Review Group discussion

Finished rounds > Group 119. Out of this world - Mod. Chance

Comments Showing 1-50 of 190 (190 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Emma, Group Admin (last edited Oct 15, 2016 09:24AM) (new)

Emma Jaye | 4022 comments Mod
The review group is the most successful group for peer reviews on goodreads. It hosts non-reciprocal review rounds of ten authors with a variety of themes and genres, as well as ‘general’ rounds where any book is permitted, from non-fiction, to horror. When a round has ‘now forming’ in the title, there are places available, you can sign up. If it doesn’t, it’s full – look for another round.

This round is for adult fiction classified as scifi, fantasy, dystopian and paranormal/supernatural on amazon

If you are only willing to review your own preferred genre, make sure you join a genre round. Allocation is entirely random and there will NOT be any rearranging of the listing to accommodate personal preference. The ONLY circumstance in which you may duck out of giving a review is if YOU provide a stand-in reviewer.
Let’s be honest here – we don’t all like the same things but we all want reviews. The only way this group can function is if we trust each other to behave honourably. And it IS perfectly possible to give a fair-minded review of a text that does not coincide with our normal choice of reading matter. If you need a few hints/tips, please see this thread:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Now for the boring stuff, but please read it, it saves a lot of time if everyone is on the same wavelength.
Before signing up below with your goodreads author and goodreads book link in the thread below, please ensure that:
1. You have enough time to read and review 4 books within the time allowed.

2. Your book is currently available for sale on amazon (not pre-0rder) and it complies with the individual round theme, if there is one.

3. Your book is fit to be reviewed. If it is not, due to editing or other issues, you risk poor reviews.

4. You can submit reviews to goodreads, amazon.com and amazon.uk. Amazon has recently changed their criteria for reviewers to allow only those people who have spent $50 on amazon. If you are unsure about your amazon reviewer status, try posting a ‘test’ review before signing up.

5. You can provide (and accept) at least PDF files. Many authors can also provide mobi and epub files. You are not expected or required to buy the books you are allocated to review. Some authors borrow books via KU and others provide smashwords coupons or gift copies. This is their choice; you do not have to accept or provide a gift. International Copyright laws apply. You cannot sell, or give away material you have received for review without the author’s express permission.

6. It is up to individual reviewers to comply with guidelines about disclaimers concerning receiving a book in exchange for a review. International laws differ, we are not the review police but this group does not contravene goodreads rules.

7. You have completed all your reviews if you are currently in another review round in this group. You can be involved in the ‘one for one’ list whilst you are in a review round.

8. You have an author profile set up before you join.

9. Your goodreads profile allows people to message you, i.e. your profile is not set to private.

10. You declare any relationship you have with another member in the round. Amazon will not allow reviews from the same household on the same book or if you are an editor, relative or close friend of another member.

11. You agree to post honest reviews of the books you are allocated, whatever the star rating and try to avoid ‘spoilers’.

12. You will not ask a fellow author to change a review simply because you don’t agree with it. If you think you have a legitimate concern, talk to the mod of your round, NOT the other author. Personal attacks, or pressurising other members WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

13. Not fulfilling your obligations to fellow group members or behaving inappropriately, will result you being blacklisted from the group and other members who have reviewed you will asked to remove their review of your book.

14. Your goodreads details and the rounds you participate in will be recorded by the admin mod on a database. We do not retain details of email addresses etc.

The founding principle of the group is honest non-reciprocal reviews, so please help maintain the integrity of the group by letting me know as you sign up if you have been reviewed by, or have reviewed another author in the group. Usually places are allocated on a first come, first served basis.
I will do my best to fit everyone into the group they request, but occasionally, particularly in the case of our more prolific members I may have to decline a member’s request in order to fit the maximum number of people into a particular round.
It is permissible to review an author more than once if a different book is available.

If you need anything clarified please ask, either by goodreads personal message to me or on the thread below, before signing up. It’s a pain to have to keep rearranging the list because people haven’t read the above.

Your group moderator will be
Chance Maree

1. Matt Parker
2. E.M.Swift-Hook
3. Leo McBride
4. Daniel Humphreys
5. Sean Torres
6. Kendi Thompson
7. Susan-Alia Terry
8. David Tucker
9. Scott Spotson
10. Jennifer Withers

Book Links

1.Tales of Engines & Demons
2. The Fated Sky
3.Tales From Alternate Earths
4.A Place Outside The Wild
5.Rey de Noches
6.Year of the Cat: The Thirteenth Realm
7.Coming Darkness
8. Genesis - The Battle Within
9. Bridge Through Time
10. The War Between

message 2: by Matt (new)

Matt Parker | 20 comments Thanks, Emma, for starting a new group so quickly.
I'd like to be included in this one.

Tales of Engines & Demons

Thanks again

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 792 comments Bridge Through Time for me...

