Minnesota Readers discussion

Currently Reading

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (last edited Oct 03, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Kate Cao (bmanatee) | 29 comments Mod
Running with Scissors
This book has been on my TBR (To Be Read) list for yeaaaaars, so I'll be starting this one tonight. I'm hoping I find it more interesting than The Bone Clocks, which I just finished today. What is everyone else currently reading and would you recommend it based on what you've read so far?

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie | 1 comments First Comes Love by Emily Giffin. It's an easy read about family and friendship. It was hard to put down at first, but the middle is kind of dragging. Hope it picks up!

message 3: by Kate (last edited Oct 04, 2016 03:10PM) (new)

Well, I finished Running with Scissors and I have to say, it was not at all what I expected. I knew this had been made into a comedy movie, so I was thinking this book was going to be funny! This was not the case. (view spoiler)

I'll be starting Between the World and Me soon to fulfill my National Book Award Winner requirement for the 2016 PopSugar Reading Challenge!

message 4: by Julie (last edited Oct 07, 2016 08:46AM) (new)

Julie Fleming | 1 comments I just finished reading The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena. It was a very quick read since I was on the beach/airplane. Definitely recommend it. I am currently reading Life After Life by Kate Atkinson for another book club. I've been "trying" to read it for more than a month but am only a few chapters in. - Julie Fleming

message 5: by Kate (last edited Oct 08, 2016 08:00AM) (new)

Julie wrote: "I just finished reading The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena. It was a very quick read since I was on the beach/airplane. Definitely recommend it. I am currently reading Life After Life by Kate Atk..."

The Couple Next Door is on my To Read list! Glad to hear you recommend it! I read Life After Life maybe 2 years ago or so? I remember liking the premise but at times it is definitely a slower moving book. It gets better towards the middle, though! There is also a sequel of sorts called A God in Ruins about Ursula's brother which I have not yet read. Let me know what you think when you get through LAL!

I finished Between the World and Me, which is written in the form of a letter to the author's son about racism in America. I really enjoyed the conversational nature of the book, as well as the perspective given by Ta-Nehisi Coates. While I don't agree with everything Coates had to say (he made many generalizations), his thoughts were important to read and ponder. I would recommend it!

I'm moving on to Fahrenheit 451 to meet the "Book you haven't read since high school" requirement for PopSugar challenge. It's a classic!!

message 6: by Kate (new)

I finished Fahrenheit 451 today and I'm guessing pretty much everyone has read this already, so no review here. Of course I recommend it!! I picked up Don't You Cry by Mary Kubica at the library and I'm hoping this will be a good read around Halloween :) I'll be counting this book as the "First book you see in the library/bookstore/online" for the PopSugar challenge... since when I log in to the library website, it's the only book that was on my hold list for at least the last 6 months. I know, I know, it's a stretch, haha!

message 7: by Alex (new)

Alex | 2 comments Do any of you listen to audiobooks? I started a job where I have to drive a lot. I finish a lot of books by listening while I drive. I really like the Kindle Wispersync. When I'm not driving I can read and then seamlessly go into the audio. It's pretty neat. :)

message 8: by Kate (new)

Alex wrote: "Do any of you listen to audiobooks? I started a job where I have to drive a lot. I finish a lot of books by listening while I drive. I really like the Kindle Wispersync. When I'm not driving I can ..."

I occasionally do audiobooks, but at times I tune out the story if I get distracted with something else! I generally will read and listen to music (classical if the book I'm reading is a challenge). I haven't tried Whispersync - is it similar to Audible? Are you reading/listening to anything good now?

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex | 2 comments Kate wrote: "Alex wrote: "Do any of you listen to audiobooks? I started a job where I have to drive a lot. I finish a lot of books by listening while I drive. I really like the Kindle Wispersync. When I'm not d..."

