COMIC BOOK CRAZIES discussion

What are you currently reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 133 (133 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Damon (new)

Damon (drasmodeus) | 158 comments Mod
Please tell us what you are currently reading. Is it any good?

message 2: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 4 comments I'm halfway through Pretty Deadly, vol. 2 and am enjoying it. I had to set it aside for the past week's comics, though, and spending time at NYCC. :) As for the comics I read in single issues, there are too many to list.

message 3: by Damon (new)

I am finding Pretty Deadly pretty interesting

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul Porry | 10 comments Reading Plutona, by Jeff Lemire and Emi Lenox, and after that Monstress and Huck. Huck has great art by Rafael Albuquerque, and Millar is showing he can do a lot more than violence, shock and vulgarity.

message 5: by Greg (new)

Greg | 67 comments Just read One Piece, Volume 01: Romance Dawn, a fairly wacky tale of a young man with superhero qualities who sets out on his childhood dream of becoming the King of the Pirates!

message 6: by Yamen (new)

Yamen (jolkeli) | 3 comments Concurrently reading The Graveyard Apartment by Mariko Koike and John Constantine Vol. 5: Dangerous Habits

message 7: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 4 comments I just finished Grayson volume 4, which wasn't as good as the first 3 volumes due to the Robin War chapters, and Superman: American Alien, which I enjoyed. I'm about to start Astro City: The Dark Age vol 1 and 2. I think these are the last of the collected Astro City volumes, so once I've read them, I'll be caught up.

message 9: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Bloxham | 3 comments I'm reading the Kalix werewolf stories by Martin Millar, I'm on the second which I have read before and lookign forward to the third which I haven't.
They are great

message 10: by Greg (new)

Greg | 67 comments I'm half-way through Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 and was hoping to finish it today but had too many other things to do. Will probably finish it tomorrow. It's not a bad read so far.

message 11: by Greg (new)

Greg | 67 comments Finished Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 early this morning. Now reading Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2.

message 12: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 31 comments Orange The Complete Collection, Vol. 2 by Ichigo Takano It is sci-fi meets slice of life as friends get a second chance to save one of their own.

message 13: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 31 comments Ian wrote: "Orange The Complete Collection, Vol. 2 by Ichigo Takano It is sci-fi meets slice of life as friends get a second chance to save one of their own."
Oops that is the 2nd one. I still have to order it lol. I meant this one. Orange The Complete Collection, Vol. 1 by Ichigo Takano

message 14: by ReyReyPod (new)

ReyReyPod (reynaldog) Reading Saga Vol.2, and 2012's Harbinger Vol.1.
Very impressed with Harbinger and it has got me into the Valiant-verse again!
Saga is great so far- I like the characters and the scope seems huge as it's essentially galaxy building

message 15: by Damon (new)

I see that on Facebook sometimes. What is it about?

message 16: by ReyReyPod (new)

ReyReyPod (reynaldog) Saga? It's basically about a "Romeo and Juliet" type couple, from warring races, who are hunted by mercy for some reason...it's a hard one to describe as so far it mainly introduces a wealth of characters and puts them in situations. It's well written though, and its curious enough to keep reading!:)

message 17: by Damon (new)

Sorry no I meant Harbinger. I see it on Facebook a bit but have not read anything to do with Valiant before.

message 18: by ReyReyPod (new)

ReyReyPod (reynaldog) Oh! Please do yourself a favour and check it out!

message 19: by ReyReyPod (new)

ReyReyPod (reynaldog) Gah! I wrote a huge comment and only the first line appeared!:(

message 20: by ReyReyPod (new)

ReyReyPod (reynaldog) Definitely check out Valiant. They produce high quality stories and art!

message 21: by ReyReyPod (new)

ReyReyPod (reynaldog) Harbinger is kind of like the X-men of Valiant...with a bit of Akira mixed in...it's about one teenager, Peter Stanchek, who may well be the most powerful Psiot (mutant) ever...high recommend! Great introduction to Valiant universe too!

message 22: by Greg (new)

Greg | 67 comments Finished Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2 this morning. It turned out to be a better read than the first volume. I intend to post reviews of these books soon. Now, on to One Piece, Volume 02: Buggy the Clown!

message 23: by Damon (new)

Have you read any Deadman Wonderland Greg?

message 24: by Greg (new)

Greg | 67 comments Damon wrote: "Have you read any Deadman Wonderland Greg?"

