Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Workshop No New Posts > how important is an author bio in printed book createspace

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James (new)

James (jimmyfvic) | 9 comments Hi everybody,
I've got space on the back cover. I'm considering putting an author bio. Is it really necessary/important/nice to have but not a requirement? Could I please have some opinions? Thanks.

message 2: by Ken (last edited Oct 07, 2016 03:59PM) (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) I put my bio on a separate page, with a picture, at the end of the book, and an abbreviated blurb for the book on the back cover.

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Challis | 15 comments I don't think it hurts to add one. Readers like to know a bit a out your expertise in a subject
plus other books,you may have written.

message 4: by Angel (new)

Angel | 216 comments I wouldn't say it's mandatory. I put my bio inside on the last page of my first book, the second book I won't be doing one, except to let readers know about upcoming releases. On the back cover I always put my blurb, which I always keep very short.

message 5: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments I didn't put any. If they want to know about me they can check my bio on Amazon where they most likely bought the book if they did.

message 6: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) I usually put a short bio and picture on the back at the bottom. Mostly so that there is something to balance the bar code, but no, it isn't necessary.

message 7: by James (new)

James (jimmyfvic) | 9 comments Will the presence of an author photo help sell the book? I dont wanna put one on the back cover if it is going to badly influence a purchaser's decision. (and what look should I have on my face, serious, happy, constipated?)

message 8: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Well, I barely sell any paperbacks, so I'll just go ahead and assume that's because my face is a deterrent. ;P

You will have to decide for yourself what you want to express to your reader. There isn't really a standard formula for author photos.

message 9: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 316 comments I chose not to have my face on the back cover, because in my genre it doesn't seem to be standard. I'm using that space for reviews... once I get some! I put the bio inside instead.

message 10: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Workman (pdworkman) I have an 'about the author' page at the back of the books, and on my back covers, a little one-line bio and my picture. When looking at one of my books, people often comment on the picture and read the bio line out loud. That tells me it is connecting me to readers in some way.

message 11: by John Hooker (new)

John Hooker | 90 comments I use my "face logo" for everything including the web. I never send actual photos even when requested. As it is minimal detail it doesn't get too old and still looks like me although I have lost a little weight (it's now 20 years old), and it's been working well for branding (some sites link to me just using it without any text so it's caught on as a "brand").

message 12: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman My younger son did a cartoon of himself. I have done that but have three or for stock pictures that I use. I agree it with PD workman. It gives a face to the name, personalized the book. After all the publicity I have done, almost every question is about "me" the author. I think people want to see the writer. Every time I advertise the book anywhere- they ask for a picture as well. I think it becomes part of brand recognition. My older son didn't want to do it, but after looking at the backs of a dozen books, he gave in and we took a picture. We chose black and white the first time because for him that seemed easier. It didn't feel like an invasion of his life.

message 13: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) James wrote: "and what look should I have on my face, serious, happy, constipated?..."

I tried to use a picture that captured all three of those in one dignified blend. Actually, since I don't photograph well and have to go through several broken cameras for a final so-so result, I used the best of a series of bad pictures.

message 14: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Workman (pdworkman) James wrote: "Will the presence of an author photo help sell the book? I dont wanna put one on the back cover if it is going to badly influence a purchaser's decision. (and what look should I have on my face, se..."

What look you have on your face is probably influenced by what genre and voice you write with. Ditto how you are dressed and present yourself. What is your style? What part of you is reflected in your writing?

Fantasy? Angsty? Mysterious? Thrilling? Evil?

message 15: by Glenda (new)

Glenda Shaw | 19 comments Ken wrote: "James wrote: "and what look should I have on my face, serious, happy, constipated?..."

I tried to use a picture that captured all three of those in one dignified blend. Actually, since I don't pho..."

You sound like me. I would love to use a picture from high school or someone else, I don't have the confidence to have photos of my face everywhere. Good luck, you'll be fine!

message 16: by Clint (new)

Clint Forgy (clintforgy) | 39 comments Stephen King isn't photogenic. Grin and bear it.

message 17: by Carole (last edited Oct 09, 2016 01:36PM) (new)

Carole P. Roman Wear glasses that don't belong to you. Do your hair in a different style- that should preserve the private side of you. Do it in black and white as well.