For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)
This topic is about For a Few Demons More
For a Few Demons More > Question A

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7626 comments Mod
What is it that Rachel wants from Ivy?

message 2: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Good question. Heck if I know. Sometimes I think that due to Rachel's lonely childhood and being sick all the time makes her desperate for any kind of love and affection. She has cobbled together this little family with Ivy and Jenks and she's so desperate to not have either one abandon her that she's willing to turn herself inside out in order to make Ivy happy. Not a healthy basis for any relationship, IMO.

I agree, Veronica. What was also perplexing was Rachel's drooling over every male in this story with any modicum of attractiveness. What woman in love does this?

I don't have any quibble with questioning your sexuality but Rachel was pretty clear she liked men and really wasn't interested in a sexual relationship with Ivy but wanted her to bite her.

I gave up. Your explanation is a sound one and I just wish she'd get it together. I'm with Jenks...the woman is an immature adrenaline junky with a death wish.

message 4: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Yes, and Rachel's appreciation of all the attractive males that pass through this series makes it evident that she's straight. She never notices women in the same way at all. If she ever had then things would be different.

Jenks is about the only one who always speaks truth, lol. He calls it like he sees it and his judgment is generally spot on. Rachel will always be a little impulsive and she wears her feelings on her sleeve (she'd be terrible at poker) but IMO she does eventually gain some better insight about herself. And like I mentioned before, the death of Kisten and the fallout from that will be a major wakeup call for Rachel.

So....you're saying not to give up:)

message 6: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments LOL, only you can be the best judge of that because you know your triggers and pet peeves. My personal favorite segment of the series starts with book 8 (when I've re-read I start there), but I am very partial towards certain developments that coincide with that. Who knows how I would've felt if not for that.

Who have been your favorite characters so far or the ones you find the most interesting?

Jenks is my favorite! I love every scene he's in. I also am intrigued by Ciri and Keasley.

Many rave over Trent but for me he's fairly opaque right now because I'll I've had is Rachel's point of view. At best, I'm ambivalent about him.

I despised Nick and hope he's gone for good. I like Rachel's relationship with David, though (not romantically). Their friendship is interesting. Other intriguing characters include Takata and Quen. Plus, I think there's lots to learn about Rachel and Trent's parents' relationship. There's definitely something there.

message 8: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Well, all I can say is that some of the characters you've mentioned will see their presence in the series diminish and others will see it increased. And there are some major shake-ups to come.

Trent and Jenks are my two favorites. Jenks because he's funny and he's really the heart and the glue that holds the main trio together. And Trent because his solitude and his acceptance of the fact that personal happiness is a luxury he can't afford when weighed against his duty made him interesting to me. I don't agree with a lot of his choices but knowing what motivates him (saving his race from extinction) made me understand him better.

Will Trent have more texture soon...like the next book or two? I'm not sure I can make it to #8.

message 10: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Oops, sorry, it's BOOK 9 where my favorite part of the series kicks in. So let's see, without specific spoilers - more a general blueprint:

Book 6 - some backstory on at least one of the characters you like; Rachel discovers some major things about herself

Book 7 - this one felt like mostly filler since a lot of what happens has no major bearing on the series as a whole. That said, a major event from this book (5) is addressed.

Book 8 - major shake up in the church

The parts with Trent will start to have more significance as will those of a character that you didn't mention.

Veronica, that is EXTREMELY helpful!!! You've convinced me not to abandon the series.

I think if I'd read this one instead of listened, I could have skimmed through the first half of this book. It's hard to do with an audiobook because you have no idea what you may have missed.

Now that I'm done and moved on, it's feeling less tedious. I won't be reading the next book next month but I'll put it back in rotation in a couple of months.

Thanks so much!

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Thanks for the blueprint, Veronica.

I'm interested enough in the ongoing story and the secondary characters (Jenks, Trent, Quen, Ciri, Glenn) to continue.

I agree that Rachel's hot/cold relationship with Ivy is not at all healthy. This really needs resolution sooner rather than later.

message 13: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments You're welcome! I thought I was being too vague but I didn't want to spoil anything, lol.

The Ivy/Rachel drama is going to be dialed way down from here on out. I can't recall if its book 6 or 7 but a decision will be made.

When I'm listening to an audiobook and hit a part that doesn't interest me or that seems to be dragging, I speed up the narration. I can still understand what's happening but I get through it faster. :-)

message 14: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments What also helped me is that the vampire drama as a whole starts to take a back seat and the demons and the Ever After start to play bigger roles. I usually love vampires but the vampire society in this series, not so much.

Veronica wrote: "You're welcome! I thought I was being too vague but I didn't want to spoil anything, lol.

The Ivy/Rachel drama is going to be dialed way down from here on out. I can't recall if its book 6 or 7 bu..."

Well, duh! I really should have thought of that. Thanks for that.

Veronica wrote: "What also helped me is that the vampire drama as a whole starts to take a back seat and the demons and the Ever After start to play bigger roles. I usually love vampires but the vampire society in ..."

I was going to mention that earlier. Not a fan of this vampire world.

message 17: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Me either. And, believe it or not, the demons offer the chance for more humor in the series! :-)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Veronica wrote: "I usually love vampires but the vampire society in this series, not so much. "

Yeah, not a fan of the vampires in this one either. They are just super creepy whether living or undead *shudder*

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Veronica wrote: "Me either. And, believe it or not, the demons offer the chance for more humor in the series! :-)"

I like Newt and Minias - his interactions with Rachel made me laugh :0)