DOO, without the humor and the Scooby Snacks.

The Nicest Ghostbusters in the World go to New Orleans, where there's a house full of Evil. The head ghost is named Melvin C. Neutron, or Milton B. Marshmallow, or something. He murdered a bunch of little kids with an axe back in the 1870's. And over the years, dozens of people have wandered into the house, slipped on
⚜️Trea
I was surprised to find I had a copy of this book when I saw that one of my groups was going to do a group read on it, so I hurriedly squeezed it into my schedule. While I am not much of a Paranormal Romance reader these days, there was enough of a suspense angle to keep me interested in it.

However, I did find some of the book unbelievable. The group meshed together too quickly for me to easily believe it, and likewise Angela and Jackson's relationship moved forward too quickly to be believed. T
Criticalmick
Jan 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
Pheeble!*

The Heather Graham who writes bestsellers may be "The Original Heather Graham," but I am willing to bet that Heather Graham the actress could toast generic white bread with more style and engagement than this sorry excuse for a thriller.

Graham has churned out an average of five novels every years for the past thirty years. How much originality is left? Imagine a high school junior staggering down Bourbon Street. "Gee whiz, I shouldn't have drank those six hand gernades. And all those sh
Anne - Books of My Heart
I got this one through the Audible Romance package. It's one of the reasons I wanted to do the trial. I bought several of these on CD when audiobooks.com sold a bunch at $3-6, earlier this year. I decided I wanted to read this series. Risky when I hadn't listened to any before buying.

But most of the later ones are Luke Daniels narrating so that was a big plus. This was a different narrator who was ok. His female voices were a bit strange. He did do better with the NOLA accents.
Beanse
Oct 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: bloody-bad-books
I read this book but because I had previously read Heather Graham's "Flynn Brothers Triolgy" A series that I truly enjoyed. (Until the very end of the last book. Where it appeared to me that Ms. Graham smoked a fat one and wrote the ending. Not a true story... just a theory.) That part aside, it was fun to read.

Te plot was not interesting at all. The characters are constantly over explaining everything. And the ending was just really terrible.

When I was reading this book, I swear with my right h
K.
Feb 02, 2012 rated it liked it
When I got this home from the library, I noticed that it's published by a division of Harlequin. Oh dear... I read the blurb and was all "Huh. Secret government agency hunting ghosts. Could be interesting." The minute I saw who the publisher was, my estimations went downhill.

But it wasn't as bad as I expected. Sure, there was the obligatory "I've only known you 24 hours but I feel like we're soulmates, let's boff" side to it, which did very little to advance the plot. Also, there's not enough mo
Quenya
Surprisingly good:

I love it when a book pleasantly surprises and this book did it. I enjoyed all the characters in the team of Krewe Hunters and also enjoyed the mystery and how the author brought it all together in the end. I wasn’t sure what to expect from this one and I am glad the author focused on both the paranormal and human side of the world are team gets involved in.

The mystery is great and had plenty twists along the way to keep the listener wondering just how convoluted and tied toget
ShoSho
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: elib, paranormal, x-2017

It could have been much better it was just messy. It needed a lot of editing!
Cass
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, mystery
3,5/5
Carly - Resident Supergirl
I hadn't actually heard of this series until I joined a challenge group and this was proposed as a new series read for the group to all start reading, and I liked the idea of trying out something new that I just hadn't ever considered reading before. Paranormal ghost story/detective whodunnit/romance/set in New Orleans...sounded like a good ride! And it was...partially.

description

There were a lot of really good moments in this book and I thoroughly enjoyed picturing the New Orleans backdrops that were eloq
AG Reads
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rom-sus
This is the 3rd book I read by this author. While it was not a bad read, the romance in all three takes too much of a backseat to everything else. I like the romance to be at least equal to the suspense storyline, and that doesn't happen in her books. The two main characters barely even spend any page time together.

I tried three different books because this author is so popular, but she's just not for me.
Marlene
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Reading Reality

After reading The Hexed last week, and loving it, I couldn’t resist going back to the beginning of this series and trying to figure out how the author got here from there.

Besides, I’m a terrible completist and it was driving me a bit nuts that I had so much fun with book 13 in a series and hadn’t gotten around to books 1-12. Now that I’ve read book 1, I can see that this series is going to be my “treat” reading for a while.

