What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Sci-fi, possibly YA. Read around 1998. Earth is overpopulated and no one can get a job. Young man gets a job in space. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (viscumin) | 5 comments I read this book in high school. I think it a YA sci-fi book. It starts with the male protagonist in school. The students are all on high tech tablets ( I think). He isn't a great student and because of that he knows that when he graduates he won't be able to get a job and he'll be one of the angry, unemployed masses. But then he gets a job offer in space. It's very dangerous work but he goes anyway. I think he ends up finding his calling in space as an asteroid miner (maybe....) and ends up happy.

Thanks for any help! I would really like to read this again.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (viscumin) | 5 comments I read it around 1998 or 1999.

Justanotherbiblophile | 1729 comments Higher Education

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_...

Which, iirc, is a re-write/update of an older novel.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (viscumin) | 5 comments That is the book!! Thank you so much!

message 5: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Oct 16, 2016 01:44AM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1729 comments You can mark this request as solved by clicking the 'edit' link next to the subject line / title, and then selecting one of the "Solved" folders. This will help save our moderators some time.

You should also change the subject line / title to start "SOLVED: [then your existing title]" which helps people still find your request later.

Solved requests are almost as important as unsolved requests (eg, so don't delete your info :D Otherwise it looks like this, which completely doesn't show how you generated *so* much interest for your book). The requests continue to exist in the archive, and people looking for your book end up on that page via search engine because of your description/keywords - which improves the whole world :)

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (viscumin) | 5 comments I'll make sure to do that next time. Thanks.