Start by marking “For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)” as Want to Read:
For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)

For a Few Demons More

(The Hollows #5)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  52,880 ratings  ·  1,368 reviews
Despite dating one vampire and living with another, Rachel Morgan has stayed ahead of trouble until now. A serial killer stalks the Hollows, claims victims across society, and ignites a vicious Inderland gang war. Rachel hides an ancient artifact that could stop the killer or start a battle to the death among supernatural races of Cincinnati. Every action has its price. Wh ...more
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 456 pages
Published March 20th 2007 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about For a Few Demons More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For a Few Demons More

·  52,880 ratings  ·  1,368 reviews

Start your review of For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)
Luffy
I gave the book 3.5 score but rounded it to 3 stars. I love giving 3 stars to books that I think deserve so, yet I feel that I'm underestimating them. 3 star books are mercurial in their very being. I happen to think that the author is her own worst enemy.

Whenever a clash is about to occur, or when there's tension and drama and pathos in the present reading of a particular chapter, The author changes the scene and I am left with the feeling that nothing is resolved.

There is a large cast of char
Kat Kennedy
Dec 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Sometimes, though you know it to be true, nature will remind you of what a bitch it is.

Like, for example, if you come to Australia and manage to avoid the myriad of poisonous spiders, snakes, scorpions, jelly fish, stone fish and some frogs.

Then you manage to not get killed or viciously maimed by the crocodiles, koalas, cassowary, dingos, sharks, sting-rays and locals (do you have any idea of how many tourists go missing and get murdered in Australia?)

Then you survive the outback with its inten
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

@!-# Vampires Epic tear

So I don't know if I'm using the "@!?#" button correctly, but in my head it's the "WTF?! Elephant." Has been since I first laid eyes on it. So if that's not what it's supposed to mean, now you know what it means to me:

Elephant as illustration for WTF?! + @!?# (WTF?!) = WTF?! squared.

And that is what is going on here. And it is fan-friggin'-tastic.

Right. So Trent's getting married to Ellasbeth, and he wants Rachel to work security for the wedding.

*blinks*

I kno
Jonetta
Just too much Rachel/Ivy drama for me. I suffered through about 12 hours of that until the story got interesting. And, I'm not seeing any real character growth so I'm taking an extended, maybe permanent break. It was tiresome seeing Rachel make the same dumb mistakes over and over again through five books.

On a brighter note, the narration is excellent.
Lazaros
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urban fantasy lovers
“There were no more choices, no more options, no more clever ways out of a tough situation. And the rush, I realized in a brutal wash of despair, is a false god I’ve chased my entire life. One that cost me everything in the blind search for sensation. My entire existence amounted to nothing.”

I have no idea how I found the courage to read this book until it's very end. This one was full of suspense and a constant stress and a feeling that someone wouldn't come out of this alive, and for once,
Steven
Sadness. Great book but umph did it hit me right in the feels?!?!
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was so darn good to get back into this world. Even though I knew I loved this series, it was a huge reminder just why I love it.

Once again Rachel has gotten herself into a sticky situation. One full of danger, lies, and oh yeah, demons. The stakes are getting higher and not everyone is going to come out of this one alive.

There were so many feels with this, I don't even know where to begin. So much was revealed and said, and done.

I can't even begin to express how much I love this series. It
Currently working my way through the requisite hundred or so pages of relationship angsting that has to happen before the plot starts. That may sound tedious, and frankly it is. But it's Harrison's pattern, and once the plot kicks into gear it's a fantastic ride. You just have to slog through that introductory angst first.

