The Bibliophiles discussion

The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
This topic is about The Hound of the Baskervilles
Book of the Month > October BOTM: The Hound of The Baskervilles

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lisa (lml369_07) | 1048 comments Mod
This is thread for the October BOTM The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle. This is one of the Sherlock novels I have not read yet so I am excited to get my hands on it. I hope everyone enjoys and please share your thoughts!

message 2: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny (mentha) | 333 comments I think I might pick up this one. :)

I got one of those Barnes and Noble leather bound editions of all the Sherlock books for Christmas last year and I can't wait to read from it!

Kandice Lisa wrote: "I got one of those Barnes and Noble leather bound editions of all the Sherlock books for Christmas last year and I can't wait to read from it!"

I have that one too! I love the way those books look on a shelf together. I'm a little irritated they are beginning to re-release some with the same content, but different cover. :<(

message 5: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny (mentha) | 333 comments I have that one too! But its heavy to take on the bus so I'm gonna get a lighter library one ^,^

Jenny wrote: "I have that one too! But its heavy to take on the bus so I'm gonna get a lighter library one ^,^"

Haha Luckily (also unluckily when I want to read away from home) I only really get to read at my house so I don't have to worry about carrying around such a large tome! I'm so excited! I've got like 70 pages of another book I have to push through before I can start this. I just need more time on my hands!

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Pifher (shannonpifher) | 35 comments I am one of those people who cant start a series in the middle. I have to start at the beginning so i know how everyone got to where they are. So i am reading the first book instead and hope to eventually get to the 5th book. The first book is A Study in Scarlet.

Very excited to start a new series!!

I also started reading Carrie, i want to get all in this October!

Shannon wrote: "I am one of those people who cant start a series in the middle. I have to start at the beginning so i know how everyone got to where they are. So i am reading the first book instead and hope to eve..."

Wow!! Good luck!! I so badly wish I had more time to read! I think back to when I was in high school and I could fly through a thick Stephen King novel between Monday and Friday, just in time to get a new book for the weekend. Ah those were the days! Can't wait to hear what you think!!

message 9: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Pifher (shannonpifher) | 35 comments Lisa,

Idk much about you, bit its easy for me to read because i dont have kids. So i just read in my free time. And i only work 3 12's/ week so there is 4 days off.
The first Sherlock is only 135 pages too so i can usually get through a book that short in a few days.

Or right now my husband is watching baseball and i am reading :)

message 10: by Curtis (new)

Curtis Cooper | 1 comments I had to read this book for a project in my English class and I really enjoyed it. It was the first Sherlock Holmes book I have ever read and it didn't disappoint. Although at times the plot got a little bit confusing and hard to follow I still enjoyed the suspense throughout the plot which made me want to keep reading. I also thought this book was an easy read. It only took a couple hours to get through and definitely was entertaining.

Kandice I find most of the Sherlock Holmes are quick reads and if I get a little confused I just keep reading and it sorts itself out. I think they are fun reads.

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shannon, Yes you definitely have a leg up on me in the time to read department haha. I work 40 hrs a week, come home at 5 and take care of my 3 dogs, 6 yr old daughter and lazy butt of a hubby. My goal is to have my daughter in bed by 8 each night so that give me 3 hours to, get her to karate or gymnastics which between the two, we have 4 hour long classes a week, then get home, cook, clean, get my daughter bathed and ready for bed, do any homework she's got, clean up from dinner, tend to any personal grooming I need like showering and such and then any other miscellaneous activity I must attend to on that particular day. And weekends are mostly reserved for complete house cleaning and any workouts I can fit in which normally takes the whole two days. So long story short, I don't have enough time to read!!! And it's torturous but I'm lucky to have a good life so I truly can't complain too much. So enjoy your reading time for me haha!!

Curtis, I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!! I'm about halfway through it and am really enjoying it!!

Kandice, that's exactly how I feel haha. I think to myself 'Well, that didn't make much sense...bbuuuttt I'll keep reading and see what happens.'

Kandice Lisa wrote: "Kandice, that's exactly how I feel haha. I think to myself 'Well, that didn't make much sense...bbuuuttt I'll keep reading and see what happens.' ..."

And it always gets sorted. I think that's why I find them so comforting. No matter how much WTFery goes on, Sherlock gets it done.

message 14: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

I agree 100%!

message 15: by Poulomi (new)

Poulomi Mandal (pozhere) I have never read a Sherlock story. But am eager to try this one out! Hope it turns out good...

Kandice The other nice think about these is that you don't HAVE to read them in order. Sherlock has become such a part of the world that everyone knows the basics.

message 17: by Jenny (last edited Oct 20, 2016 07:30AM) (new) - added it

Jenny (mentha) | 333 comments Also, the stories themselves are pretty self contained and don't really contain any cliffhangers so there is no need to read more than one if you don't feel like it. Seriously, Sherlock stories are great ^.^

message 18: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Agreed!! Thank you Arthur Conan Doyle!

message 19: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Pifher (shannonpifher) | 35 comments Finished the first one. Loved it!

I found a complete collection of every sherlock holmes story on amazon kindle for only 99cents! Excited to keep reading!

message 20: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shannon wrote: "Finished the first one. Loved it!

I found a complete collection of every sherlock holmes story on amazon kindle for only 99cents! Excited to keep reading!"

Awesome!! I love Amazon so much when I find stuff like that. Glad you enjoyed it! I've read that one and liked it a lot but would like to do a re-read.

Kandice Have any of you watched Sherlock on BBC? They take traditional Sherlock books and put a modern spin on them. A Study in Scarlet became A Study in Pink. Like that. Very, very good.

message 22: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh Kandice! That is one of my top 5 favorite shows of all time!! I recommend it to literally EVERYONE! Such a fantastic show. Can't wait for the new season!

message 23: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Pifher (shannonpifher) | 35 comments What! Its a show too?
I hope its on Netflix or amazon or at least on demand. I don't get the BBC network

Thanks for getting me into the world of Sherlock! Im halfway through the second book!

Kandice Shannon wrote: "What! Its a show too?
I hope its on Netflix or amazon or at least on demand. I don't get the BBC network

Thanks for getting me into the world of Sherlock! Im halfway through the second book!"

It used to be on Netflix, but now there are NO BBC shows on there. :*( If you have Cox cable, it's onDemand on BBC America.

message 25: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Pifher (shannonpifher) | 35 comments I have Direct TV. Ill check though! Thanks!

message 26: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have finally finished it! I know it took me all month but I really enjoyed it. Such a great classic!