Bridge Through Time

message 4: by Leo (new)

Leo McBride (leomcbride) | 115 comments I'd love to hop in too - I've previously been reviewed by Scott with a previous anthology. The collection I'd like to throw into the pot this time is an alternative history anthology, Tales From Alternate Earths.

Thanks for popping up the extra group so quickly!

message 5: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

As long as Scott can review you again that's fine, he's quite a popular member and sometimes its tricky to fit him in.

message 6: by Matt (new)

Matt Parker | 20 comments Just for info, Emma, I'm currently reading one of Leo's books Tales From The Universe: Ten Amazing Stories From Tomorrow I'll be posting a review for that in the One for one review thread this week.

Thanks

message 7: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Thanks for letting me know Matt, as it stands, that isn't a problem.

message 8: by Leo (new)

Leo McBride (leomcbride) | 115 comments Thanks, Matt :)

message 9: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 792 comments Ha, that's why I didn't join the other Out of This World group that formed a few days ago... I figured I would save Emma the headache!

message 10: by Leo (new)

Leo McBride (leomcbride) | 115 comments The curse of being popular, Scott :)

message 11: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

You might cause me the occasional headache when setting up groups, but all the mods luv ya because you do your reviews on time and aren't a diva. its always nice to 'see' some familiar faces alongside new members.

message 12: by Leo (new)

Leo McBride (leomcbride) | 115 comments Just a note to say I'll likely be offline for a few days, but will catch up with everything after the weekend.

message 13: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Humphreys | 16 comments Hello, accidentally joined 118 but looks like this one is more in my bailiwick if y'all will have me. ;)

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 14: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Welcome aboard Daniel.

message 15: by Sean (last edited Oct 05, 2016 12:13AM) (new)

Sean Torres (Froboy69) | 65 comments Sign me up please.

My now professionally edited book: Rey de Noches

message 16: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Welcome aboard Sean.

message 17: by Sean (last edited Oct 05, 2016 12:31AM) (new)

Sean Torres (Froboy69) | 65 comments Good to be back. After all of these years, I have finally saved enough money to get my story professionally edited. I am emotionally excited to work on a new future for my pride after taking constructive criticism within this group.

Thank you again for your honesty.

message 18: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Good to see you back, Sean. This publishing game is a steep learning curve for all of us, and I'd think that the vast majority of indie authors pressed the 'publish' button too early when they started out. I know I've been guilty of it in the past. No one can edit their own work properly.
I work on other people's manuscripts all the time, but I still rely on a group of fellow authors to beta and proof my work.

message 19: by Kendi (last edited Oct 05, 2016 08:35AM) (new)

Kendi Thompson | 35 comments Hi Emma, please sign me up.

Year of the Cat: The Thirteenth Realm (Part 1)

www.goodreads.com/book/show/28218348-...

Thank you

message 20: by Susan-Alia (new)

Susan-Alia Terry (SusanAliaTerry) | 19 comments Hello! Please add me to the list. Coming Darkness

Susan-Alia Terry

message 21: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Welcome Susan-Alia

message 22: by Susan-Alia (new)

Susan-Alia Terry (SusanAliaTerry) | 19 comments Emma wrote: "Welcome Susan-Alia"

message 23: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Hebert | 21 comments Not sure if my novels from my series would qualify for this group. It's a about a Super Hero in a fictional city dealing with all sorts of wacky things from Folklore legends to Dancing Turkeys. I'd like to submit but I want to make sure.

-Benjamin

message 24: by David (last edited Oct 10, 2016 06:22AM) (new)

David Tucker (Teachertron) | 73 comments 'Genesis - The Battle Within' for me

Genesis - the Battle Within (Pillars of Creation, #1).

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Reads & Reviews (lisareviews) Benjamin wrote: "Not sure if my novels from my series would qualify for this group. It's a about a Super Hero in a fictional city dealing with all sorts of wacky things from Folklore legends to Dancing Turkeys. I'd..."

Hi Ben. The guideline is simply, "...adult fiction classified as scifi, fantasy, dystopian and paranormal/supernatural on amazon."

If the shoe fits, post a link to the GR page of the work you want reviewed.

-Chance

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Withers | 28 comments Hi Emma,

I'm new to this group but I would like to sign up for this round. See below my author page and the link for the book I'd like reviewed.
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Thanks.

message 27: by E.M. (new)

E.M. Swift-Hook | 2358 comments Mod
It looks to me like you are probably full, but if you did happen to need someone to make the 10th - I'm free and willing, fast and keen - and most likely much too over eager! ;)

The Fated Sky

I have reviewed Leo and been reviewed by Scott

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Reads & Reviews (lisareviews) The last 3 slots go to:

David
Benjamin (or E.M. if Benjamin doesn't post a link soon)
Jennifer

Once Emma performs her magic list-making trick, we shall begin.

message 29: by David (new)

David Tucker (Teachertron) | 73 comments Cool!

message 30: by Leo (new)

Leo McBride (leomcbride) | 115 comments Just popping my nose back in to say I'm back online. Not 100% there yet (pesky Hurricane Matthew) but regular-ish communication more or less renewed. If there's any problems, by the way, I'm happy to let E.M. take my place, not least because she's fabulous.

