You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > We're Off to See the Wizard

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by jaxnsmom (last edited Oct 20, 2016 09:07PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments  photo oz bookcover_zpsicumyfgo.jpg
The Wizard of Oz is a book by L. Frank Baum

The Toppler will be noon Saturday, October 22nd, to noon Saturday, October 29th, EDT. I'm sure someone can help with time conversion, I'd just confuse you.

photo oz movie poster_zpsnhu6uxha.jpeg
The book was made into a movie and was nominated for six Academy Awards, including Best Picture, but lost to Gone with the Wind.
Read a book that was made into a movie.

photo oz family_zpsiccoeisj.jpg
The Wizard of Oz is a 1939 American musical comedy-drama fantasy film.
Read a book that takes place between 1900 and 1950.

photo oz cast_zpsddwrigxz.jpg
The 1956 broadcast television premiere of the film on CBS reintroduced the film to the wider public and eventually made the presentation an annual tradition, making it one of the best known films in movie history.
Read a classic.

message 2: by jaxnsmom (last edited Oct 20, 2016 07:18PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Characters
 photo oz dorothy_zps3eje0uow.jpg
Dorothy Gale
Read a YA book.

photo oz toto2_zpsxvohd2yh.jpg
Toto
Read a book with a 'common' animal as a main or secondary character. (dog, cat, rabbit, duck, horse, pig, etc)

photo oz scarecrow2_zpsjcjipmqq.jpg
Scarecrow
He lacks a brain – read a book where someone is a student (any recognized level of school) OR
He is only two days old and merely ignorant – read a children’s book.

photo oz tinman_zps1xpgxvjh.jpg
Tin Man
He lacks a heart - read a romance OR
Read a book with a robot, android, or some type of artificial intelligence.

photo oz cowardly lion_zpsvsubaks2.jpg
Cowardly Lion
Read a book with a wild animal that has the courage to show up on the cover.

photo oz glinda_zpstjax0pmi.jpg
Glinda the Good Witch of the North
Read a book with a glittery cover, or with stars or a crown on the cover.

photo oz ww_zpsmr5ojgvc.jpg
The Wicked Witch of the West
Read a horror book.

Flying Monkeys
I really want to be a flying monkey for Halloween, but have too much other stuff to deal with. So, this one is a freebie. Each team will be able to use this task only twice.

photo oz auntie em_zps4to52j50.jpg
Auntie Em, Uncle Henry, and Miss Gulch
Read a book about a family.

The Wizard
Read a book with a wizard, magician, or confidence man as a main character.

Munchkins
Read a book of short stories or a novella.

message 3: by jaxnsmom (last edited Oct 20, 2016 09:08PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Song and Miscellaneous

"Over the Rainbow" - Read a GLBT book
"Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead" – Read an mystery book
"Follow the Yellow Brick Road/You're Off to See the Wizard" – Read a fantasy book
"If I Only Had a Brain" – Read a nonfiction book
"We're Off to See the Wizard" – Read a sci fi book
"If I Only Had a Heart" – Read an erotica book
"If I Only Had the Nerve" – read a genre you rarely read
"The Merry Old Land of Oz" – Read a book that takes place before 1800
"If I Were King of the Forest" – Read a book with a person of royalty as a main or secondary character

I’ll get you my pretty, and your little dog too
Read an action/thriller book

Ruby Slippers
Read a book with a pair of shoes on the cover.

Each book read will be worth 10 points.

Extra points
5 extra points if the book is The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
5 extra points if the MC is named Dorothy.
5 extra points if the book is Halloween related.
5 extra points is the shoes are red.

The Toppler will be noon Saturday, October 22nd, to noon Saturday, October 29th, EDT. I'm sure someone can help with time conversion, I'd just confuse you.

