What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA Dystopia focused on survival in a drought-like setting. A young girl learns basic and complex survival skills from her mother [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anais (last edited Oct 05, 2016 05:17PM) (new)

Anais Ortega (anais_ortega) | 3 comments *Note: I never got to finish the book because I had to give it back to the library.
Genre: Science Fiction (YA Dystopia)
Plot Details: The book is focused on survival in a drought-like setting. A young girl learns basic and complex survival skills from her mother. They have an old man for a neighbor who was bitten by some animal. The girl and her mother try to protect their pond at all costs, even if it means killing others. When the protagonist has only herself to rely on, things continue as normal. Years later, the girl (now a teen-16) notices that people are coming to her area. Instead of leaving a little girl, a boy her age, a pregnant woman, and the little girl's grandma to die, the protagonist decides to care for them. She takes the little girl into her home and helps the others with their resources. Her neighbor (the old man) becomes a regular figure in her life (much like a father figure). The protagonist's neighbor starts to fancy the little girl's grandmother. Some very unfortunate events take place. One of these incidents mess up the (former) pregnant woman's mental state. The boy starts to like the main character and vice versa. And that's all I read from the book.
*I'm not really sure if this is in order and most of the details are probably inaccurate. I read this in 2014 or 2015. The book is in dead tree format ;)
Book Cover: It was a house in the distance with a large pond. There is a lot of dry land in it too. It was very pretty.

message 2: by Helena (new)

Helena B (winterling) | 14 comments Maybe Not a Drop to Drink ? I never fully read it, just skimmed it at the bookstore so I don't know if it matches the details

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
Anais, please provide plot details (no spoilers) and the genre of the book you’re looking for in the Topic header, not something vague like "Help! can't remember this book". Someone is more likely to recognize your book.

message 4: by Anais (new)

Anais Ortega (anais_ortega) | 3 comments Thank you so much Helena! That was the book I was looking for. Sorry for the spoilers though.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
Spoilers are fine in your posts/comments, just not in the topic header.

message 6: by Anais (new)

Anais Ortega (anais_ortega) | 3 comments Thanks for the input, Lobstergirl. :)