Wispersync is the kindle ebook and Audible combined. It will actually play the audio and highlight the words as you follow along if you like that. I do a lot of driving so I'm able to get through a lot more books if I listen. For me I stay more focused when I'm listening. I'm distracted much easier when I read.
Right now, I just started Slaughterhouse Five. I really just look for anything that's cheap on Amazon. If you have Kindle Unlimited you can get a lot of "free" books and sometimes it will come with free or super discounted Audible books. You might say I haven't really chosen much of what I'm reading right now. I'm just going a slightly more frugal route.

message 10: by Kate (new)

Alex wrote: "Kate wrote: "Alex wrote: "Do any of you listen to audiobooks? I started a job where I have to drive a lot. I finish a lot of books by listening while I drive. I really like the Kindle Wispersync. W..."

I understand trying to be frugal about books - it is not easy lol! I am trying to get through some of the books that I purchased awhile ago and haven't gotten around to reading them. A bookshelf clean up!

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrissanko) | 7 comments Hello! I just found this group. I'm doing a re-read of Lord of the Rings because I'm going through some tough times right now, and am currently on Two Towers :)

message 12: by Tim (new)

Tim | 3 comments Just saw these posts! It's good to see what others are reading and their opinions of those books. I am currently reading The Elf Queen of Shannara by Terry Brooks. It is the 3rd book of 4 in the Heritage of Shannara series. It is book 8 of the 33 total book he has written about Shannara. I am working through all of them in Terry Brooks' suggested reading order I found on Goodreads.com. The books are pretty good so far in my opinion.

message 13: by Tim (new)

Tim | 3 comments Just saw these posts! It's good to see what others are reading and their opinions of those books. I am currently reading The Elf Queen of Shannara by Terry Brooks. It is the 3rd book of 4 in the Heritage of Shannara series. It is book 8 of the 33 total book he has written about Shannara. I am working through all of them in Terry Brooks' suggested reading order I found on Goodreads.com. The books are pretty good so far in my opinion.

message 14: by Kate (new)

Tim wrote: "Just saw these posts! It's good to see what others are reading and their opinions of those books. I am currently reading The Elf Queen of Shannara by Terry Brooks. It is the 3rd book of 4 in the He..."

Hi, Tim! Is this series fantasy? I want to say I've read one of Brooks' novels before but that was quite awhile ago! I don't know if I could undertake a series with 33 novels before I really clean up my TBR list :)

message 15: by Kate (new)

Chris wrote: "Hello! I just found this group. I'm doing a re-read of Lord of the Rings because I'm going through some tough times right now, and am currently on Two Towers :)"

Hey, Chris! Gotta love LOTR! Always a great reread!

message 16: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Cody (nikkicody) | 2 comments Just finished Nineteen Minutes, which I loved. Now starting 'A Man Called Ove' with a book club we just started at work, so far it's funny and reminds me of a few grumpy old men I know.

message 17: by Denise (new)

Denise (deezl) | 5 comments Currently reading a few books right now!
American Gods for a monthly group read
It Ends with Us for a Twin TBR challenge
The Atlantis Gene for fun (maybe popsugar)
The Sisterhood for fun
Children of Eden for fun

Sorry if it seems weird to be reading 5 books at once. I change books quite often. Kind of like deciding to watch a variety of shows rather than binge watch the same show for too long. This happens especially if I am reading a long book. Like American Gods. I take breaks which consists of reading other books.

message 18: by Amber (new)

Amber Cotton (rosellasweet) | 5 comments Denise wrote: "Currently reading a few books right now!
American Gods for a monthly group read
It Ends with Us for a Twin TBR challenge
The Atlantis Gene for fun ..."

I'm the same way!

message 19: by KarenK2 (new)

KarenK2 (kaykaykay60) I usually have two books going at the same time.

The Museum of Extraordinary Things by Alice Hoffman The Museum of Extraordinary Things by Alice Hoffman

ARC from netgalley.com Map of the Heart by Susan Wiggs Map of the Heart by Susan Wiggs

message 20: by KarenK2 (last edited Aug 20, 2017 05:32AM) (new)

KarenK2 (kaykaykay60) Just starting Purgatory Ridge (Cork O'Connor, #3) by William Kent Krueger by William Kent Krueger

just finishing up Best Intentions by Erika Raskin by Erika Raskin

And The Nowhere Man (Orphan X, #2) by Gregg Hurwitz by Gregg Hurwitz I just read that Bradley Cooper will be Evan Smoaks in the movie

message 21: by Meike (new)

Meike (meikereads) | 13 comments I am currently taking part in the Bookerthon, reading all books longlisted for the Man Booker Prize 2017. I've already read

Lincoln in the Bardo
Autumn
History of Wolves
4 3 2 1
Swing Time
Solar Bones
Exit West and
Home Fire.

