The Official Jane Austen Book Club discussion

Pride & Prejudice > The Relationships

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessie (new)

Jessie Steele (jsteele) | 5 comments Good morning guys!
Where are we in reading? Is everyone enjoying it? Any burning questions about societal customs we explore in the book? ( I know I was very confused about strangers being allowed to tour a house in the later chapters!)

This week's discussion theme is going to be on the relationships! We have several to look at- Jane and Bingley, Liz and Darcy, Mr and Mrs. Bennett, Mr. Collins and Charlotte, and for some of us- Liz and Willoughby.

How do you think they compare with each other- which couple is your favorite and why?

And WHAT do we think of Mr. Collins and Charlotte Lucas?!

Have a great week guys, and happy reading!

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily Mutti (emilymutti) | 5 comments To me, absolutely Liz and Darcy: made for each other.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Emily wrote: "To me, absolutely Liz and Darcy: made for each other."

agree. I love them together. Even though he is insulting when he confesses his love for her.

Charlotte only married Mr. Collins to give her peace of mind. He was well off and she thought she wouldn't get any better. Plus she was heading to spinsterhood.

message 4: by Madeline (last edited Sep 23, 2020 08:09PM) (new)

Madeline Osigian | 47 comments Mod
Mary and Mr. Collins -- I dislike both of them but think they would have been really happy together. In the Kiera Knightley movie, there are multiple occasions where they hinted at Mary liking Mr. Collins. Obviously, I ship the main characters way harder, but I think Mary and Mr. Collins are a literary couple that should have been.

Literary Couples that Never Were (And Why They Should Have Been)
http://thelittledecorator.blogspot.co...

message 5: by Jessie (new)

Jessie Steele (jsteele) | 5 comments Emily wrote: "To me, absolutely Liz and Darcy: made for each other."

I totally agree- they are in so much L O V E, I can't stand it.

message 6: by Jessie (new)

Jessie Steele (jsteele) | 5 comments Alex Farrand wrote: "Emily wrote: "To me, absolutely Liz and Darcy: made for each other."

agree. I love them together. Even though he is insulting when he confesses his love for her.

Charlotte only married Mr. Collin..."

i always loved the line about her sitting room thats especially hers....almost like she's hiding from Mr. Collins!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

that is funny. I wish I had my own room so I could hide.

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily Mutti (emilymutti) | 5 comments Jessie wrote: "Emily wrote: "To me, absolutely Liz and Darcy: made for each other."

I totally agree- they are in so much L O V E, I can't stand it."

True! :)

About Collins and Charlotte, I think she deserves someone better... and I think Elizabeth will agree with me hahaha.

message 9: by Bethany (new)

Bethany (bethanycathrynrose) | 9 comments Madeline wrote: "Mary and Mr. Collins -- I dislike both of them but think they would have been really happy together. In the Kiera Knightley movie, there are multiple occasions where they hinted the Mary loved Mr. ..."

Yes, I noticed that too, in the 2005 movie. I really hoped they would get married, they are so much like each other!

message 10: by Trix (new)

Trix Wilkins (marchandlaurence) | 2 comments Wow I've never heard of Elizabeth and Willoughby! I admit I will be an Elizabeth Darcy fan forever. Nobody holds a candle to Darcy for Elizabeth. Possibly Mr Knightley. He seems to be a close intellectual equal and the sort of serious person she enjoys teasing.

Charlotte married for provision and she reasoned Mr Collins would not be the sort of man to abuse or manipulate her, as he doesn't have the intellectual capacity or inclination to. And given the ease with which she can get him to spend time in his garden, seems more of an annoying roommate situation.

