Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

Vegan Cookbooks > Easy Vegan Cookbook Recommendations ??

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (last edited Oct 14, 2016 07:22PM) (new)

Amanda | 1 comments I need some Vegan Cookbook Recommendations. I am just staring to cook, and so far with little success. I want to eat more plant based and healthier in general. I don't really like to cook or spend a lot of time in the kitchen. My ideal recipes would take no longer than 15-45 minutes. I would appreciate books that have quick, easy, and delicious recipes. Aslo I am eating alone, and don't like a lot of leftovers. Thanks in advance

message 2: by K.N. (new)

K.N. (karmaplace) Oh She Glows, Minimalist Baker, and Forks Over Knives were all relatively disappointing to me because they seemed more basic and beginner-friendly than I wanted (I have moved on to challenges).

I also think But I Could Never Go Vegan! is both good for beginners and had a lot of recipes that I liked too.

message 3: by Renee (new)

Renee Thompson (reneethompson) | 65 comments Amanda wrote: "I need some Vegan Cookbook Recommendations. I am just staring to cook, and so far with little success. I want to eat more plant based and healthier in general. I don't really like to cook or spend ..."

I like the books written by Lindsay Nixon, The Happy Herbivore - she specializes in very simple recipes. She also has some cooking demonstrations on YouTube.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 3 comments I'm going through Oy Vey Vegan - Vegan Cuisine with a Mediterranean Flare, which promises very simple recipes but with whole ingredients for beginners. I'm already accustomed to vegan cooking, but not vegan baking. I'm excited to try the pumpkin pancake recipe.

message 5: by Renee (new)

Renee Thompson (reneethompson) | 65 comments Lauren wrote: "I'm going through Oy Vey Vegan - Vegan Cuisine with a Mediterranean Flare, which promises very simple recipes but with whole ingredients for beginners. I'm already accustomed to veg..."

Lauren, I hadn't heard of the "Oh Vey Vegan" book. I'll check it out!

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 3 comments Renee wrote: "Lauren wrote: "I'm going through Oy Vey Vegan - Vegan Cuisine with a Mediterranean Flare, which promises very simple recipes but with whole ingredients for beginners. I'm already ac..."
It came out late last year. The author, Estee Raviv, also has a blog with some of her recipes if you want an idea of what's in
Oy Vey Vegan - Vegan Cuisine with a Mediterranean Flare.

https://www.esteeskitchen.com/blog/

message 7: by Renee (new)

Renee Thompson (reneethompson) | 65 comments Lauren wrote: "Renee wrote: "Lauren wrote: "I'm going through Oy Vey Vegan - Vegan Cuisine with a Mediterranean Flare, which promises very simple recipes but with whole ingredients for beginners. ..."

Thank you, Lauren! I'll bring up those blogs right now!

message 8: by LJean (new)

LJean | 24 comments I see that this an old thread, but I thought I'd just post here because Amazon has two of my favorite quick-and-easy books marked way down at the moment: Keep it Vegan ($5.06) and The New Vegan ($3.35), both by Aine Carlin.

I find myself going back to these books over and over when I'm looking for something fast and basic, but not blah.

message 9: by Renee (new)

Renee Thompson (reneethompson) | 65 comments LJean wrote: "I see that this an old thread, but I thought I'd just post here because Amazon has two of my favorite quick-and-easy books marked way down at the moment: Keep it Vegan ($5.06) and [..."

LJean - thank you for those suggestions! I hadn't heard of those either!

message 10: by LJean (new)

LJean | 24 comments I just looked and The New Vegan has gone up to $12.20, but Keep it Vegan is down to $4.82. If you have any questions, ask away. I have both of them sitting here.

message 11: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana (antoniabird) | 43 comments My big issue with the vegan books is the heroic amount of pre-prep prep and ingredients.
I like the thug kitchen books for beginners because they are clear. I loved 'greek vegetarian' (sorry, on my phone so links are a drag), which is mostly plant based. Those recipes are really easy.
I liked happy herbivore, but found it a touch bland. I'm trying out Deliciously Ella, but it's very focused on smoothies, which I do not find satisfying as a meal. My brain doesn't identify smoothies as food, so...
I'm going to continue following this thread because so much comes out that is mediocre!!!

message 12: by LJean (new)

LJean | 24 comments Tatjana, have you tried Minimalist Baker's Everyday Cooking: 101 Entirely Plant-based, Mostly Gluten-Free, Easy and Delicious Recipes? The recipes aren't the most exciting, but the premise of the book is that the majority of the recipes have ten or fewer ingredients and require no more than thirty minutes to make.

message 13: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana (antoniabird) | 43 comments LJean wrote: "Tatjana, have you tried Minimalist Baker's Everyday Cooking: 101 Entirely Plant-based, Mostly Gluten-Free, Easy and Delicious Recipes? The recipes aren't the most exciting, but the ..."

I have not tried it.... but I just requested it through my library! It looks great. Exciting isn't as important as delicious in my house. If I get to make it through the work week, I'm going to call it exciting!!! :D
Thanks!

message 14: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana (antoniabird) | 43 comments Don wrote: "I'm finding my go-to book lately for quick, uncomplicated and healthy recipes is "Forks Over Knives The Cookbook""

I should give that one another chance. I was a little underwhelmed... but it was winter and the ingredients were hard to come by up here in the rural north country! :D

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan Laverty | 51 comments I use the Happy Herbivore books when I want something fast and easy. I especially use the Light & Lean and Abroad books. The recipes don't require a lot of ingredients and they are ones I'm likely to have on hand. I was reluctant to try some of the recipes at first, but my husband always seemed to like them, so now they're my go-to when I'm stuck. You could always add more seasoning.

message 16: by LJean (new)

LJean | 24 comments I bought a new book today, 15-Minute Vegan, which appears to fit the fast-and-easy bill without being dull. I haven't had a chance to give it a good look yet but what I've seen so far looks wonderful. I love that it's very fresh vegetable and bean-centric rather than relying on the shortcut ingredients that sometimes find a place in recipes that promise short prep-times.

I'll report back when I've made something, but for now, I'm really excited about this one!