A few rules:
1. Books must be started and finished in this time period to qualify.
2. You may read any format - paperback, hardcover, ebook, or audiobook. For the last two use the page numbers on the first edition that comes up on the GR page.
3. Each book must be at least 150 pages.

message 4: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments reserved

message 5: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Too weird! Coming up on the news - Dorothy's ruby slippers at the Smithsonian need conservation work for $300,000.00 I saw the slippers there years ago and have a picture of them somewhere.

message 6: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Sorry this is taking so long. Besides messing my mind up by thinking I should post the Toppler on the 22nd, I'm going insane. RIF stuff, retirement paperwork, unemployment income paperwork, health care research after I found out COBRA would cost $700 a month - and that's just the job loss related crap.

The good thing - I probably won't get much reading done on the 29th. The WV Book Festival is that weekend and there are several authors I would like to see. Stephen Coonts, a presentation of Weird and Wonderful: West Virginia's Unique
Contributions to Sci-Fi Culture, and FREAKING PATRICK ROTHFUSS! I can't wait.

message 7: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments grumble, &^#$ photobucket, ^&%#*& photobucket totally screwed up my computer. I'll fix images and add more tasks tomorrow. You'll probably be able to fit most books in somewhere.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments It looks great so far, Jmom. Please try not to stress out about this too much, particularly as you have a lot to deal with right now. You are doing are a fantastic job of organising it as always and we all really appreciate it :)

message 9: by Lisa (last edited Oct 19, 2016 03:28AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "and FREAKING PATRICK ROTHFUSS! I can't wait."

Ooh, maybe Patrick Rothfuss will have some news about the publication date of the final 'Kingkiller Chronicles' book... Fingers crossed, the wait is killing me!

message 10: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Don't stress about the pictures, Jmom. We can totally figure out what's needed. :)

message 11: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16859 comments Heaps to gopher on. Take your time, and sort out more important things!

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13224 comments No worries, jaxnsmom! It looks great so far. :)

Sound like a great book festival. I haven't been to any this year.

message 13: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments That's plenty to go on so far J'mom. We're a patient lot so whenever you're ready. I am very jealous about the book festival, in particular Patrick Rothfuss being there. I was going to be going to a Joe Hill signing on Friday but my parents are now coming up to go out for a meal :-(

message 14: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47966 comments Woohoo! The gophering has begun. Thanks j'mom and don't fret the small stuff.

If you are snagging images straight off the internet without editing them, it might be easier to use the html coding in the link above:

< img src="website" / > Remove the spaces.

That way you circumvent photobucket.

message 15: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments Sarah wrote: "That's plenty to go on so far J'mom. We're a patient lot so whenever you're ready. I am very jealous about the book festival, in particular Patrick Rothfuss being there. I was going to be going to ..."

Patient is not something I typically use to describe this group when it comes to toppler and challenge information. LOL. But, in special situations where real life gets in the way, it is a totally understanding group that won't get pushy. ;)

The challenge looks great, Jmom. I'll be gophering soon, I'm sure!

message 16: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Couldn't resist this one :)

photo oz toto-africa_zpsui2f5837.jpg

message 17: by Almeta (last edited Oct 19, 2016 11:08AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10088 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Couldn't resist this one :"

ROFL!

Toto-ly appropriate!

message 18: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments We have more than enough to start gophering. Please don't stress, Jaxnsmom. Everything looks amazing! : )

message 19: by jaxnsmom (last edited Oct 20, 2016 06:53PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments There's a small change to Toto.
Read a book with a 'common' animal as a main or secondary character. (dog, cat, rabbit, duck, horse, pig, etc)

message 20: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I think everything is posted, but I'm sure I've forgotten something.

Now go do some more gophering!

message 21: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47966 comments So many options! Great tasks, j'mom.

message 22: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1640 comments I'm excited to get started! Thanks for making this so much fun, jaxnsmom!

For clarification, The Toppler will be noon Saturday, October 22nd, to noon Sunday, October 29th, EDT.

