Book Snails Book Group discussion

The Book Thief
This topic is about The Book Thief
ARCHIVED > Question 2 - Discuss the meaning of Max painting over Mein Kampf. What is he able to express by doing this and by drawing over it, that he cannot convey in person?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Julie (julie_prewett) Here is our second question regarding "The Book Thief". We will be having our main group discussion around October 25th once everyone has finished the book. Hope everyone is enjoying it!! Julie!

message 2: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1150 comments Mod
Great discussion question, Julie! Thank you.

Erin | 822 comments Mod
I finished the book last night, including the Anniversary Edition Bonus Material, so I know exactly what the author wanted to convey. Wouldn't be fair for me to contribute, but I'm interested to see how everyone else interprets it!

This really was a good book, and I highly recommend reading the bonus material for those whose copy has it.

I'm looking forward to the main group discussion!

Julie (julie_prewett) Erin wrote: "I finished the book last night, including the Anniversary Edition Bonus Material, so I know exactly what the author wanted to convey. Wouldn't be fair for me to contribute, but I'm interested to se..."

I really enjoyed this book also. I am not fully at the end so I will take a try at this tomorrow!

Julie (julie_prewett) Allison wrote: "Great discussion question, Julie! Thank you."

Thank you my co-pilot!!

Sammantha (sammylouise) | 10 comments I finished the book a couple days ago. Really good book and very sad.

Julie (julie_prewett) Sammantha wrote: "I finished the book a couple days ago. Really good book and very sad."

Oh no. :-( I must still continue though.....

Erin | 822 comments Mod
It is very sad, but honestly, I didn't cry during this one. I cried when I read The Nightingale which I didn't even like much overall, but not for this one. Very weird. I think I know why, but I don't want to ruin anything for anyone.

Julie (julie_prewett) Erin wrote: "It is very sad, but honestly, I didn't cry during this one. I cried when I read The Nightingale which I didn't even like much overall, but not for this one. Very weird. I think I kn..."

Cant wait for the discussions!!!

Kelsey Oh, yikes, I didn't realize October 25th was coming up so soon! I'm not even half way through the book, so I really don't think I'll finish it in time, but I'll try my best!

To answer the question though, it's interesting, because Max said it's the thing that's saved his life, yet it's also the thing that's condemned 6 other million people, including his family. I liked the fact that Max did paint over it. Obviously, it's his way to strike back against Hitler, but I also think that it's a symbol of him reclaiming his life, too, in a very small way.

And, he's also being hidden, as well. He can't move around the house freely, he can't go outside, and this is his way of getting his story out. Of him saying, yes, I was here, yes, I have a life, even though everyone has to pretend I don't, and let me write my life down, to solidify it.

Julie (julie_prewett) Kelsey wrote: "Oh, yikes, I didn't realize October 25th was coming up so soon! I'm not even half way through the book, so I really don't think I'll finish it in time, but I'll try my best!

To answer the questio..."

I agree! I was thinking it's a way he disrespects Hitler by treating his word as nothing and painting over them. Then he gives meaning to the paper by writing his own thoughts.