I am currently finishing Days Without End, next will be Reservoir 13!

message 22: by Carol (last edited Jun 22, 2018 04:25PM) (new)

Carol | 2 comments just started reading This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp & Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Still Reading The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur

Finished: Death Doesn't Bargain (Deadman's Cross, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

message 24: by Meike (new)

Meike (meikereads) | 13 comments The Booker longlist!!

message 25: by James (last edited Jul 25, 2018 10:46AM) (new)

James Speiker | 6 comments Two books, each for a local book club.

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund

The Boys in the Boat Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown

message 26: by KarenK2 (new)

KarenK2 (kaykaykay60) James, what do you think about History of Wolves? I read it last year.

message 27: by KarenK2 (new)

KarenK2 (kaykaykay60) Meike wrote: "The Booker longlist!!"

What book is this? Can you link it?

message 28: by James (new)

James Speiker | 6 comments Karen wrote: "James, what do you think about History of Wolves? I read it last year."

Just picked it up last night from our meeting, haven't opened it. I was a little uncertain if I would enjoy it. Now, I am hopeful from what the other members raved about the story. We will see next month.

Just finished: Killers of the Flower Moon The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann and I would highly recommend. Great author/storyteller and compelling book. Sad but compelling.

message 30: by James (new)

James Speiker | 6 comments Karen wrote: "Meike wrote: "The Booker longlist!!"

What book is this? Can you link it?"

I was wondering also. It is a long list of books that are up for a prize in Britain. The longlist now, a shortlist (winner?) is named in September. Here they are:
Snap by Belinda Bauer Milkman by Anna Burns Sabrina by Nick Drnaso Washington Black A Novel by Esi Edugyan In Our Mad and Furious City by Guy Gunaratne Everything Under by Daisy Johnson The Mars Room by Rachel Kushner The Water Cure by Sophie Mackintosh Warlight by Michael Ondaatje The Overstory by Richard Powers The Long Take by Robin Robertson Normal People by Sally Rooney From a Low and Quiet Sea by Donal Ryan

Sorry Meike if I stole your thunder. I was looking it up for myself and saw someone else was also interested.

message 31: by KarenK2 (new)

KarenK2 (kaykaykay60) Interesting. Thanks James

message 32: by KarenK2 (new)

KarenK2 (kaykaykay60) Karen wrote: "Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtryLonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry"

I just finished, 5 stars!!

message 33: by nx74defiant (new)

nx74defiant | 8 comments I just finished Heaven to Betsy by Maud Hart Lovelace

Those books were my childhood favorites.

message 34: by Meike (new)

Meike (meikereads) | 13 comments Guys, the Twin Cities are rocking the National Book Awards!

Jos Charles' "feeld," published by Milkweed Editions, Justin Phillip Reed's "Indecency," published by Coffee House Press, and "Eye Level," by Jenny Xie, published by Graywolf Press, are all in contention for the poetry prize.

St. Paul writer Bryan Bliss is on the Young People's Literature list for "We'll Fly Away."

Jamel Brinkley's "A Lucky Man" is longlisted in the fiction category.

How cool is that!?

message 35: by KarenK2 (new)

KarenK2 (kaykaykay60) Very cool. 😎😎

message 36: by nx74defiant (new)

nx74defiant | 8 comments I just finished Esther by Rebecca Kanner.

Not my favorite book about Queen Esther.

message 37: by KarenK2 (new)

KarenK2 (kaykaykay60) I am currently reading Winter Loon by Susan Bernhard Winter Loon by Susan Bernhard. Coming of age story set in rural Minnesota. The characters are less than loveable with hard pasts and bleak futures. Good story.

message 38: by James (new)

James Speiker | 6 comments The Minnesota Stories of Sinclair Lewis
Was wondering if this group is still active. I am in a small book club and this is our book for the month. It appears to be a collection of short stories.