Sacramento Public Library discussion

General > What Are You Reading: October 2016

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sacramento Public Library (saclib) | 370 comments Mod
There's a chill in the air these days, giving you the perfect excuse to curl up with a hot drink, blanket & good book. Share what book you will be reading and help someone else find their next great read!

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie | 125 comments I'm reading den of Wolves . Its the third book in the series with Grim and Blackthorne. :)

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie (katielady_librarian) | 62 comments Mod
Listening to Thirteen Reasons Why on my phone and just started Howl's Moving Castle for school. It's going to be a great month of books!

message 4: by Teresa (last edited Oct 06, 2016 02:51PM) (new)

Teresa | 68 comments Mod
Am working on The boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown and loving it. The descriptions of the boat races are thrilling and it gives me a real feel for the Depression and the spirit of the people trying to survive it.
Next I'm going to read The Girl with the Ghost Eyes, a book that's listed as magical, martial arts, sci fi and fantasy. The author, M.H. Boroson was interested in Asian literature and culture from childhood and grew up to write this fantastical novel. I can hardly wait.

message 5: by Heather (last edited Oct 07, 2016 04:54PM) (new)

Heather | 1 comments I'm currently reading "A Man Called Ove" (great book!), and I recently finished a couple of other great books: "My Last Continent" and "Where'd You Go, Bernadette?"

message 6: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Kesseler | 1 comments Marcia Muller's 'Someone always knows'. Just finished Blaine T Bettinger's 'The Family Tree Guide to FNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy'

message 7: by Brendle (last edited Oct 08, 2016 03:58PM) (new)

Brendle (akajill) | 235 comments Mod
I had the pleasure of reading Repo Madness by W. Bruce Cameron this week. It's the second in the series featuring Ruddy McCann, an ex-con repo man. There's a lot of humor, a good mystery, a touch of romance, a basset hound and a ghost. Definitely a recommended read for cozy mystery fans & mystery fans in general.

I also read The Witches by Stacy Schiff a couple weeks ago. It is a fascinating and detailed read. It is also a difficult one if you aren't really a big history reader as it can get dry and very factual at times. Still the topic has had a strong impact on US history and is relevant to today. I was also surprised at how little I actually knew about the Salem Witch Trials. The real story is much, much worse than most of us ever learn. If you're motivated and can take the time, I'd recommend it.

Currently holding my bookmark is First Star I See Tonight by Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

message 8: by Patricia (new)

Patricia  (patricialuvsbks) | 7 comments My current read is Like A River Glorious by Rae Carson. It's the sequel in a Seer Trilogy about a girl who can sense gold and makes the long and difficult journey from the south to California during the gold rush era.

message 9: by Karisa (new)

Karisa (kar1sa) | 4 comments Just finishing up Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo. It's the sequel to Six of Crows and set in her amazingly rich fantasy world created in her Grisha books. Her strong characters have hearts of gold and dubious morals. It feels like Gangs of New York meets Oceans 11 while being wrapped up in an Urban Fantasy YA... So much adventure and sassiness. I love it!

message 10: by David (new)

David Henson | 57 comments Mod
Currently reading Shadow Games and am having a good time with it so far, it's a bit of a lighter less world building read then I'm used to but it's nice to pass the time.

message 11: by Brendle (new)

Brendle (akajill) | 235 comments Mod
I read Underground Airlines by Ben Winters last weekend. I read it because I was a big fan of one of his previous books, The Last Policeman. That one was a pre-apocalypic mystery while this one is an alt-history thriller, taking place in a US where the civil war never happened. Slavery is still legal in 4 states, and discrimination still common in all states. It's a heavy read at times, and it makes you think a lot about the world we live in now. The thriller element works well too, making this both a thought provoking and fast paced read. I'd recommend it for alt-history fans, thriller fans, book groups, and those looking for something unusual and different to read.

Currently holding my bookmark is Let the Devil Out by Bill Loehfelm.

message 12: by Katie (new)

I've got Modern Romance on audio in my car and The Midnight Star on my nightstand. Such a great month to read, especially with the weather turning!

message 13: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 68 comments Mod
Just read Some writer! : the story of E.B. White / by Melissa Sweet. Everybody has to read this book! The author has written a lovely homage to E.B. White, the author of Charlotte's Web and Stuart Little.There are authors who have used this style before but in Sweet's hands the combination of pictures, letters, paintings, and writings make the book magical. White also wrote and edited for Harper's Bazar and The New Yorker, in fact retiring only after he wrote some 30,000 columns. There are hundreds of fascinating bits of information here and you'll love learning about each bit, presented in delicate watercolors. I think I'll go read it again...

Alison (Lady Coffin) S | 18 comments I just finished Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
WOW! It was really good, and SO creative in the type setting for the pages. I don't read a lot of space scifi, but I would highly recommend this book.

message 15: by Katie (new)

Alison (Lady Coffin) wrote: "I just finished Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
WOW! It was really good, and SO c..."

I brought this book home for my dad one night, and the next morning, he told me that it was SO good. He described it as "a reading experience" rather than reading a regular book. The second book of the series is out too, as he finished that in a day :)

Alison (Lady Coffin) S | 18 comments Katie wrote: "Alison (Lady Coffin) wrote: "I just finished Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
WOW!..."

Katie, I would totally agree it was an experience. I had a few friends rave about it because of the release of the second book.
I look forward to reading Gemina, knowing he read it that fast it must also bee really good.
:-)