What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Children's books with Dairy Cows or Farming in General

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 10 comments I am in school to be an elementary teacher, and I grew up on a dairy farm. June is National Dairy Month and I am looking for books that would be good to use. I am looking for dairy cows specifically and farming in general. Having grown up on a farm I believe it's very important to teach children about where their food comes from, and all aspects of the farming lifestyle. Picture books and chapter books are fine since I'm not sure what specific grade I want to teach yet. I really like the series Millie's Misadventures which is cute and funny but I would appreciate good non-fiction about farming and diaries too. There is a book called Harris and Me that was fun too, it had some farming aspects and was very entertaining. Those are just some examples of what I think of when I think of Dairy or farming topic books. All time eras are fine too since that owes to how farming has changed over the years. I appreciate your help.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Judy Wolfman has several books about 'Life On A Farm'. I haven't read them, but my DIL told me to keep an eye out for them for the grandmonster. He's too young for them yet, but she said her school (She's a PE instructor for Elementary school.) has them.

Hope that helps. I agree that it's important that kids know about farming & where/how their food is raised. All mine did.

message 3: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1090 comments Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder shows how farming was done in the 1800's, and includes dairy cows. Farmer Boy

message 4: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 10 comments Thank you for those. I really like the looks of the "life on a ____ farm" books. I totally didn't think of the Little House Series. Love those books. Read them with my grandma, started when I was about 5 or so. Good memories.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) There seems to be a real dearth of such books out there. I'm amazed by how little most people know about farming today. I think you're doing a great thing.

message 6: by Pamela (last edited Oct 08, 2016 03:59PM) (new)

Pamela Love | 1090 comments The Milk Makers by Gail Gibbons appears to be exactly what you want for younger children The Milk Makers.

You can see pages from it on Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/Milk-Makers-Re...

She's written a variety of other books about other things grown on farms, too.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38279 comments Mod
There's always Charlotte's Web.

I haven't read these but they might be worth just checking out:

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate

Big Red Barn

Strawberry Girl

Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type

Serious Farm

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38279 comments Mod
The Cow Who Fell in the Canal used to be one of my favorites but I can't remember much of the story. I don't know if farming has much to do with it.