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Reads & Reviews (lisareviews) Leo wrote: "Just popping my nose back in to say I'm back online. Not 100% there yet (pesky Hurricane Matthew) but regular-ish communication more or less renewed. If there's any problems, by the way, I'm happy ..."

Benjamin hasn't posted a link so I'm going to give the slot to E.M.

message 32: by Leo (new)

Leo McBride (leomcbride) | 115 comments Hi Chance,

I've been reviewed by Scott and E.M, if that helps. And Matt has a review pending of one of the other anthologies I'm involved in. That's it.

Leo

message 33: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Humphreys | 16 comments Don't believen I've been reviewed by any of these folks unless they picked it up on their own. ;)

message 34: by Matt (last edited Oct 12, 2016 12:53AM) (new)

Matt Parker | 20 comments Leo wrote: "Hi Chance,

I've been reviewed by Scott and E.M, if that helps. And Matt has a review pending of one of the other anthologies I'm involved in. That's it.

Leo"

Yes, I posted a review of Leo's book Tales From The Universe: Ten Amazing Stories From Tomorrow yesterday.
Apart from that, I've not been reviewed by, or reviewed, anyone else on the list.

message 35: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 792 comments I've reviewed Leo but this would be a different book. E.M. I have reviewed and right now she's listed to review me so I think (although I'm fine with her reviewing me) it would be not squarely with the non-reciprocal rules.

message 36: by E.M. (last edited Oct 12, 2016 06:01AM) (new)

In this list I can't review Scott :(

I think if Scott and I were to be swapped it might work though....

Leo wrote: "I'm happy to let E.M. take my place, not least because she's fabulous."

Making me blush - but as I'm last in I would drop if my presence is making issues in the list.

message 37: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Withers | 28 comments So just to check, as I'm new to this, that I'll be reviewing Kendi Thompson, Susan-Alia Terry, David Tucker & E.M.Swift-Hook? If yes, we're good to go.

message 38: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Humphreys | 16 comments Jennifer wrote: "So just to check, as I'm new to this, that I'll be reviewing Kendi Thompson, Susan-Alia Terry, David Tucker & E.M.Swift-Hook? If yes, we're good to go."

Same question for me. ;) n00b :D

message 39: by Sean (new)

Sean Torres (Froboy69) | 65 comments Should be good; I don't think I've ever interacted with any of these authors and I am opened to any book.

message 40: by David (new)

David Tucker (Teachertron) | 73 comments All good here, I have not reviewed or been reviewed by anyone on the list :)

message 41: by Kendi (new)

Kendi Thompson | 35 comments I have not reviewed any of these authors. All good.

message 42: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Reads & Reviews (lisareviews) Leo wrote: "Hi Chance,

Leo"

No problem if they've not already reviewed this novel. Unless you say otherwise, I don't see an issue here.

message 43: by Lisa (last edited Oct 12, 2016 08:50AM) (new)

Lisa Reads & Reviews (lisareviews) New list: E.M. and Scott have been swapped.
Reply yes or no if your assignment violates the non-reciprocal rule. (You will review the 4 authors ahead of you on the list, and be reviewed by the 4 authors behind you on the list--consider the list as circular-- 10 reads 1, etc.)

Yay or nay? -- need all 10 to respond.

1. Matt Parker
2. E.M.Swift-Hook
3. Leo McBride
4. Daniel Humphreys
5. Sean Torres
6. Kendi Thompson
7. Susan-Alia Terry
8. David Tucker
9. Scott Spotson
10. Jennifer Withers

Book Links

1.Tales of Engines & Demons
2. The Fated Sky
3.Tales From Alternate Earths
4.A Place Outside The Wild
5.Rey de Noches
6.Year of the Cat: The Thirteenth Realm
7.Coming Darkness
8. Genesis - The Battle Within
9. Bridge Through Time
10. The War Between

message 44: by Matt (new)

Matt Parker | 20 comments Yay.

message 45: by E.M. (last edited Oct 12, 2016 09:56AM) (new)

Yay!

*re-reads question*

Um or is it Nay?

Anyway, whichever - this works! :)

message 46: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 792 comments Let's say yay for all is good, despite the question, as yay signifies positive. I say yay.

message 47: by Kendi (new)

Kendi Thompson | 35 comments Yay

message 48: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Humphreys | 16 comments Yay.

message 49: by Leo (new)

Leo McBride (leomcbride) | 115 comments I'll venture a Huzzah!

message 50: by Sean (new)

Sean Torres (Froboy69) | 65 comments yay

« previous 1 3 4