Not yet!

message 25: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 31 comments Greg wrote: "Damon wrote: "Have you read any Deadman Wonderland Greg?"

Not yet!"

Only 13 volumes in the series. :)

message 26: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 31 comments Fairy Tail: Twin Dragons of Sabertooth, Vol. 1 The newest story based on the popular Fairy Tail Manga is out and is based upon the Dragon Slayers Sting and Rogue. :)

message 27: by Damon (new)

Deadman Wonderland seams a bit like the Dragonball Z characters trying to do a prison break.

message 28: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 31 comments Damon wrote: "Deadman Wonderland seams a bit like the Dragonball Z characters trying to do a prison break."

That's not exactly right. The main character is a young man whose classmates were killed by a person he calls the Red Man and has a red stone implanted into his chest before gets accused of the grisly murders. Sent to Deadman Wonderland which is a privately owned prison/amusement park he has a collar put on his neck that will inject him with a deadly poison if he doesn't periodically eat "candy" which will neutralize the poison at least once every 3 days. There are a lot of prisoners but there are others like the main character called deadmen who can use their own blood like weapons and are at times pitted against one another in private battles for wealthy investors. This is just the beginning of the story of course and eventually you see the truth behind the prison eventually come out and who the real villains are before the final battle. :)

message 29: by Greg (new)

Greg | 67 comments Ian wrote: "Greg wrote: "Damon wrote: "Have you read any Deadman Wonderland Greg?"

Not yet!"

Only 13 volumes in the series. :)"

So quite doable then! LOL

message 30: by Greg (new)

Greg | 67 comments Ian wrote: "Damon wrote: "Deadman Wonderland seams a bit like the Dragonball Z characters trying to do a prison break."

That's not exactly right. The main character is a young man whose classmates were killed..."

Sounds good! I'll keep an eye out for this series.

message 31: by Greg (last edited Feb 23, 2017 04:52AM) (new)

Greg | 67 comments It's mid-term break and I've been on a 2000 AD binge! Although I'd been buying issues of the comic, I just didn't have the time from November onwards to sit down and read them. So over the past few days (and in one case three weeks ago) I've read all the November issues (progs 2005-2009) at last! Unfortunately, I missed the first December issue but will be reading the bumper Christmas one shortly.

One thing that's nice about reading the comics over a short space of time is that you have a greater sense of continuity in following the various storylines. It's also nice to be able to indulge in a comic-reading binge!

message 32: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 31 comments Been reading stuff I got from the buy 2 get 1 free sale at Barnes and Noble. Right now it is Black Science, Vol. 1: How to Fall Forever and now I have some Wayward to read. :) Wayward, Vol. 2 Ties That Bind by Jim Zub Wayward, Vol. 3 Out from the Shadows by Jim Zub

Also be sure to check out Death Vigil: Volume 1

message 33: by Greg (last edited Feb 23, 2017 10:51AM) (new)

Greg | 67 comments Death Vigil looks interesting - I've added it to my TBR shelf! I added both Black Science and the Wayward series last summer too but haven't got around to reading any of those yet. In time...

And... I started reading Sinister Dexter: ...And Death Shall Have No Dumb Minions earlier on before stopping and taking the time to add an entry for it on GR. other distractions ensued but now I'm going to finish it! :)

message 34: by Yamen (new)

Yamen (jolkeli) | 3 comments Apart from trying to keep up weekly with all DC ongoing series since Rebirth happened, I'm reading Tsutomu Nihei's BioMega vol. 1 currently.

message 35: by Greg (new)

Greg | 67 comments Yamen wrote: "Apart from trying to keep up weekly with all DC ongoing series since Rebirth happened, I'm reading Tsutomu Nihei's BioMega vol. 1 currently."