Phantom Evil is the first book in
Trina
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
3.5**

A little romance, a little mystery, a lot of plot twist. I like it...
Jeff Barber
Jan 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012
I hate to not like a piece of art, whether it be a book, a painting, or music. But sometimes, the art just doesn't touch me. Or worse, the piece will feel contrived, or mundane, or even feel like the artist didn't put a lot of effort into it.
I'm not going to blame Heather Graham of not putting effort into this book, but I will say that it didn't really ever grab me. From the start we get some interesting characters, but sadly, the more we learn about them the less interesting they become.
We hav
Bonnie

Phantom Evil is the first in a new series by Heather Graham; the Krewe of Hunters.

The Storyline
When the Louisiana state Senator’s wife is found dead after an apparent suicide, her husband requests a closer investigation of sorts when he suspects that ghosts were involved in her death. Jackson Crow heads the paranormal investigation team which consists of him and 6 other members who each have their own psychic abilities. The investigation seems to show that the Senators wife didn’t in fa
Becky ♡The Bookworm♡
This was an interesting paranormal romance/murder mystery about the unsolved murder of a Senator's wife. I've always found New Orleans a fabulous setting for mysteries and especially stories containing supernatural elements. Unfortunately, I found the execution of Phantom Evil to be rather sloppy and difficult to follow.

There were certain aspects of the book that I enjoyed, such as Angela's ability to speak with the ghosts and their willingness to aide her in the investigation. I just felt like
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars rounded up...

I enjoyed this first book in the Krewe of Hunters Series. I did think the first part of the book which introduced the team and the current case was a bit slow and plodding and at first I had my doubts if I would enjoyed it.

It picked up steam more around the half way point and I started to get pulled into the plot and the characters. The team itself looks to be a good set of characters although the only ones you really get to know are the team leader, Jackson and Angela who
Cynthia
Apr 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Pass the beignets and latte please.

This a light hearted book about a grim topic…..murder. Jackson Crow heads a team of uniquely talented paranormal investigators. They head to New Orleans to solve the murder of a local senator’s wife. The local police have ruled her tumble from the upstairs balcony of their reportedly ghost infested mansion a suicide sighting her grief over the recent death of her young son. There is also a love story between Jackson and his co-worker Angela.

The book is enterta
Oleander
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it
The introduction of characters and world building was very long. I was ready for some action. There wasn't a lot of action but the mystery got so thick and deep I was intrigued and couldn't put it down. There are some writing errors where stories were repeated...Jackson's childhood experience was retold at least 3 times in the book, but over all it was a good story. I'm willing to give book 2 a shot. I think the series has a lot of potential. Hopefully, the editing will be tighter next time out.
Gawelleb
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J'ai beaucoup beaucoup beaucoup aimé!
On suit la mise en place d'une équipe du FBI chargé d'élucider les affaires entourées de paranormal. Ici, une mort non élucidée dans une maison hantée.
C'est un mélange Criminel minds et "les chemins de l'étrange" pour celles qui connaissent. La romance est anecdotique, j'ai préféré l'esprit d'équipe qui commence à se dessiner.
Kyla Zerbes
Aug 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Light beach type read. Romance was a little quick but I enjoyed the paranormal aspect so will try a second.
  • Eyes Of Fire
  • Beneath A Blood Red Moon (Alliance Vampires #1)
  • Draycott Everlasting: Christmas Knight & Moonrise (Draycott Abbey #7.5 & 6)
  • The Prophet (Graveyard Queen, #3)
  • Blackout
  • Bogeyman
  • The Belly of the Beast (The Graveyard: Classified Paranormal Series Book 3)
  • Dead and Kicking (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #3)
  • Cold Touch (Extrasensory Agents, #2)
  • Death Takes a Holiday (F.R.E.A.K.S. Squad Investigation, #3)
  • Haven (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #13)
  • Undercover Lover (Covert Attractions, #2)
  • A Harvest of Bones (A Chintz 'n China Mystery, #4)
  • Out of Sight (Court of Angels #3)
  • Love on the Range
Also published as Heather Graham Pozzessere and Shannon Drake.

New York Times and USA Today best-selling author Heather Graham majored in theater arts at the University of South Florida. After a stint of several years in dinner theater, back-up vocals, and bartending, she stayed home after the birth of her third child and began to write, working on short horror stories and romances. After some tria

Krewe of Hunters (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Heart of Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #2)
  • Sacred Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #3)
  • The Evil Inside (Krewe of Hunters, #4)
  • The Unseen (Krewe of Hunters, #5)
  • The Unholy (Krewe of Hunters, #6)
  • The Unspoken (Krewe of Hunters, #7)
  • The Uninvited (Krewe of Hunters, #8)
  • The Night Is Watching (Krewe of Hunters, #9)
  • The Night Is Alive (Krewe of Hunters, #10)
  • The Night Is Forever (Krewe of Hunters, #11)
“I believe that there's more to life than what we see.” 7 likes