An aside: Wish Austen had written a sequel in which Elizabeth and Darcy go on a trip with Charlotte and Mr Collins, and they are stranded together. Like in that episode of Frasier with everyone sharing the cabin, all sorts of hilarity and misunderstandings then ensue...

message 11: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Brock | 4 comments I love the Elizabeth and Darcy love story, but I myself am more of a Jane. And as Jane I prefer a Bingley type. Happy, amiable, and none of that complicated brooding drama. Jane and Bingley are my favorite couple!

message 12: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Brock | 4 comments Jessie wrote: "Good morning guys!
Where are we in reading? Is everyone enjoying it? Any burning questions about societal customs we explore in the book? ( I know I was very confused about strangers being allowed ..."

I'm curious about why you put Elizabeth and Willoughby together? WIlloughby seems to be a selfish rogue. Is there some fan fiction I've missed that puts them together?

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily Mutti (emilymutti) | 5 comments Alex Farrand wrote: "Emily wrote: "To me, absolutely Liz and Darcy: made for each other."

Charlotte only married Mr. Collin..."

I agree with you! :)

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily Mutti (emilymutti) | 5 comments Madeline wrote: "I love the Elizabeth and Darcy love story, but I myself am more of a Jane. And as Jane I prefer a Bingley type. Happy, amiable, and none of that complicated brooding drama. Jane and Bingley are my ..."

True. Lizzy and Darcy are my favorite forever, but I have to admit that Jane and Bingley are the most cute couple I have seen. I like much more Jane and Bingley from the version movie of 2005. They have chemistry. What do you think?

message 15: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 5 comments Lizzy and Darcy are the BEST!!! Jane and Bingley are gr8 too. Mr. Bennett...well, you gotta feel bad for the poor guy. Charlotte, judging her character, was okay with Collins. All she wanted was security. I love how Elizabeth and Darcy match up their wits so well - neither can fully outdo the other - most of the time.

message 16: by Maddie (new)

Maddie Crawford | 5 comments Hello, so my thoughts about the relationships in P&P:
Mr. Collins and Charlotte~ so sad, Mary and Mr. Collins would have been perfect, she loved him and looked up to him for his foibles, she loved sermons and soft music and his kind of conversation. Charlotte gave up love and partnership in marriage for awkward conversations and hiding in her sitting room.

message 17: by Pauline (last edited Feb 08, 2017 09:01AM) (new)

Pauline | 1 comments I think Charlotte is more like "the normal girl" for the time. We need to bear in mind that Elizabeth is the lucky and the daring one here. Marrying and being in love were two different things at that time. And that's exactly what Mrs. Benett assumes...she doesn't need her girls to be in love, she needs them to be financially safe and set for their future! I totally understand Charlotte from that point of view. Mr. Collins can be dealt with, he has good fortune and his heart in the right place.

To me the best relationship in this book is -big surprise- between Elizabeth and Darcy. I like it a lot how they keep noticing each other, thinking about each other, even before anything really starts. Lizzy doesn't hate him half as much as she believes to. They are drawn to each other despite themselves, losing all control over common courtesy and good sense. And that makes it a fantastic novel.

I also like the relationship between Mr. and Mrs. Benett. They keep bickering at each other, and it seems like Mr. Benett takes his wife for a total idiot. However, it is in reality the exact reverse, and he knows it.

Is it only me or was Miss Bingley once refused by Darcy? Also an interesting couple...

message 18: by Maddie (new)

Maddie Crawford | 5 comments I also love the relationship between Jane and Bingley, Jane is content, calm and in control of herself and her emotions, Bingley is happy, full of gusto and quickly approving. They both have optimism and a desire to see the best in others. This draws them to each other, from the first time they meet. Jane in introverted.
Bingley is extroverted. They both balance and help each other to become better - together.

message 19: by Maddie (new)

