2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)
This topic is about For a Few Demons More
For a Few Demons More > Question F

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7625 comments Mod
I was unclear why Trent murdered the Weres. What did I miss because this seems like a bridge too far.

message 2: by Veronica (last edited Oct 06, 2016 09:22AM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Harrison confirmed a long time ago that Trent didn't murder the Weres. He didn't lie to Rachel about that. He kidnapped them in order to try to get information about them but they all really did kill themselves rather than risk breaking and talking.

Rachel is a very unreliable narrator and her rigid dislike of Trent colors a lot of her interactions with him. She could see things a lot clearer if she'd just learn to listen.

Thank you, Veronica because it just didn't square up in my mind. Why would Trent risk his reputation, etc. by killing these people?

I so agree about Rachel's unreliability. There are times I'm thinking, "Where'd THAT come from?"

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Yes, Rachel is highly prejudiced against Trent and this taints her perspective when it comes to him.

Once again Trent's approach of the "ends justify the means" test the limits of what is moral. No, he didn't kill the weres but his actions led to their deaths nonetheless and he is responsible.

The fact that Trent was going to alter Rachel's memory bugged me more than the were deaths. Taking away someones free will is a big no-no for me. I'm really glad that it didn't work.

I love that Ciri scared the pants off Trent and Quen, lol!

He definitely tests those limits.

Ciri is pretty awesome! I love that Trent is intimidated by her.

message 6: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Rachel and Trent have an interesting dynamic for sure, very push-pull. They're mostly very antagonistic and competitive with each other but then every so often they seem to have an honest moment between them.

Not to be nit-picky but it's spelled "Ceri", short for Ceridwen. I know it's hard to guess at spelling when you're listening to audiobook. :-) I always liked that the demons use a person's full name - Rachel Mariana Morgan...Trenton Aloysius Kalamack. I can't recall Ceri's full name.

I was too lazy to check the cast list:) Her full name is Cerdiwen (Ceri) Merriam Dulciate.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Veronica wrote: "but then every so often they seem to have an honest moment between them. ."

Yes, I love those. Like after the explosion on the boat.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Veronica wrote: "I know it's hard to guess at spelling when you're listening to audiobook. :-)"

Yeah, I was going to spell Minias "Meneas", but then decided to look it up first :0)

message 10: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments The bits on the boat and afterward were some of my favorites from book 3, Lauren. Having read the entire series and then participating a series re-read with the author back in 2013/2014...well, this is what I wrote back then:

"Good observations, Regina. I think there is always another layer to be gleaned from paying attention to Trent's reactions. Knowing what we know now, he really was giving away a lot if you knew to look for it. "

Which is true for a lot of things in the series, not just Trent. Harrison was always writing a couple of books ahead when she wrote this series, which gave her the luxury of going back into earlier-still-not-published manuscripts to make tweaks or add things if she hit on a great idea in the one she was actually working on. So the reread revealed that there are a lot of clues seeded throughout the books that don't have their ultimate payoff until a few books later. Things that if Rachel had been paying attention or was more open to, would've made a difference. But hindsight is everything so I can't fault Rachel for missing what I also initially missed or glossed over.

I know you ladies will probably not ever reread this series but just wanted to point out that subtext is everything so I'd recommend paying attention to stuff between the lines, body language, etc. :-)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Veronica wrote: "Harrison was always writing a couple of books ahead when she wrote this series, which gave her the luxury of going back into earlier-still-not-published manuscripts to make tweaks or add things if she hit on a great idea in the one she was actually working on."

That's really interesting. I'm going to pay more attention going forward.

So am I.