Support for Indie Authors discussion

Fun > The pants-soiling nightmare thread

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4333 comments Mod
One of those awful mods complained that I put the following post in the wrong place and it belonged in the "pants-pooping nightmare" thread. But, there was no such thread.

So, I am making one. Enjoy.

I had finished my masterpiece. I knew this would be the one, the book that everyone would flock to. This one would change the world. This one would inspire generations. Best of all, this one would make me rich.

It sold well. Very well. I had told numerous people about it, done a lot of advertising all over the Internet. As soon as it was published, it sold. Dozens of copies the first day. Hundreds the next. Thousands a day the second week out. I could not believe this great fortune!

I called up my boss and quit my "day job". I bought a new house and a new car. I bought a diamond ring and proposed to my girl.

Then... it all went downhill. Reviews came in. Complaints of the book ending on a cliffhanger followed by complaints that the ending made no sense. People claimed that characters changed names, that there were hundreds of misspellings... per page! The lists of complaints were nearly endless.

With thousands of one-star reviews, the sales stopped. Weeks went by and not one more sale came in. I lost the house, the car and even the girl.

I thought that I would quote a line from my book in my suicide note and finally took a look at it. I realized to my horror... I'd published my rough draft.

So, what's your britches-crapping nightmare story?

message 2: by Morris (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) You needed and need an editor.

Tara Woods Turner Dwayne wrote: "One of those awful mods complained that I put the following post in the wrong place and it belonged in the "pants-pooping nightmare" thread. But, there was no such thread.

So, I am making one. Enj..."

Um...that was your flash fiction right? I just need to be sure this didn't really happen to you lol.

message 4: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Morris wrote: "You needed and need an editor."

Well duh! He did say it was his rough draft after all :P

message 5: by Martin (new)

Martin Wilsey | 447 comments If you used Createspace, fix it, repub, fixed tomorrow. The First edition is now collectable!

message 6: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments I hope you all realize that this is a story, right? It DID NOT happen to Dwayne! At least, not yet.

message 7: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 611 comments Well done, Dwayne :D very shudder-worthy story indeed.

On a serious note, I literally had nightmares that this would happen when I set up my first pre-order!

message 8: by Charles (new)

Charles Hash | 1054 comments This one time, at band camp...

message 9: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Morris wrote: "You needed and need an editor."

Me no need no stankeng editar.

message 10: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) As your court-appointed editor, pants-soiling is stuffy and pretentious. :P

message 11: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Das y I dunt like you editars. Yoo'all hat ever hting I dooooo

message 12: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Charles wrote: "This one time, at band camp..."

Yes? Go on...!

message 13: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Also...

Dwayne wrote: "One of those awful mods..."

It's MEAN MOD! Get it right! Geez!

message 14: by Rohvannyn (new)

Rohvannyn Shaw | 189 comments I was pretty frightened when I published a book and thought I had a typo in the title. The TITLE! It was pretty bad till I realized everything was just fine.