Maddie Crawford | 5 comments Lizzie and Darcy are such a good pair for so many reasons.
But it's their realist approach to life that make them so different and slow to realize their love than Jane and Bingley. They know life isn't all daisy chains and sunshine, and their wit and banter demonstrates this perfectly. Both see flaws of others easily, and therefore can not pretend that situations are better than they are. Darcy knows that Elisabeth's family is the worst for a social connection. She is prejudiced against those who don't see eye to eye with her, he is pridefully aloof from those he doesn't have an intimate acquaintance. She notices that he is sarcastic and unable to join the general pleasantries of social convention. (She also does these two things constantly throughout the book, which is so amusing! :D)
In actuality, they have so much in common, their honesty, love of art, love of home, love of reading, close love of their sisters, enjoyment of outside, sense of humor and wit, and their willingness to help right desperate wrongs no matter the cost!
What I enjoy most about their relationship, is the growth they both struggle toward as they learn of their faults from the other. They both bend over backwards for each other to prove that they can change, and will be different! Love is action and this story is about two people who will do whatever they can to become more lovely for the one they love.

message 20: by Maddie (new)

Maddie Crawford | 5 comments And I agree, Pauline!
Charlotte is the normal girl who decides what's important to her. You're absolutely right!! :) and good point about Mrs. Bennet, she was only thinking of her girls' safety and security! Never thought of it that way before!

message 21: by Madeline (new)

I've always thought Pride & Prejudice was so similar to Beauty and the Beast. With the new Disney film coming out, I couldn't help but write this post comparing the two stories: http://thelittledecorator.blogspot.co...

Enjoy!

Madeline Osigian
Creator & Moderator | The Official Jane Austen Book Club
http://thelittledecorator.blogspot.com/

message 22: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 5 comments Wow! That was neat! And I love your blog! :)

message 23: by Madeline (new)

Veronica wrote: "Wow! That was neat! And I love your blog! :)"

Thank you so much! I hope you stick around for some beautiful inspiration!

Madeline Osigian
Creator & Moderator | The Official Jane Austen Book Club
http://thelittledecorator.blogspot.com/

message 24: by Lillystn (new)

Lillystn | 4 comments Hi people,

I'm new. Druing the lockdown I've now fallen in love with 19th century novels and currently read pride & prejudice. I absolutely love it and am sad not to have read it before. I love the dialogues in which Elizabeth takes part, especially between her and Darcy because it's a kind of back and forth that makes it so exciting.

I was wondering, though, what the "etc." at the end of the letters mean.

And to Collins and Charlotte: I like Charlotte she is reasonable and a kind of "steady" friend, if you now what I mean. It was good for her to have married Collins and I believe he could not have found a better wife. Btw I absolutely love that guy. The subtlety of his stupidity makes the book so much more enjoyable.

👋🏼👐🏼

message 25: by Lillystn (new)

Lillystn | 4 comments Maddie wrote: "I also love the relationship between Jane and Bingley, Jane is content, calm and in control of herself and her emotions, Bingley is happy, full of gusto and quickly approving. They both have optimi..."

I love them together, too and I could not agree more. This depiction of love is beautiful In a real kind of way. But I have to say that i didn't know what to think of Darcy changing or behaving differently for her so much.

Also: Jane annoys me sometimes with her "all people are good even if proven differently" - she seems naive often and it exhausts.

message 26: by Anna (new)

Anna | 5 comments Lily wrote: "Hi people,

I'm new. Druing the lockdown I've now fallen in love with 19th century novels and currently read pride & prejudice. I absolutely love it and am sad not to have read it before. I love t..."

Hi Lily!
I'm so glad you discovered the joys of Jane Austen! I too love Mr. Collins, he's a wonderfully drawn comedic character!

I think either ect. is used as a way of signing off letters because the person's name is included on the return address. Or, it's a device used by Austen because she has already given the name of the letter writer and giving it again would seem like wasted space. I could be totally wrong on both guesses though. :)

message 27: by Lillystn (new)

Lillystn | 4 comments Anna wrote: "Lily wrote: "Hi people,

I'm new. Druing the lockdown I've now fallen in love with 19th century novels and currently read pride & prejudice. I absolutely love it and am sad not to have read it bef..."

Alright thank you, that's what I expected but I wasn't sure either ;)