***

And now that I'm finished, I'm not sure what I think. The story itself was pretty darned exciting, but I'm getting a little sick of Rachel, and most of the people around her
Sara Kate
Why?!?! Nobody warned me about Kisten.
This was a good edition to series but definitely left me sad.
Lauren Stoolfire
The best book in the series so far. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jenks is the real MVP. By the way, the short story included at the end of the novel called "The Bridges of Eden Park" was particularly brutal to read because of how the novel ended. How could Kim Harrison do that to us?
Joana Rodriguez
Nov 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
Wow. That was my final impression of the much anticipated fifth book in Kim Harrison’s Rachel Morgan series. Much like Harrison’s previous work, For a Few Demons More was a non-stop, action packed romp through an alternate version of Cincinnati. My only complaint was that the relationship of two of the main characters seems to have taken two steps back for the single step forward it gained. And of course the death of a beloved character never sits too well with anyone. But enough of the teasing. ...more
Laura Kreitzer
What is up with authors killing the characters I love? Argh!
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Still a 5 star read and i still love this series i was really disappointed and heartbroken at the ending but i understand it and that it will be a big turning point for Rachel a loss like that numbs certain aspects giving way to new less rose tinted ones....

I love and hate Rachel... I cannot understand her reluctance of certain things and her risks in others she is definitely an enigma, I do feel sorry for her that she has to base her whole life around Ivy's feelings and if she really had the op
Kribu
It seems that The Hollows is a series that might just be a bit like crack: I don't find it that particularly awesome, and there's a lot about it that I don't in fact like, but overall, it's addictive and hard to stay away from - and dammit, I want more.

First, the bad: honestly? Pretty much the same things I've complained about in my reviews for the previous books. Epithets. Dear god, the epithets. There were long stretches where I either didn't notice them or an editor had got hold of some chunk
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
There is something wrong with Rachel. I'm starting to like this series less and less. Why is she so stupidly slicing off her nose to spite herself? She's a total screw up from what I can tell. She is also a selfish bitch who has too many loyal friends. Why do they gather around her? I really don't know. How many people is she going to take down with her? While I did like reading to learn more about what is going on, I'm starting to really dislike this dumb bitch. If there is one thing I can't ab ...more
Jen Davis
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book shredded me. I cried for the last 50 pages or so. And not just a silent tear or two, but out-loud crying... messy with used Kleenex all over the sofa. I will not spoil the why's of it, but I can't possibly talk about this book without acknowledging its enormous emotional impact. I don't know if I can ever forgive Kim Harrison.

With the ending weighing on me so heavily, it's hard to look back to the rest of the book. It starts out strong, addressing the repercussions of Rachel's interact
Shandra
Actual rating: 3 to 3.5 I-Expected-More stars.

If I'm forced to pick a least favorite in the series thus far, it'd be this one. I'm not a fan of a few huge plot points in this one. I can't say more for fear of spoiling. Will I continue the series? Well...duh!!! This series and world and characters are still crack to me!!!
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Book five is such an interesting blend. While it is one of the best in the series, likely the funniest, it is also the most tragic and depressing.

For the characters, a reader gets plenty of page time with their favorites. Al is around quite often but not in the typical fashion and for different reasons. There's the return of an older villain. Trent gets plenty of time on the page, as well, but this book soured my impressions of him. Even after reading all the books now up to book 12, I still fee
VampireNovelFan
Not too far removed from Book 4, in For a Few Demons more we see that Rachel still has "the focus," a 5,000 year old demon-crafted werewolf artifact that was the focus of book 4. Considering its power, it's a hot commodity and everybody who is anybody wants to get their hands on it, from the evil Vampire Piscary to business tycoon and underground druglord, Trent Kalamack, to the Weres themselves. Rachel's got her hands full, and it doesn't help that her werewolf friend, David, is suspected of be ...more
Charlie
I'd completely forgotten how upsetting this book is. I'm crying ugly tears and I don't like it. As usual, 5 stars.
Marta Cox
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Absolutely love this series with its quirky characters and non stop chaos running through. It's addictive reading for me with twists and surprises along the way and this particular book just added more delicious mayhem.
Suz
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, audio
Yup, this is "that one."
jD
I stopped about 100 pages into this one in Fall 2010 because I did not see enough character development. Had I continued to read it I don't think I would have come away with a different perspective because I wanted it too badly. I was reading it at the same time I was getting into Cat and Bones of Night Huntress so I wanted more of that. My opinion of what should happen overshadowed my ability to really enjoy what was. This time around, I was better prepared for the character short comings due t ...more
Hannah D’Angelo
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mark
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very good storyline, but some very confusing choices by Rachel and the other main characters. Major surprise for one of them.
Stephanie (Bookfever)
Super sad ending but probably the best book in the series so far.
Tabitha
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review is also featured on Behind the Pages: For A Few Demons More

