Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > How do you get your full name to display as username?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marie Silk (last edited Oct 05, 2016 10:20AM) (new)

Marie Silk | 611 comments Hi everyone :) Sorry this is random and weird, but I can't figure it out for the life of me.

I am confused about how some goodreads members get their full name or even more than that to show when they make posts to the forum. When I post, it just says "Marie" but I would prefer it to show my first and last name. How do you set this up? Thank you :).

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 544 comments A good question, Marie. I've tried and failed.

message 3: by Marie Silk (last edited Oct 05, 2016 10:41AM) (new)

Marie Silk | 611 comments Anna, this is weird. In my notifications when it said you commented on this thread, it actually showed your first and last name in the notification. But when I click on this thread, it only shows your first name on your comment. Is there any rhyme or reason to when goodreads shows full names and first names only? Haha. Some goodreads members have a username a mile long with little stars and hearts and whatnot. How on earth??

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 544 comments If I hover over my name, Anna, it shows the full name and how many comments I've made. It does that for your name too. But not so that people can easily distinguish which of the many Annas I am. I suppose the pic does that.

message 5: by J. Daniel, Lurking since 2015 (new)

J. Daniel Layfield (jdaniellayfield) | 94 comments Mod
Try this:

From the desktop site (I have no idea how to do this from a mobile device) hover over your picture on the top right, then click View Profile. For you both this will go to your Author Profile. At the top of that page next to your name you'll see a link to "Edit author profile". Click that and you'll go to the Editing Author page. On the right hand side you'll see a link that says "Edit my user profile", click that and you'll be on the Account Settings page. This has the info displayed on comments and reviews. I *think* what you put in the First Name box is what's displayed. So, if you want your first and last name displayed then put them in the First Name box.

message 6: by J. Daniel, Lurking since 2015 (new)

J. Daniel Layfield (jdaniellayfield) | 94 comments Mod
Also, moved to Author Help as it really didn't fit in the Marketing and Promo Questions.

message 7: by Anna (last edited Oct 05, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 544 comments Thank you, J. Daniel. Thanks for moving us. I've just been to View Profile and Account Settings and in the Display Name I have entered my full name - we'll see what happens!

Edit: Nothing has happened! However, I did not do exactly as you said and put my whole name in the first name box - I find it hard to knowingly break rules!!!!

message 8: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 611 comments Hooray it worked! I didn't even know I still had a "user profile". Thanks J. Daniel :)

message 9: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 611 comments Anna, it did not fix anything when I tried to edit my author profile, but when I edited my user profile, that's when it changed.

message 10: by Anna (last edited Oct 05, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 544 comments I've had another go. I've been to the user profile again and put Faversham in the first name too and taken it out of the last name box, otherwise the Display Name comes up with Anna Faversham Faversham!

I'm about to press 'post'. Let's see.

Edit: Yay! Thanks both!

message 11: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 611 comments Haha, you got it! Awesome :)

message 12: by Jen Pattison (new)

Jen Pattison | 13 comments Thanks for asking this question Marie - it worked for me too! :)

message 13: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 611 comments I'm glad it was helpful :) I've been wondering for a long time!

message 14: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 544 comments Me too!

message 15: by John Hooker (last edited Oct 05, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

John Hooker | 90 comments I'm trying it myself, even though how many people could possibly have the name "John"? ;-)

Yay! it works

message 16: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) You are all so formal now. ;P

message 17: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Workman (pdworkman) Okay, the next question is how you guys are getting those gray user names next to your names!

message 18: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Those are moderator titles that as you can see, we take very seriously. ;)

message 19: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4333 comments Mod
I take mine VERY seriously.

message 20: by Graeme (last edited Oct 05, 2016 03:47PM) (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Checking this out

Done.

message 21: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Dwayne wrote: "I take mine VERY seriously."

Bwahahahahahahaha!

Wait.. should we be scared?

message 22: by Clint (new)

Clint Forgy (clintforgy) | 39 comments I was wondering the same thing. That sent a shiver up my spine and I started sucking my thumb.

message 23: by Missy (new)

Missy Sheldrake (missysheldrake) | 252 comments Yes, very serious titles, here.

message 24: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments As we should!

message 25: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4333 comments Mod
Christina wrote: "Wait.. should we be scared?"

Ooo! The mods are pumpkin spiced now, I see!

message 26: by Anna (last edited Oct 06, 2016 02:00AM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 544 comments Cool... this thread has brought out a Mass of Mods!

message 27: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 727 comments Aww, mods get all the cool stuff! I want a cool grey title! :O

But at least we can all see whole names now :)

message 28: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments Don't mess with the mods. Or they will get on their scooters....