Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [2017] Voting for 13th Mini-Poll

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
Voting is now open!

The 2017 Reading Challenge will continue the concept of this year's challenge, with 52 weekly topics. Users then choose a book fitting each topic in order to complete the challenge.

The Process:
The topics for the 2017 RC list will be determined through around 14 mini-polls. Suggestions for each poll will be open until 20 suggestions are received and then opened up for voting for one week. Each user will vote for their top 4 and bottom 4 topics in each mini-poll, resulting in 3-4 challenge entries from each (13 polls x 4 topics/poll=52 weekly topics). The final, 14th poll will be devoted to resubmits from polls 7-13.

The Rules:
- Voting ends October 13
- One vote per poll per user

Reminder of Current Challenge Themes: PLEASE take a moment to consider how your votes would fit into our (almost complete) list
--- Title & cover ---
A book with an animal on the cover or in the title
A book with a long title (5+ words, excluding any subtitles)
A title that doesn't contain the letter "E"
A book with a one-word title

--- Reading List/Goodreads/People/Recommendations ---
A book in the middle of your TBR list
A book from someone else's bookshelf
A book that you've owned for a while but haven't gotten around to reading
A book recommended by one of your favorite authors
A book you meant to read in 2016
A recommendation from "What Should I Read Next"
A book that is a continuation of a book you've already read

--- Inside & theme ---
A book with a strong female character
A book based on a myth
A novel inspired by a work of classic literature
A book about a famous historical figure
A book with an unreliable narrator
A book set in a fictional location
A book with at least 2 perspectives (more than one main character and point of view)
A dual timeline novel
A book set in or by an author from the Southern Hemisphere
A book written or set in Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland)
A book with illustrations
A book with a chilling atmosphere (scary, unsettling, or cold)

--- Genre ---
A Penguin modern classic
An epistolary fiction book
A mystery
A historical fiction
A book that is a subgenre of your favorite genre
A nonfiction book
A book of magical realism
An adventure book (fiction or nonfiction)

--- Author & publishing---
A book by an author you haven't read before
A book written by a person of color (i.e. someone who isn’t white)
A book set in or by an author from the Southern Hemisphere
A book written or set in Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland)
A banned book
A book written by at least two authors
A book by one of your favorite authors
A book published in 2017
A really long book (600+ pages)

--- Awards, challenges, adaptations, lists, etc ----
A book from the Goodreads "Top 100 YA Books"
A category from another challenge
A book from the Goodreads Choice Awards 2016
A best book of the 21st century (so far)
A book from the BBC The Big Read list (link)
A book being released as a movie in 2017
A Hugo Award winner
A past suggestion that didn't win

Helpful Links/Clarifications
A time travel book: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
A book published post-humously: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/6...
A fantasy or sci-fi short read: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
A history of women: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
A book you chose randomly: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
A book published outside of the Top 4: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Fou...
A book with a title, setting or subject having to do with a museum: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

Survey Link

message 2: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2926 comments I had a pretty clear top and bottom 3, then 2 of each that I went back and forth on. Overall I felt we had some good choices in this set.

message 3: by Joy (new)

Joy | 106 comments I had a clear top and bottom two, and the rest were all just ok for me. I guess that means I have a pretty good chance of getting books that I don't mind reading, at least.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2672 comments Tough choice again for me because only one or two really stood out for my top 4, but there were quite a few that I knew I didn't want. Some were because I didn't understand the topic very clearly, and others because they were too similar to what I've done in other challenges or I couldn't find too many options when I tried to do an initial search.

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments I'm super excited to start doing the 2017 challenge, but at the same time, I'm going to miss the process of creating the list and voting. It's been so much fun.

message 6: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments I think its the first time I absolutely don't hesitate for my top 4, it was almost love a first sight ;)

I'm with you Katie, I'm going to miss the curiosity to see what others will come up with and the excitation to wait for the results!

message 7: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments I'm interested in more than my top 4, so I hope some of these suggestions will be in the final list. I haven't decided which past suggestion I'll pick for my plan and I've a soft spot for "A book published outside of the top 4 publishing houses", so maybe I'll use this one if it doesn't end in the list, it'd be fun to track the publishers (something I do only when buying paper copies).

Don't worry, you'll have plenty of work reading the progress posts questions, exploring the links suggested and discovering the plans! Plus, the super excitement provided by the list final order :p

message 8: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments I had a clear top 3 and a clear bottom 4, the rest I really didn't mind so I had to think for a while about which one to give my fourth top spot to.

I think the list is coming together really well now. I can't believe we only have this poll and then one more batch to choose from and then the list is finished! How fast has this year gone?!

message 9: by Bec (new)

Bec | 774 comments I agree, clear top 3 and clear bottom 4. Can't wait to see the final list!

message 10: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I think this group was very good. There were some very creative choices this time.

message 11: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 784 comments I only picked one to the bottom because I would be ok with all other choices - even that one, probably. For the same reason it was hard to pick just four - there was one I loved (funny title), the others were pretty equal looking to me.

message 12: by Silvia (last edited Oct 12, 2016 08:01AM) (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments A funny title was in my top four and although is not sure that that one will win, I have started to look for ideas, but I have checked a few list of suggestions for Funny Title and none of them really caught my interest. Any suggestion of a good list I can check?

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2672 comments I liked the funny title idea, but I didn't vote for it because when I looked through my TBR, nothing really caught my attention.

message 14: by Joann (new)

Joann If you like cozy mysteries, there are a lot of funny titles in that genre. I suggested it because I was curious what others would come up with.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.