It was as if a part of me had died, accepting that I couldn’t be who I wanted, so I had to work at making who I was, someone I could live with.

Rachel is going to have to accept demons are going to ruin her life. Every time she turns around, a demon seems to be crossing the lines to pester her. Of course, it doesn’t help that she’s learning how to spin curses from Ceri. But if a curse doesn’t hurt someone, it isn’t evil right?
valee
Oct 07, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
For me this installment in the series wasn't as good as the last 2 books, which were a 5 stars-rating and favs. I would give this book 3.5 stars if possible.

The beginning was good. All the drama with Al was a great way to begin the book. I like him a lot. He's not one of my fav characters but a really good one; you just know that if he's in the picture thing will get juicy.

My problem was that then things got slower and slower. It took me forever to finish it. I got bored more than once and had
Rita
This was Heart Pounding! I was cold and then hot, I was engulfed in this one. I was disappointed about Brett; I wanted him to become a part of the team. Sick about Kistin, still despise Ivy. I think Trent cares about her, but he will turn into a snake at a moment’s notice. I liked Manias and Big AL was funny. I laughed a lot in this one. This just might be my favorite one. Can't wait to see what is next.
Hollows Read-alon...: Can’t forgive Bretts death 10 37 Jan 09, 2020 01:24PM
Vampires, Weres a...: For a Few Demons More 75 38 Jan 27, 2018 12:48AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question F 12 11 Oct 08, 2016 07:27AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question G 6 10 Oct 07, 2016 11:22AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question H 4 10 Oct 07, 2016 11:13AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question D 5 11 Oct 07, 2016 11:06AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question C 6 10 Oct 07, 2016 11:05AM

• Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6)
  • Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, #7)
  • Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4)
  • Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2)
  • Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, #3)
  • Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5)
  • Night Broken (Mercy Thompson, #8)
  • Stolen (Women of the Otherworld, #2)
  • Burnt Offerings (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #7)
  • Grave Visions (Alex Craft, #4)
  • Grave Memory (Alex Craft, #3)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • Grave Ransom (Alex Craft, #5)
  • Fire Touched (Mercy Thompson, #9)
  • Grave Destiny (Alex Craft, #6)
  • Claimed by Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
Kim Harrison is best known as the author of the New York Times #1 best selling Hollows series, but she has written more than urban fantasy and has published over two-dozen books spanning the gamut from young adult, thriller, several anthologies, and has scripted two original graphic novels. She has also published traditional fantasy under the name Dawn Cook. Kim is currently working on a new Hollo ...more

The Hollows (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)
  • Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3)
  • A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)
  • The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6)
  • White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)
  • Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8)
  • Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Ever After (The Hollows, #11)

News & Interviews

“That's why I want you there, he said. You're unpredictable, and that can be the difference between success and failure. Most people make decisions in anger, fear, love, or obligation. You make decisions to irritate people.” 685 likes
“Sure am glad I'm not royalty," I muttered. "I wouldn't want to have to bump uglies with someone I can't stand. On a regular basis. And no one else."
"Ow!" I exclaimed, trying to yank my fingers from Trent but finding them caught. Then I colored, realizing what I'd said. "Oh… sorry," I stammered, meaning it. "That was insensitive."
Trent's frown turned into a sly smirk. "Bump uglies?" he said, eyes on the table behind me. "You are a font of gutter slang, Rachel. We must do this again.”
79 likes