Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Volume Number

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6662 comments What is the policy on Volume Numbers in the title?

Should it be
Ange Pitou, Volume II
OR
Ange Pitou

I see it most commonly without the parentheses, so I think that is correct. Still, I'd like to have it verified.

message 2: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 20172 comments It is in the manual: https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/2...

See 'Series' and 'omnibus/boxed set editions'
Multiple examples of
Title, Volume X

message 3: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13730 comments Elizabeth's example is not really a series though, just a book published in two (or more) parts. It doesn't make much difference, but for the French edition I would put the title as
Ange Pitou: tome II
or
Ange Pitou. Tome II

(Different rules for different languages.)

message 4: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 20172 comments lethe wrote: "Elizabeth's example is not really a series though, just a book published in two (or more) parts. It doesn't make much difference, but for the French edition I would put the title as
Ange Pitou: tom..."

Agreed there is not a specific example about a book published in parts. In both parts of the manual I mentioned there are multiple examples of books with Volume in the title. None of these have parentheses.

message 5: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13730 comments I agree, the parentheses have to go. There would otherwise be many series called 'Volume' :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6662 comments Thanks. I thought that was the case. Sometimes I just need to check in to make sure I'm still thinking in the right direction.

message 7: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments The other danger is autocombine ignores anything in parentheses, and putting the volume information that way is the main reason multivolume books all end up combined together.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42436 comments Mod
Krazykiwi wrote: "The other danger is autocombine ignores anything in parentheses, and putting the volume information that way is the main reason multivolume books all end up combined together."

This would be my primary concern with using parentheses in such cases.