I liked Biomega 1! I've been looking our for vol. 2 but I keep seeing 3, 5 or some other volume in my local book shop.

message 36: by Greg (new)

Greg | 67 comments And... I've finished Sinister Dexter: ...And Death Shall Have No Dumb Minions! Not bad, a 3-3.5-star read for me!

message 37: by Filipe (new)

Filipe Alves (filipealves1973) | 4 comments I'm starting to read Fables (all the 22 volumes and extras). Probably till the end of the month. Then - if not tired - Fairest.

message 38: by Greg (new)

Greg | 67 comments Started Noragami: Stray God, Vol. 1 over the weekend. Would have finished it too had I not other things to do... It's a fun take on divinity.

message 39: by Damon (new)

I have started buying the Fables deluxe editions. It is very nice in hardcover.

message 40: by Damon (new)

I am still surprised when reading it that Bill Willingham writes so well (considering his previous work for Eros comics).

message 41: by Greg (new)

Greg | 67 comments Damon wrote: "I am still surprised when reading it that Bill Willingham writes so well (considering his previous work for Eros comics)."

I wonder how unusual it is for writers of mainstream or genre fiction to also dabble at some point in their writing career with erotica.

message 42: by Filipe (new)

Filipe Alves (filipealves1973) | 4 comments I did not knew that detail.... But let's see how Bill can get "under my skin".
The expectations are high, since everywhere you look, Fables is considered a "must read".

Let's see how it goes.
Cheers!

message 43: by Greg (new)

Greg | 67 comments Finished Noragami: Stray God, Vol. 1. Fun read!

message 44: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 31 comments Found The Ghost and the Lady, Book 1 on the bookstore shelves. Nice hardcover book with some historical references, a bit of the occult, some dark imagery as well as some nudity, and an interesting take on why people get exhausted after dealing with overly aggressive people. :)

message 45: by Greg (new)

Greg | 67 comments Ian wrote: "Found The Ghost and the Lady, Book 1 on the bookstore shelves. Nice hardcover book with some historical references, a bit of the occult, some dark imagery as well as some nudity, an..."

Looks interesting - I've added it to my ever-expanding To-Be-Read shelf!

message 46: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 31 comments Greg wrote: "Ian wrote: "Found The Ghost and the Lady, Book 1 on the bookstore shelves. Nice hardcover book with some historical references, a bit of the occult, some dark imagery as well as som..."

From what I can tell the Mangaka did a book about Springheel Jack too but it hasn't been translated yet. :)

message 47: by Greg (new)

Greg | 67 comments Ian wrote: "Greg wrote: "Ian wrote: "Found The Ghost and the Lady, Book 1 on the bookstore shelves. Nice hardcover book with some historical references, a bit of the occult, some dark imagery a..."

That would be fun to read (in translation)!

message 48: by Greg (new)

Greg | 67 comments A couple of days ago, I re-read an old graphic novella called Rigel Express (Starblazer #49). This was to index it for the Grand Comics Database but because it's a comic book and not in electronic format I can't list it on GR. It wasn't a great story - a suicide mission is sent from Earth to defend a space observatory from attack by an alien humanoid species. The suicide team ends up causing havoc on the aliens' home planet but there was no alien POV and they were only presented as cannon fodder for the humans. I probably liked this better when I first read it as a kid!

I'm also reading 2000 AD prog 2011 (the Christmas issue) - and yes, I've fallen way behind in my reading!

message 49: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (iamhorriblylimited) | 20 comments Hey all, I know it's been a while since I've dropped by but I'm currently reading Urasawa's Monster and I'm really enjoying it so far.

message 50: by Erica (new)

Erica (ericatyler) | 4 comments I have been waiting forever for my library to get Batman vol 8 Super Heavy and vol. 9 Bloom. Just finished both 2 days ago and....I gotta say I am underwhelmed.

« previous 1 3