That should read Saturday October 29th, correct?

message 23: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Oh drat. I copied it and didn't realize it was wrong (I didn't notice during that Toppler either). Off to change it now :)

message 24: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1977 comments When will the teams be annouced? I'm leaving for Helsinki with my daughter this afternoon and will be back on Sunday around noon. I'll be able to read the posts but writing with my phone is a pain.

message 25: by jaxnsmom (last edited Oct 20, 2016 10:26PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Teams will be chosen tomorrow night (Friday). If you plan on reading/listening to a book while you're gone, don't worry which team you're on, just pick a task.

Have fun in Helsinki!

message 26: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1977 comments Great, thanks Jmom!

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Have a great time in Helsinki, Camilla!

message 28: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments Enjoy Helsinki Camilla!

Been gophering a bit more now with the new tasks posted. I have more than enough options. Now I just need to wait to see what I fancy reading.

message 29: by Almeta (new)

message 30: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1977 comments I managed to do some gophering as well and have at least three suitable books on my kindle waiting for Saturday.

message 31: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13224 comments I have more books that fit than I can possibly read! I'm still not sure where I'm going to start, but I'm looking forward to seeing how many I can get through. For today, I need to try to finish up the books I'm currently reading in preparation.

message 32: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16859 comments Just making sure, teams can read a task as many time as they like? As in there is no restrictions on how many times a team reads a task?

message 33: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10088 comments Rusalka wrote: "Just making sure, teams can read a task as many time as they like? As in there is no restrictions on how many times a team reads a task?"

I think that is correct....EXCEPT for the Freebie Flying Monkey task.

message 34: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Rusalka wrote: "Just making sure, teams can read a task as many time as they like? As in there is no restrictions on how many times a team reads a task?"

Almeta's right. I remembered I should have stated that at about 3 am, but decided to stay in bed :)

message 35: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments Oh wow, I just realized this starts tomorrow! I was thinking it was next week. Geez, October is flying by just as quickly as September did!

I have not gophered at all, but I feel confident I have plenty of options on my TBR.

I'm going to a Halloween party tomorrow night though, so I might not get much reading done until Sunday.

message 36: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3082 comments I'm trying to remember, can I use books I want to read for the year-long challenge for the marathon?

message 37: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments Yes Lanelle. Everything goes for the toppler.

message 38: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3082 comments Sarah wrote: "Yes Lanelle. Everything goes for the toppler."

Cool. Thanks, Sarah.

message 39: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments I can resist. I tried, but I failed. I'm going to participate... (I have TONS of work to do...)
*off to the Toppler Sign-up*

message 40: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments I see the teams are up. Yea! I have a work thing until noon tomorrow, so won't get a start right away :-(. And I have to grade papers this weekend! Too bad that reading doesn't count ;-)

I'm looking forward to chatting and reading with everyone, but especially Team A!

message 41: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Mariab wrote: "I can resist. I tried, but I failed. I'm going to participate... (I have TONS of work to do...)
*off to the Toppler Sign-up*"

Don't worry - even one book will help your team.

message 42: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments For read a fantasy book, does urban fantasy count

message 43: by Annette (new)

Annette Olsen | 205 comments If a book fulfills more than one task does it count as more than one task, or do we need to choose which task it will count for?

message 44: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments Generally books can only be awarded points the once so I guess we choose which task we want it to count for. But J'mom is the one in the know so best wait for her confirmation.

message 45: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "For read a fantasy book, does urban fantasy count"

Yes, according to this:
Urban fantasy is a subgenre of fantasy defined by place; the fantastic narrative has an urban setting. Urban fantasy exists on one side of a spectrum, opposite high fantasy, which is set in an entirely fictitious world.

message 46: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Annette wrote: "If a book fulfills more than one task does it count as more than one task, or do we need to choose which task it will count for?"

It can only count towards one task, so you'll choose which one.

message 47: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Beware of Team Be a Flying Monkey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SESI1...

message 48: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47966 comments LOL!

message 49: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I have a question. A character in my book dressed up for Halloween and wore one red sneaker and one blue. Would I get an additional 5 points for the red sneaker?

message 50: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments The shoes have to be on the cover, and both would need to be red.

« previous 1

You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (other topics)